• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splat Zones: how can I stop getting dominated every match?

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
Hiya, been reading squidboards for a while but finally decided to join in. I didn't play the first Splatoon, but on the new one I've been doing decently well in Rainmaker (S) and Tower Control (A-) so far. Sadly I just cannot seem to escape B+ rank for Splat Zones. I've searched far and wide on the boards, youtube, etc. for tips, and many have helped (stay outside the zones, wait for teammates to respawn, etc.), but almost everything is from the original Splatoon. Anybody have some specific advice on how to succeed in Splatoon 2?

Just about every match goes the same for me...I creep around the outside of the zone looking to help and splat anyone I can, and usually my team is able to take the zone. It looks good for about a minute, then the other team takes control and we are utterly obliterated from that point onward.

BTW my typical weapons of choice are N-Zap, Dualie Squelchers, & Standard Splattershot.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There's no real differences between Splatoon 1 and 2 when it comes to Splat Zones so an tips regarding the first games should apply.

At any rate, Splat Zones is unlike Turf War in that a win or a lose feel much more one-sided (to me at least). Overall (and this is judging from Splatnet 2), I win more than I lose, but a lose feels much worse because matches can go on for a while or because it's hard to feel like you're contributing whenever the other team has control. So, I suggest checking if you're actually doing all that bad in it in the first place.

Other than that, I play pretty much exactly the same in both modes, with the obvious exception that I'm focusing on the Splat Zone whenever needed. Just like in Turf War, I try to get the foe to stay back, chase any people who I'm certain I can handle (based on the terrain they're in), try to be a bit more careful once the enemy gets the upper hand, etc. I also try to use any opportunity I have (if we're in control and pretty safe) to ink some and get my special gauge up. Seeing as it's not a very inking-heavy mode, but there's a lot of times a lot of enemies gather at one place, that usually works out pretty well for me.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Try different weapons, and keep practicing and improving. I don't have any better advice, but I know that practice is fundamental to improvement in anything.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The zone is the priority. Watch your allies - are they focusing on controlling it? If not, you need to step up and do so. Also take advantage of opportunities to push forward, map control is extremely important in splat zones and if 2/3/4 opponents are splatted you should move up and paint as much as you can. That could be a factor in your being obliterated, your team isn't holding the map well enough, it can be very difficult to come back if the enemy's been painting and your team hasn't.

Jon914

Pro Squid
Know the map well.

If you're controlling the zone, you should proactively be keeping an eye on side paths that the enemy will try to use to surprise you. If the enemy keeps using the same entry points, you should pick up on that and pre-empt their invasion before it begins.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Need more info to give a diagnosis. But in general, if you don't know how to improve, look at things your teammates do that annoy you, or things that your opponents do that you think are stupid, then make sure you aren't doing them yourself.

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
Agreed with pretty much everything here, I'll also add this: Know your weapon. For example, short range weapons do better with sneaking around opponents and catching them off guard, not head to head combat. Long range weapons, however, are perfect for just that. Chargers will want to tend to stay away from inside the zone itself, so they can pick off players from a distance. Just really learn the weapons you plan on using.

Also, when you start, I find it helpful to ink around the base a lot, as a special charger. Might be an unpopular opinion, and might not work for every weapon (I use the dualies, which makes this process really quick, so I'm able to join my teammates as quickly as possible.) A good use of your special can give you an upper hand, especially when everyone on the other team gathers in the same place usually (in or near the zone.) Good luck!

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
As soon as you get a hold of the zone, stay vigilant but ink, ink, ink! Around the zone, mainly where the opposite team tends to sneak around to get back into the action. If you ink a good chunk in front of the Splat Zone you will quickly see flankers and routes they're attempting to use.
Check the map quickly, just for a second, every now and then, to see where the enemy is trying to infiltrate.
If an opponent kills you and you think your teammates mightn't be aware of him, say "Ouch!" to alert them.

If you aren't in hold of the zone, don't jump into the zone all willy-nilly (I do this too sometimes, in desperation, but it's really a terrible thing to do). It's much better just to ink and bomb with your teammates, and once you get your special ready, try to use it to the best of your ability. Two teammates using a special at once is even better. I have turned around quite a few bad matches this way. :)

I will try to come up with some more tips!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Zones are the odd-one out in terms of the Ranked modes, getting map control is a lot more vital than going for kills. With TC/RM it gets harder for the winning team as they need to get closer to the enemy spawn to win, this is not the case with zones as the objective stays on the same place. It eventually becomes the opposite, it becomes harder for the losing team as the controlling team now can entrench themselves and set up ambushes as the losing team has to push to regain control of mid.

One new change that they've added is that now a lot more maps have one central zone as opposed to two, making it even more camp-happy as the enemy team no longer has to spread itself thin over multiple zones.

So as it is, once you lose control of mid and the enemy gains control you're in for an uphill battle. Know your limitations, make sure to stay with your team and stay alive as you slowly push ahead with your team. Don't panic as their counter starts decreasing. Don't engage in lopsided fights against two inklings at once, your odds of winning are not good and even if you take out one if you screw up you'll waste time respawning. Push them back and slowly climb back to the center and regain control. Cover each other's backs, don't stick too close so specials won't be an issue and beware of the more defensive weapons (chargers/heavies).
If you have a weapon with Ink Armor it'll help a lot with pushing, ambushers will think twice before assaulting an armored inkling. Bomb Launcher might be able to briefly snatch the zone and give them the penalty timer as a desperation move.

On the flipside, defending the zone is easier as long as you don't die. Play safe, defensive and keep a hold on your territory. Don't get trigger-happy, the objective is right in your hands. But do retreat if the enemy is outnumbering you. Nothing is worse than a wipe for this mode as the enemy can make a straight beeline to the Zone and you'll have a much harder time getting it back.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Well, I generally avoid Humpback Pumptrack since it's zone is nearly impossible to get after the enemy obtains it, but my advise is to get control of the zone, and stay in it to splat enemies trying to get to it. At the start of the game, I generally just stand on a high place to ink the zone while my teammates kill people, but maybes that's just my weapon. Sometimes I flank around, though.

dishwasher

Full Squid
Splat zones is one of my better game modes, and 90% of that was becoming comfortable with my weapon - actually pretty much all of this game has been about that. I now main a charger, but my go-to splat zones weapon was the rapid blaster. Since I wasn't the best at sneaking around, it helped me stay back with its range, as well as the indirect hits can be crucial to getting someone to move from a hiding spot.

Additionally, specials are more important than ever on Splat zones. Any of the bomb rushes (although I don't recommend using the curling bomb rush as it's limited to the ground) can easily push the other team back and help take the zone.

Try messing around with other weapons and special combinations as each has it's own advantage/disadvantage. And remember to check the range of a new weapon before running into battle - you might find yourself outmatched quite quickly!

shudder

Senior Squid
Like others have said, zone is the top priority. I've been in solo matches where time is running out and the other team has zone control and a teammate simply ignores inking it. Always be mindful of the zone, that is the objective, even if you die but manage to cover it that's a win for your side. Stay aggressive after zone control, watch all avenues, ink control like all modes is so important. Watch how your other teammates are playing, if they are too aggressive you may want to stay back and be more defensive and vice versa.

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
Obtain the zone quickly, unless you're doing all the splatting. I find people are really slow to get the zone and there no one or only 1 person left on the enemy team. Even 5 seconds is valuable.
Ink, overwhelm the enemy team with your ink, this will make it more difficult for them to press for the zone.

If there's time on the clock and you're not in control ink up and get your special. Specials are important, be strategic in what special you're using. Ink rain and Tenta missiles are my favorite because they don't require me to be on the zone like the splashdown. If you're using that don't just hop on the zone and use it, rarely does that work in higher level play. Any of those specials will help push the enemy back. If you're hasty you'll just keep losing.
Ink armor is still really good for support too but please don't use it when you're whole team is dead or the enemy team lol

Lastly if you can always target the long range weapons, especially the charger. I see a lot of people failing to make any press because they are super wary of the charger, more so if they are very good.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Obtain the zone quickly, unless you're doing all the splatting. I find people are really slow to get the zone and there no one or only 1 person left on the enemy team. Even 5 seconds is valuable.
Ink, overwhelm the enemy team with your ink, this will make it more difficult for them to press for the zone.

If there's time on the clock and you're not in control ink up and get your special. Specials are important, be strategic in what special you're using. Ink rain and Tenta missiles are my favorite because they don't require me to be on the zone like the splashdown. If you're using that don't just hop on the zone and use it, rarely does that work in higher level play. Any of those specials will help push the enemy back. If you're hasty you'll just keep losing.
Ink armor is still really good for support too but please don't use it when you're whole team is dead or the enemy team lol

Lastly if you can always target the long range weapons, especially the charger. I see a lot of people failing to make any press because they are super wary of the charger, more so if they are very good.
My biggest pet peeve in any mode (but it shows up in zones the most) is when I'm the only person willing to take out a good charger. A bad charger, most people learn to ignore, but a good one, too often my teammates will let that charger funnel them into bad spots where they can't help maintain the zone.

When a good charger is on the map, it sometimes creates an order of operations where you have to take out the charger to gain control of the map, and I find, too often, I'm the only one who realizes, "Hey, if we take out this charger just once, our lives will be pretty easy." Because once you take out a charger, it's easier to keep that charger from getting to the spots where they are most effective. I can't even count how many games my team was getting stomped, but then I took out the charger and suddenly my team turned everything around.

And furthermore, even if you are afraid of the charger yourself, if you see a teammate going to take the charger out, try to help flank. Either you'll be a distraction and the teammate can take the charger out or the other way around, but either way, you'll take that charger out.

I think too many players don't know how to prioritize objectives in splat zones. This good charger is merely one example of that. Sometimes you have to clear out an area before taking a zone. Sometimes the enemy is far enough away that you should take the zone then hold it. Sometimes there's a single threat on the other team that, when taken out, makes it easy to hold the zone. And if one or multiple teammates aren't able to clearly prioritize the correct objectives, individual performances don't matter nearly as much.

uhhhhhhhh

Inkster Jr.
3 things:
Performance
Gear
Know your maps:
-Common traffic of each level

Performance:
I make sure to swim back and forth often and set my sensitivity high on the R-stick so I can I see if anyone's coming quickly. I usually ink as much as I can and gain territory control and keep using specials as often as possible without giving up the territory. Find the strategy that works for you and plays off your strengths. As mentioned in this thread, there are many ways but communication and getting there first is often key.

Gear:
Try new weapons, learn how to get the most out of your subs/specials, experiment with new gear. A lot of subs are designed to pinch off choke points, for example I buffed my sub power and spammed toxic mist with the splashomatic and won about 25 splat zones consecutively with this strategy. Doesn't work all the time tho, lol. You have to be flexible. Try new techniques / gear like special charge ups or ink efficiency ups. Mix it up and get into a Groove!

Know maps:
You need to learn where the most common traffic is for each level so you can plan and sneak, etc. Check the map ALL THE TIME! Get good at hitting the map so you can see where they are inking. You might not see their icons on the map but you can figure out where they're inking (cuz let's face it, nearly everyone is inking territory all the time to charge their specials) ---- if you do this well you will be the guy driving everyone nuts cuz they'll be thinking "how does they always know where I is?"

Good luck!!

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Someone gave me this advice, and it's pretty good:

"Paint the zone. Unless your enemies start painting the zone. Then kill them."

Also, don't die in the zone.

Dark.Pch

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dark.Pch
I'll try to dish out advice based on my mindset when I play splat zones. Hopefully this can help you out.

When the match is about to start, keep in mind what weapons your enemies have. This can give you an idea of how fast they can claim a Zone. For example, if you are on a team of shooters and the other team is filled with 2 chargers, a dynamo roller and splating, Your team can clam the Zone faster then they can. But the kill power is better then yours since they can pick your team off from a distance. The enemy team will have to focus more on killing so they can claim the zone. And if they can't do that well enough, your team can just rush them down, take them out, get the zone and cover their area with ink. Thus making it really hard for them to get the zone and move. So keeping in mind what weapons the enemy has (and even your teammates) lets you know what you should and should not be doing. If you are on a team with 2 chargers, and a splatling for example, you have to be more aggressive and be in the front lines. If you die, the other support weapons on your team will get rushed down. You really can't sit back alot (This does not mean just go in with no caution though). If your other teammates are good with their weapons, then they will have your back and be annoying to the other team. Slow them down or even kill them. Or you be the distraction and your teammates get a sneak kill since the enemy is worry about you atm.

You don't really wanna go for the zone most of the time at the start. It's best to drop the numbers of the enemy team. If you can get the team down to half while you still have at least 3, you can really cover the zones and not have much to worry. You can cover space quickly and limit the movement options of the enemy as well as the chances of getting sneaked attacked. In some cases, you could go for the zone first but only if your team is fast, otherwise, drop numbers so you can gain the zone. Also when going for the zones, do not go at it alone. It's best to be near an ally so if an inklling was to shot at him, you can take him out or double team them. Going alone usually leads to one getting splatted, then numbers get reduced. if you are good with your shots and have good movement, you could go at it alone and splat some inklings. If you can get 2 kills that is good, even if you die and have at least 3 members. otherwise stay close to an teammate but not so close that if he was to die, you die quickly. Have a bit of distance to cover/double team.

If Both you and your enemy are inking the zone, this could be a chance to get kills. I'll give you an example. I'm a jet squelcher. I'm in a high area trying to gain control of the zone. There is somebody on the bottom doing the same thing. I give up the tug of war and decided to aim for him. Now what happens is I either get the kill, or he runs off. Stopping him from what he is doing. Stopping one from trying to achieve an objective is just as good as trying to gain it yourself. And this is a smart play by me cause as a Jet squelcher, its not that good at covering turf well. So he would have claim more space them me. And I am being still for a while. Giving the enemy a chance to sneak a kill on me. In your case with the weapons you use, you could go around and take them out or just toss a bomb at them and hold ground. OR support an ally lower numbers, then go for the zone. Sometimes tug of wars depending on the weapon are not worth it. Don't focus on the zone (unless you have no choice) and just try to care the enemy off if possible.

With all that said, you state that you gain control but then lose it and get destroyed. I think the main reason for this is when you gain, the zone, you don't push advantage.I'll give an example. Me and my teammates take out the whole enemy team. And gain the zone. After we do, we just stay around the zone. While this is not completely bad, we are letting the team get to the area and then fight them off. This is giving a chance for the enemy to fight back, win, then get zone. You don't wanna do that. If possible, when you gain zone and lower numbers, head straight for their area and limit space. This makes it a pain to even get close to the zone. Which might be happening to you. If you are unsure to either go to their side and flant or not, you can always cover exits to get near the zone with ink. Cover all the paths that an inkling could get to the zone from their sides without having to flant. When you do this always look around the exits you covered. if you see an inkling shooting near it, that means they are trying to get in. Now you know where they are. And can kill them head on or hide around that area and when they get close, pop out and get a quick kill. Take control of your advantage. Push your advantage. Don't always wait for a fight to come to you. Stop a fight from even happening.

Last tip is if you are the only one on your team, do not try to go in getting the zone alone. Hold your ground and wait for the team to come back. Hold your ground or back off a lil. But don't trying to get the zone alone or pick fights. Be defensive till the team is back. Then work on dropping numbers. And claim zone.

Hope all this helps and good luck.

iLosT

Inkling
NNID
iLosT
Hiya, been reading squidboards for a while but finally decided to join in. I didn't play the first Splatoon, but on the new one I've been doing decently well in Rainmaker (S) and Tower Control (A-) so far. Sadly I just cannot seem to escape B+ rank for Splat Zones. I've searched far and wide on the boards, youtube, etc. for tips, and many have helped (stay outside the zones, wait for teammates to respawn, etc.), but almost everything is from the original Splatoon. Anybody have some specific advice on how to succeed in Splatoon 2?

Just about every match goes the same for me...I creep around the outside of the zone looking to help and splat anyone I can, and usually my team is able to take the zone. It looks good for about a minute, then the other team takes control and we are utterly obliterated from that point onward.

BTW my typical weapons of choice are N-Zap, Dualie Squelchers, & Standard Splattershot.
One thing I could advise is aggressive plays very well in this game mode. You have to play aggressive to get the zone, as well as maintain the zone for the time period to win. Map control in the opponent's territory is crucial to your success. If you can block off their spawn exits to only a couple ways, then you can work them to your advantage and run the zone clock down. If you get taken out and the other team does this to you, you still need to play aggressive and work different flanks until you can get through. This is the most team based game of all in my opinion because 4 players focusing on keeping players in their spawn is crucial to the success of a win. Same goes for trying to get back out of your own, one squid is much tougher against 2 squids. Being aggressive together is the best strategy I can give here.

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
I want to give a huge thanks to everyone who has taken the time to offer advice! I'm happy to say that it helped a ton and I have finally been able to reach S (and even stay a while without de-ranking) in Splat Zones. It's still a long way off from S+50, but I'm working on it. Here are a few things that made the biggest difference in my opinion:

- Map awareness/understanding paths enemies may attempt to sneak in from and cutting them off.

- Becoming comfortable with more weapons & their subs/specials. My special has turned around a lot of matches where it seemed like there was no chance for coming back. Also, I've gotten a better idea of what weapons will serve me well on certain maps. Sometimes I can succeed by staying back and playing defensively with the Jet Squelcher, other times it pays off to pick up the Dapple Dualies and be super-aggressive.

- As several have pointed out, recognizing enemies who are making it too easy for the other team and making them a top priority when possible (particularly Chargers & Heavy Splatlings). There's no telling how many matches I lost along the way where an enemy Splatling was standing up high somewhere, just painting away to their heart's content, completely unopposed by my own team. :)

Raxel920

Full Squid
I'm a newb and what tips I have probably aren't good, but I'll give what I have.

I main Sploosh (At least for right now) And I like to stay hidden in the Zone, then jump out and splat enemies when they get close. This likely only works with high-damage weapons though. Your strategy should differ depending on your weapon.

Like many here are saying, the Zone and nearby turf are top priority, but opponents are second. Make sure to try and splat any nearby enemies and ink nearby enemy puddles, and make sure to get them all to prevent the enemy team from Super Jumping. Though if you have a weapon that isn't good for combat then stay away.

Charger/Splatling campers can be a big advantage. for your team and the other team. If you see one and you have a high-mobility weapon, try and go get them.

Again these are probably trash but I hope they help you in some way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom