• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splat Zones in Blackbelly Skatepark Gameplay!

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
Gamexplain uploaded some awesome footage of Splat Zones:
Will be using the roller can confirm.

Also, this may sound ironic considering the post itself, but would it be a good idea to have stickied thread somewhere to have all the gameplay pre-release in one thread for easy access?

Just wondering, since it might be hard if someone is trying to specifically find a certain pre-release video or something.

Also, for those wondering about overtime:
Ok to everyone who doesn't understand the Overtime it's quite simple. It's the same as TF2 King of The Hill Overtime. Here is how this works:

I will start with TF2. Say that Red has the King of the Hill point; but, at the moment their time expires, Blu (that is how it is spelled in TF2 for those not aware) has members on the point, and are in the process of capturing the it. Instead of just saying "Nope, you stood on it too late, the game is now over" the game goes into Overtime. During this time, if Red manages to capture the point fully, once, at all, Red wins. However. if Blu can hold Red off for their entire remaining timer without giving up control even ONCE, Blu wins.

Now, back to this video:

In the scenario we see, when normal time ran out, Green was in the lead, as they had a lower timer. However, Purple was in control of both points. So, what happens is that as long as Purple can keep map control the game isn't over yet. Notice that during the entire overtime, Green never captures both zones. They at most have one and the other is neutral. Notice also, that in other points of the game, a team is only declared to be in control if they have full ownership of both zones. What is happening is the same as above: because Purple was in control of the map when time ran out, they get one last chance to turn the game around. The event that decided it was right at the end of the video. At 2:50, purple is in total control. By 2:55 they have lost one zone to green, and the final zone is neutral. By 3:00 purple has taken back one zone, which the player we are watching is looking at. Green takes that zone, and turns around. At 3:03, she throws a Splat Bomb into the middle of purple's only zone. The moment it detonates, Overtime ends. What happened here is that the Splat Bomb's detonation captured the second zone, giving Green total map control before Purple could reverse the game. As such, it ends in a green victory. It's just a little more hectic to notice since zone control changes so quickly and there are 2 to keep track of.

This is to prevent a situation where a team is ahead so far that as soon as you hit a certain point in the timer, all efforts by the trailing team are meaningless. Without this mechanic, if you have a 60 point lead and it's the final 30 seconds of the game, it's already over. With this though, you have to keep fighting till the end.

Last edited:

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
Like that they mix it up with multiple zones to cover.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very cool! Thank you for sharing. :)

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
*devising strategies & load outs now* :p naw even the ranked looks mad fun. while ranked Splat Zones are a very basic control point scenario, they're still conducive to going either way.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Not sure if I like that map but the mode still looks really fun

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Hmm, what exactly determines when overtime ends? In the video it didn't seem to coincide with any particular unique event, and I didn't see any additional timer anywhere.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
I'm confused on how Overtime works as well, but that looks like a pretty fun diversion from Turf War. I don't see myself playing it particularly often, though.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Whoa, multiple zones. Very interesting. Was expecting maybe that central tower thing to be it, but that is much better and requires more thought.

Also, where is the urchin underpass gameplay?

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Also, where is the urchin underpass gameplay?
Looking at the youtube comments, it seems the video on youtube was named incorrectly at first but was fixed later. Looks like the OP used the old title of the video to make the thread. I don't think there was supposed to be any splat zone footage of Urchin Underpass.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Thank god for multiple hills, or splat zones i should say. I was worried that the gametype would be too dull with only one zone on each map

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I was concerned about splatzones getting stale, I'm a lot less worried now.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
Looking at the youtube comments, it seems the video on youtube was named incorrectly at first but was fixed later. Looks like the OP used the old title of the video to make the thread. I don't think there was supposed to be any splat zone footage of Urchin Underpass.
Fixed :D

Also, I REALLY want to know what the heck is going one with that overtime and how it works.
To be honest, I didn't pick up on anything during the video.

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
Ok to everyone who doesn't understand the Overtime it's quite simple. It's the same as TF2 King of The Hill Overtime. Here is how this works:

I will start with TF2. Say that Red has the King of the Hill point; but, at the moment their time expires, Blu (that is how it is spelled in TF2 for those not aware) has members on the point, and are in the process of capturing the it. Instead of just saying "Nope, you stood on it too late, the game is now over" the game goes into Overtime. During this time, if Red manages to capture the point fully, once, at all, Red wins. However. if Blu can hold Red off for their entire remaining timer without giving up control even ONCE, Blu wins.

Now, back to this video:

In the scenario we see, when normal time ran out, Green was in the lead, as they had a lower timer. However, Purple was in control of both points. So, what happens is that as long as Purple can keep map control the game isn't over yet. Notice that during the entire overtime, Green never captures both zones. They at most have one and the other is neutral. Notice also, that in other points of the game, a team is only declared to be in control if they have full ownership of both zones. What is happening is the same as above: because Purple was in control of the map when time ran out, they get one last chance to turn the game around. The event that decided it was right at the end of the video. At 2:50, purple is in total control. By 2:55 they have lost one zone to green, and the final zone is neutral. By 3:00 purple has taken back one zone, which the player we are watching is looking at. Green takes that zone, and turns around. At 3:03, she throws a Splat Bomb into the middle of purple's only zone. The moment it detonates, Overtime ends. What happened here is that the Splat Bomb's detonation captured the second zone, giving Green total map control before Purple could reverse the game. As such, it ends in a green victory. It's just a little more hectic to notice since zone control changes so quickly and there are 2 to keep track of.

This is to prevent a situation where a team is ahead so far that as soon as you hit a certain point in the timer, all efforts by the trailing team are meaningless. Without this mechanic, if you have a 60 point lead and it's the final 30 seconds of the game, it's already over. With this though, you have to keep fighting till the end.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid

Now, back to this video:

Added to OP.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
The event that decided it was right at the end of the video. At 2:50, purple is in total control. By 2:55 they have lost one zone to green, and the final zone is neutral. By 3:00 purple has taken back one zone, which the player we are watching is looking at. Green takes that zone, and turns around. At 3:03, she throws a Splat Bomb into the middle of purple's only zone. The moment it detonates, Overtime ends. What happened here is that the Splat Bomb's detonation captured the second zone, giving Green total map control before Purple could reverse the game. As such, it ends in a green victory. It's just a little more hectic to notice since zone control changes so quickly and there are 2 to keep track of.
From what I could see, the last splat bomb didn't give green full control over both zones. At least from the score card, the other zone was still neutral at the end. Unless something happened at the other zone for green to capture it at the exact same moment that the splat bomb went off, but it seems strange that the zones don't show as captured before the match ends. It's just this very last moment that is confusing, I expected overtime to work the way you described but it didn't look to me like the ending condition was met.

Last edited:

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
From what I could see, the last splat bomb didn't give green full control over both zones. At least from the score card, the other zone was still neutral at the end. Unless something happened at the other zone for green to capture it at the exact same moment that the splat bomb went off, but it seems strange that the zones don't show as captured before the match ends. It's just this very last moment that is confusing, I expected overtime to work the way you described but it didn't look to me like the ending condition was met.
It's likely that you don't need to have control of the hills to end the game, but at least force them neutral, so if purple doesn't have at least one hill fully controlled then they lose.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
This looks like it'll be a ton of fun with multiple splat zones, it'll be interesting to see what strategies pop up around it. I am glad to see a tf2-style overtime, as it was mentioned it makes it so there's never a point where you should just give up.

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
It's likely that you don't need to have control of the hills to end the game, but at least force them neutral, so if purple doesn't have at least one hill fully controlled then they lose.
I am surprised this isn't it myself actually, but there are a few points where Green has full control of a zone, and the other is neutral so it's not that.

Hmm...yes that does make it look a bit odd. I am fairly certain that is what happened though I can't point to something here that makes it more immediately clear. If I find something else that helps I'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom