• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest, your luck, and who you chose.

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
Well, yesterday was officially the 5th Splatfest I participated in. Splatfest's are just an awesome signature to Splatoon. I don't know how or why, but the universe doesn't want me to lose in Splatfest. My score as of now is 5-0. Considering my luck is still high and strong, I'll tell you what my decisions are for future Splatfest's if you ask really nicely :p.

Anyways, Let's share with each other why we chose the teams we did.

- Cats vs Dogs: Hilariously I honestly would have chose Cat, but living with my wife (Who's a huge dog person) and two dogs, I felt I needed to represent the family by choosing team Dog.

- Roller Coasters vs Water Slides: I love to get my heart pumping and I love the adrenaline Roller coasters give over Water slides, plus I'm a very white boy and I hate putting on sunscreen for those water slides.

- Marshmallows vs Hot Dogs: Again, I was honestly going to pick Hot dogs this time because I like Hot Dogs more than Marshmallows. The only reason I chose Team Marshmallow is because it was themed for a camping setting, and I've possibly roasted hundreds of smores but I can't even remember roasting a hot dog while camping.

- Autobots vs Decepticons: If the theme was centered around Michael Bay's adaption of the franchise I would have chose Auto bots because despite the movies having their own problems, Bay turned Optimus Prime into one of the most badass CGI heroes ever created in Hollywood. Realizing it was centered on the 90's cartoon, I always thought the Decepticons were cooler.

- Art vs Science: I grew up doodling through out school in every grade. I'm naturally a cartoon artist and I love to draw. Music moves and inspires me in ways logic never can. I'm a very art loving person and this Splatfest took me no hesitation to decide. I have seen alot of people saying "Science created Splatoon." True, but remember Art inspired Splatoon.

Let's hear your story.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
So far, my record is 2-3. I lost the first three Splatfests but won the last two, so if I win the upcoming sixth I could easily say my luck is turning around. As for my choices:
  • Cats vs Dogs: I was always a cat person, since I found dogs to be too loud for my comfort.
  • Roller Coasters vs Water Slides: I never liked roller coasters. They always felt scary and/or nauseating. Water slides, however, were more fun and relaxing for me.
  • Marshmallows vs Hot Dogs: I actually couldn't decide for this one, so I had to do a best of five series of coin flips. Both treats are very good in my opinion.
  • Autobots vs Decepticons: In terms of the cartoon, I felt that Starscream and Soundwave stood out the most in my mind, despite not even watching the show--my exposure to Transformers was instead through the Beast Wars sub-franchise.
  • Art vs Science: I draw in my spare time and I graduated from college with a Bachelor of Arts. Meanwhile, college physics still gives me a headache.
...Writing this up, I realized that I seem to have an affinity for purple ink...

dapperlace

Pro Squid
Cats vs Dogs: Cats. I don't dislike either, I just like cats more.

Roller Coasters vs. Water Slides: Water slides. I'm not a huge fan of either in this case, but purple.

Marshmallows vs. Hot Dogs: Marshmallows. Another case where I like them both, but I liked the Marshmallow color more.

Autobots vs Decepticons: Decepticons. Team evil, baby!

Art vs Science: Art. I love them both, but I just love drawing more.

I go for what I really like, instead of trying to see what's popular or trying to calculate who might win. It hurt the first couple of Splatfests but it's gone pretty well from there.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
3 Wins and 2 Loses

-Cat v Dog (win): I'm a dog person, I own a dog and I don't own a cat.
-Roller Coasters v Water Slides (win): I've been been on Roller Coaster much more often and love the rush.
-Marshmallows v Hot Dogs (loss): I just went with Hot Dogs, I like Hot Dogs, kinda knew Marshmallows would kill in popularity.
-Autobots v Decepticons (win): Join the dark side, we have cookies!
-Art v Science (loss): Ironically I'm a art major but I also find much interest in science as well as a running gag between my friends.

Not horrible luck. 3rd one I sorta expected, 5th was close but now that I started to actually go for King rank I still get a fair number of Sea Snails.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
3-2 W/L

Won with Team Rock (Chose this because of unanimous research and because people don't want to admit they like pop)
Lost with Team Sleep (I could have chosen eating but this was the first time I decided to go with my heart... bad choice)
Won with Team Singing (Lost with popularity but smashed it in wins so we won, this was the most surprising result so far)
Lost with Team North Pole (North pole had more votes but lost in wins so wasn't very happy)
Just won with Team Messy (Similar position to the first splatfest, I couldn't imagine a "tidy team of gamers" winning anything lol)

Last edited:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Cats
Roller Coasters
Hot Dogs
Decepticons
Art

I only really remember that decepticons and art won.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Dogs: Generally like them more, have more personality.

Waterslides: I have a fear of heights, and roller coasters can be nauseating.

Marshmallows: I like hot dogs more grilled, but it was campfire roasted. As I like my hot dogs cooked to they are black and shriveled. Marshmallows are much quicker to cook and taste better on the fire.

Autobots: Wasn't really into transformers, but I usually chose the good guys, liked the shirts better, and thought it would be the least popular team. (I was wrong)

Science: Easy for me, I love science and have an intrest in becoming a scientist one day, while I have no artistic talent. First time I didn't pick the most popular side.

However, both times my team won, I was away on vacation and could not play. 0-3 at home...

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
I'm 2-1 as I got the game in Early August. Chose Marshmallows since I generally like them better than Hot Dogs, chose Autobots because all my friends did and I don't care for Transformers, and easily chose Art since Drawing is a hobby of mine.

Toaster

Senior Squid
I didn't have Splatoon when the first splatfest happened if I did I've would of chosen Cats because they're one of my favorite animals and have one, also dogs scare me sometimes. I choose waterslides in the next splatfest just because the ink color was purple. I chose marshmallows over hot dogs because hate how hotdogs taste. I never really watched transformers so I picked Decepticons because of the ink color. I chose Art because I just love to draw, whenever I get free time in school I just end up drawing a bunch of pictures.

Marmalade

Full Squid
NNID
Marmalade
Rock vs. Pop: Picked Rock because I love rock music.
Eat vs. Sleep: This was a hard choice to make because I love both so much. In the end, I picked sleep because I really can't function at all without a good long sleep. And cuddling into bed in a cold evening is pure happiness.
North vs. South: As this was such a weird subject, I looked at it from a polar bear vs penguin stance, and went with penguins, because they are cute. Also the south pole is actual land, so it also has that going for it.
Singing vs. Dancing: I love to dance, easy choice to make.
Messy vs. Tidy: My bedroom is more messy than it is tidy, haha. So I picked the honest option.

So yeah, I always pick my options based on what I truly prefer and don't care for any other statistics (like searching what the majority picks etc.). Like that it is way more fun and I enjoy fighting for my side much more.

ch0wchilla

Inkster Jr.
Initially wanted to see if I could predict the winner for this one (EU, Messy vs. Tidy) with some admittedly very back of a napkin statistics. But have to make too many assumptions for wins, meaning error margin is far too large. If only it were popularity alone..haha.

In the end I won't mind so long as Spyke doesn't fleece me!

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
Rock, Eating, South Pole, Singing and Messy. I stick with Callie's pick most of the time because she has good taste and I have yet to be on the losing team. I was actually neutral on the Rock/Pop Splatfest but decided to go with Rock because I liked Team Rock's ink color more.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Rock vs. Pop: Rock, because although I don't really follow current rock music (I prefer stuff without lyrics), I like a lot of older rock music, and don't listen to pop music at all (though really I prefer any number of other genres to both of them).

Eating vs. Sleeping: Eating; I've never been much of sleeper, and I love delicious food, so this one was easy.

North vs. South: Probably my favourite theme so far. I went South, obviously, because penguins.

Singing vs. Dancing: I've always enjoyed dancing, and never really enjoyed singing, so this one was easy.

Messy vs. Tidy: I was very conflicted about this one. If I lived alone then my bedroom would be tidy, but I don't, and it isn't. I am not the untidy one though, so I felt like an interloper on Team Messy.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
Team DogSlideDogAutoSci here. After the promising victory of Team Dog, I've since ridden with Marie and her losing streak all the way, with the only exception being when I followed my heart and went Team Autobot. That was, of course, the only other time she won...

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Teams....

Cat [I have a phobia of dogs]
Waterslide [I'm terrified of rollercoasters]
Marshmallow [Marshmallows are adorable]
Decepticon [I was forced to by my Decepticon friend]
Art [I'm an artist myself, how can I not?]

After some hiccups I've been on the winning side of history for a good streak.

FlyingInk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MyTurbo6
I could not play the first Splatfest, I was out of town. If I had I would have picked Dogs.
Made it to Roller Coaster King and we won.
Made it to Hot Dog King and we lost.
Made it to Deceptican King and we won.
Made it to Science King and we lost.

So basically 50/50 on the win and loss on teams

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
1) I chose Cats, since I personally find them more adorable than dogs. Hearing a cat meow is usually very adorable. :3 We lost, though, and only by popularity, and you guys know my hate for popularity affecting a battling competition (would the change in rules affect the outcome?). 0-1

2) I went Roller Coasters. I personally prefer more relaxed coasters, though, and I dislike getting water on me on a ride. We won, so that's 1-1!

3) I chose Marshmallows. Being a picky eater, marshmallows were one of the foods I like, while hotdogs were outside that group, although I like eating marshmallows out of the bag over roasting them (not like I usually try to go camping, anyways). We won (but solely by popularity), so I'm at 2-1.

4) I chose the Autobots. I really like the appearances of villanous-looking (and I emphasise looking) stuff, but I also love heroics, so I went on the side of justice. Alas, we lost (the battle, not the war, heheh)
so I'm even at 2-2.

5) Given my status as a proud art student (not to mention I draw on Miiverse regularly so check that out), I chose Art. And, well, we won! That makes it 3-2.

Also, I find myself coincidentally choosing Callie's side every time. :P I do prefer her over Marie, but I assure you this is just pure luck. :P

Mr. Gency

Full Squid
NNID
Mister-Gency
Cats vs dogs: Didn't have Splatoon yet, so I couldn't participate. If I could, I would've went with dogs because I had five of them so far. Also, cats are assholes.

Roller coasters vs water slides: I went to Six Flags once and it was awful. Naturally, this is why I picked water slides.

Marshmallows vs hotdogs: I like s'mores.

Autobots vs Decepticons: Another one I missed out on because of reasons. I haven't been interested in Transformers since Armada. I probably would've gone with Autobots so I could make "hilarious and original" Shia jokes.

Art vs science: I'm an idiot and can't understand science. I like pretty drawings, too.

shy

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2855-0246-7213
Cats/dogs I love both but I'm more of a cat person
Roller coasters/Water slides: I chose water slides because it's a fun way to cool off
Marshmallows/hotdogs: I like both but I prefer sweets over any food
Autobots/decepticons: Autobots. I don't know much about transformers
Art/science: I was going to choose art but my cousin chose for me when I let him use
my wii u

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom