• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfests?

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
Nintendo hasn't said anything yet, but I'm assuming the splatfests will be returning to Splatoon 2, and hopefully for longer than it lasted on the Wii U. But with the Nintendo Switch not being region locked, will all splatfests be worldwide? Or will the Switch use what country the player selected they're from on the system to determine which regional Splatfest they'll battle in? I've been told that the eShop will have different games available depending on which part of the world you say you're from on your Switch. If that's the case, then why not do it for splatfests? But with paid online services, I'm hoping the server won't be a mess during worldwide Splatfests like it was for the Wii U.

And while I plan on participating in every splatfest, do you think this time around players will be given a choice on whether they want to participate in one or not?

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
I PRAY :) that they let you play in splatfests, if you still have a wiiU, I cannot afford a switch! (but seriously, $330 is too much! I just started getting used to the wiiU!)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I see no huge difference between both games. They probably run even on the same engine.
Different weapons and maps mate. For instance the Splat Roller has a completely different kit in Splatoon 2 with a new mechanic, and of course Splatoon 2's maps simply aren't in the original.

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
I PRAY :) that they let you play in splatfests, if you still have a wiiU, I cannot afford a switch! (but seriously, $330 is too much! I just started getting used to the wiiU!)
Nintendo doesn't care for the Wii U anymore. They never did. They see it as a failure, and so do most people. I'm still trying to justify my $300 purchase. So I'm more than certain that won't be the case. They wanted to make it abundantly clear, LAST EVER SPLATFEST, with the Callie/Marie grand finale. Why? So they could release another amiibo. That's it!

Whether or not it comes back to Spla2n though, would be a good marketing decision. I never got to experience Splatfest because it ended too soon and I just got Splatoon recently in an attempt to "justify my $300 purchase". But enough people seemed to of enjoyed it and are hyped for the possible return of it, so if Nintendo did actually listen to the general consensus here and promoted the return of Splatfests in Spla2n, then I'm more than certain they will generate a very large number in sales. I mean, they will regardless, the first game did, but that would just be additional icing on the proverbial cake if they added that in, and hopefully they know it. Fan service is very important.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Nintendo doesn't care for the Wii U anymore. They never did. They see it as a failure, and so do most people. I'm still trying to justify my $300 purchase. So I'm more than certain that won't be the case. They wanted to make it abundantly clear, LAST EVER SPLATFEST, with the Callie/Marie grand finale. Why? So they could release another amiibo. That's it!

Whether or not it comes back to Spla2n though, would be a good marketing decision. I never got to experience Splatfest because it ended too soon and I just got Splatoon recently in an attempt to "justify my $300 purchase". But enough people seemed to of enjoyed it and are hyped for the possible return of it, so if Nintendo did actually listen to the general consensus here and promoted the return of Splatfests in Spla2n, then I'm more than certain they will generate a very large number in sales. I mean, they will regardless, the first game did, but that would just be additional icing on the proverbial cake if they added that in, and hopefully they know it. Fan service is very important.
I'm pretty sure it was stated that Splatoon 2 will have special events. They didn't specifically say Splatfests, but they will probably be along those lines.

peat-warrior

Banned (6 points)
Different weapons and maps mate. For instance the Splat Roller has a completely different kit in Splatoon 2 with a new mechanic, and of course Splatoon 2's maps simply aren't in the original.
What I meant was, that Splatoon 2 doesn't look like a new game. It looks rather like an slightly updated version of Splatoon 1, than a independent sequel for a next generation console.

Kodidro

Full Squid
Content Team
I'll be pretty surprised if Splatfests don't come back for Spla2n.

After all, we gotta get those Super Sea Snails somehow

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
What I meant was, that Splatoon 2 doesn't look like a new game. It looks rather like an slightly updated version of Splatoon 1, than a independent sequel for a next generation console.
Well while Switch is technically next-gen, it's not that much more powerful than Wii U, so it's games wont look significantly different.

peat-warrior

Banned (6 points)
Well while Switch is technically next-gen, it's not that much more powerful than Wii U, so it's games wont look significantly different.
But a sequel for a next gen console should always be something new, no matter if we talk about graphics or gameplay. In the past, I was a huge fan of the Tony Hawk games. And each game which was released for a new console, was a drastically new experience. The graphics from the Ps1 to Ps2 was a giant jump and
the developers have perfected the gameplay, which made the first game obsolete. They added such revolutionary tricks, like reverts and manuals which improved the gameplay experience so much.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
But a sequel for a next gen console should always be something new, no matter if we talk about graphics or gameplay. In the past, I was a huge fan of the Tony Hawk games. And each game which was released for a new console, was a drastically new experience. The graphics from the Ps1 to Ps2 was a giant jump and
the developers have perfected the gameplay, which made the first game obsolete. They added such revolutionary tricks, like reverts and manuals which improved the gameplay experience so much.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Sequels don't always have to have drastic changes. They can keep their same formula, but change enough to have each feel unique. I am kinda glad that Splatoon 2 doesn't really change a whole lot though. It pretty much negates the excuse that Nintendo has been saying that they need to do something new for each sequel and whatnot, which was what was holding back the F-Zero franchise all these years. So hopefully we get a new F-Zero for the Switch? (I can only hope at this rate.) Anyways, despite the fact that Splatoon 1 and 2 are so alike, I can guarantee the "feel" of both games will still be different, but familiar.

peat-warrior

Banned (6 points)
Sequels don't always have to have drastic changes. They can keep their same formula, but change enough to have each feel unique. I am kinda glad that Splatoon 2 doesn't really change a whole lot though. It pretty much negates the excuse that Nintendo has been saying that they need to do something new for each sequel and whatnot, which was what was holding back the F-Zero franchise all these years. So hopefully we get a new F-Zero for the Switch? (I can only hope at this rate.) Anyways, despite the fact that Splatoon 1 and 2 are so alike, I can guarantee the "feel" of both games will still be different, but familiar.
I really would like to play Splatoon 2, but I don't want to buy a new console. :D
What I have actually meant in my previous post is, that from a technical perspective, it probably wouldn't be a problem to run Splatoon 2 on the Wii U too.
This is the only thing, that is annoying me. Both games seem to be so similar, that it doesn't justify it, that Splatoon 2 wiil be only available for the Switch.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I really would like to play Splatoon 2, but I don't want to buy a new console. :D
What I have actually meant in my previous post is, that from a technical perspective, it probably wouldn't be a problem to run Splatoon 2 on the Wii U too.
This is the only thing, that is annoying me. Both games seem to be so similar, that it doesn't justify it, that Splatoon 2 wiil be only available for the Switch.
One major difference between them is that Splatoon 2 will use the new online infrastructure that the Wii U doesn't have. Using the app for voice chat, lobbies, and other stuff.

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
Splatoon and Splatoon 2 are two separate games. There is no reason why they would do that.
It COULD be a reason why they would do something like that, of course, since you'd have to pay to be on the switch, it would make sense to still pay SOME type of attention to the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom