• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatling Parameter Data and Discussion

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
With the recent release of the Ballpoint and Nautilus 47, I feel like it may be warranted to start another discussion on the Splatling class and figure out where they fit in the game. I'll try and make use of parameter data that'd been extracted from the game to justify any conclusions I draw here. The data is taken from here, provided by Mr. Lean on Twitter. If I've misinterpreted any of the variables, please let me know.

One thing I want to point out is that parameters occasionally form a window between two values, and this describes a property that changes steadily depending on how much charge you currently hold. Values such as these will change between 0 charge and 1 ring of charge, but will not change further between 1 ring and 2 rings. Prime examples of this include Run Speed and Jump Height (see the MOBILITY section).

Another thing, there are almost 100 parameters for Splatlings, and some simply don't exist on some variants. I had to go through and realign them all in Excel and try to sift through them from there. The Ballpoint is one hell of a monstrosity in that regard - a lot of values are simply 1 and are replaced by another value later. I honestly can't figure out what the heck is going on, and I'll have to take another look at a later date.

Mini: 4 -> 8
Heavy: 3.5 -> 7
Hydra: 3 -> 6
Ballpoint: 6 -> 12
Nautillus: 3.6 -> 3.6

This appears to describe the horizontal RNG associated with bullets. It's interesting to note that the Nautilus and Heavy are not equal, even though they are close. Also interesting is the fact that a Splatling's reticle doubles in width (supposedly) when jumping, but the Nautilus stays constant like a Charger/Nozzlenose/Splash. Once again, I don't know how the Ballpoint reads parameter data, so I can't find the second stage accuracy right now.

Mini: 0.15
Heavy: 0.225
Hydra: 0.35
Ballpoint: 0.25
Nautillus: 0.15

The Mini and Nautilus are the most ink efficient, providing 6 and 2/3 full charges in one tank. The Heavy yields 4 and 4/9 full charges per tank. The Hydra gets 2 and 6/7. And lastly the Ballpoint gets a flat 4.

Mini: 72
Heavy: 144
Hydra: 240
Ballpoint: 200
Nautillus: 104

"SecondPeriodMaxChargeShootingFrame" describes the duration, in frames, of the Splatling's firing mode after charging up two rings. This is once again a gradient value, and a window is defined between 0 (at no charge) and this parameter value (at two rings).

Mini: 30
Heavy: 75
Hydra: 150
Ballpoint: 100
Nautillus: 76

"SecondPeriodMaxChargeFrame" defines the number of frames required to achieve the end of the second charge ring. I don't know if this is defined from the end of the first ring or from no charge.

(During the charging process -> Full charge holding mobility)

Mini: 0.8 -> 0.7
Heavy: 0.66 -> 0.60
Hydra: 0.6 -> 0.4
Ballpoint: 0.96 -> 0.96
Nautillus: 0.7 -> 0.4

These parameters are a little harder to interpret, but essentially MoveSpeed and MoveSpeed_Charge appear to define the window of mobility between the time when you start charging, and time the you achieve a full charge, and everything is compared to your regular run speed (at a value of 1.0). The Ballpoint is the most mobile, maintaining 96% of your standard mobility and additionally experiencing NO reduction in mobility through the charging process. The Nautillus is just as mobile as a Hydra when fully charged, suggesting that you should avoid reaching a full charge when in firefights.

The following is for the jump parameter:

Mini: 0.9
Heavy: 0.8
Hydra: 0.6
Ballpoint: 1
Nautillus: 0.8

My assumption is that the jump value is 1 unless you're charging, and when combined with this parameter, we define a window of jump values that steadily decreases as your weapon's charge increases. The Ballpoint is the only Splatling that suffers no jump penalty while charging, the Heavy and Nautilus are identical, and the Hydra suffers the largest penalty. Interestingly enough, there is no penalty for jumping while firing, only while charging; the parameter "JumpGnd_Shooting" defines this and will give the weapon a jump penalty while shooting unless its value is -1 (which it IS for all Splatlings).

The parameter "FirstShootingTermBulletNum" appears to describe how many bullets are fired before transitioning between charges, which is 0 for all Splatlings except the Ballpoint, which has a value of 10. This equates to roughly 1/4 of a ring.

The parameter "ForceDropNearestSplashAddNum" forces a splash even if you've fired the number of bullets required; this is 0 for all Splatlings except the Nautilus. The meaning of this is not entirely clear, but with a value of 0 the property is disabled. My best guess is that it forces a larger splotch at your feet every time you've fired a certain number of bullets, meaning the Nautilus will be able to automatically paint at your feet every 4 bullets and thus will have less reliance on Ink Resistance abilities.

The parameter "InkRecoverStop" appears to describe how many frames are required before you'll begin recovering ink again after firing. This is 40 for all Splatlings except the Mini, which is 30. This means that the Mini will start recovering ink faster than any other Splatling.

The Ballpoint and Nautilus both make use of the "Rechargable" parameter, indicating that they are able to begin recharging their shots before their current volley has ended.

The Nautilus is able to store partial charges while swimming around, and the duration of this charge hold is not dependent on the amount stored; my best guess is that the parameter "SquidChangeReduceWaitFullFrame" defines this, as it's 0 for all Splatlings except the Nautilus, which has a value of 200. This suggests 200 frames, or 3 and 1/3 seconds before losing stored charge.

So that's the majority of my findings so far. I still couldn't pinpoint the range data, so I can't compare the weapons precisely yet.

Last edited:

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
Thanks so much for this info! It's a real boon for a (semi) Splatoon main like me (^_^)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom