• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Internet Sucks!

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
9/10 Splatoon 2's internet goes dumb and I get booted out of the game. My internet is fine as well, I try it with other games that use the internet and they work fine! I've been banned multiple times and it's been really taking the enjoyment out of the game. Can Nintendo please fix this?! Also, has anyone else had this problem?

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
I am going to assume that you are playing over a wi-fi connection because I've read quite a bit of posts that had that same problem. Nine times out of ten it's usually not a Nintendo issue nor an internet issue. It just might be your wi-fi signal. So a couple suggestions, if you don't mind:

1. Turn off any non-essential devices you have that runs on your wi-fi while playing, since the signal can only run effectively on so many devices.

2. Do what a lot of Splatoon players are doing and highly consider purchasing a LAN Adapter to connect with your modem. It costs $30, but just about any electronics/gaming retailer sells it and provides a much needed improvement to the online play.

I'm sure that other posters have other suggestions.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ive dropped maybe 3 times since day one during a match . I'm in the mid 20s level so got some hours logged.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
2. Do what a lot of Splatoon players are doing and highly consider purchasing a LAN Adapter to connect with your modem. It costs $30, but just about any electronics/gaming retailer sells it and provides a much needed improvement to the online play.
I've been thinking of doing this myself since my Switch has been a little iffy regarding online play, especially for Splatoon 2. However, would the LAN adapter need to connect my system to my router with a wire? With my current set up I would not be able to connect the router to my switch since it's in another room. Unless I got a comically long cord to go under doors to link the two. ;)

2shotsofvodka

Give me all your Vodka
I've been thinking of doing this myself since my Switch has been a little iffy regarding online play, especially for Splatoon 2. However, would the LAN adapter need to connect my system to my router with a wire? With my current set up I would not be able to connect the router to my switch since it's in another room. Unless I got a comically long cord to go under doors to link the two. ;)
I have a similar complication except i have no access to the router -- it is actually paid for by the land lord at our place so i dont even know what or where the router is, as im in a community ish living place

Padre

Pro Squid
I need a place to plug LAN adapter... My router just has USB.

Its still strange that this is the only unplayable game with my wifi.

Also sucks that you need to change back to some obsolete device to get this game working. How many people own excavators to dig some landlines just to play one game??

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
@Padre Actually a lot of FPS players use LAN lines all the time when they play. Streamers especially so.

Otherwise,@Hero of Lime, to answer your question, yes you need to connect directly to your modem, but since you don't have direct access to a modem/router, All I could think to do until then would be to find some way to clear up your wi-fi. Turn off any tablets, computers or even other consoles you might not be using at the moment.

Last edited:

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
I am using the LAN-Adapter we got for online play on Wii. And that like 10years old thing still works fine. Wi-fi isn't bad but the switch has a bunch of problems with it... It works when I am not far away from my router but my room is far away from the router (My laptop and WiiU still has no problems with wi-fi)...

However: I just disconnected ones during an SalmonRun but that was a problem of my Internet.

Mikaya

Certified Nerd
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-8448-2209
It only happens every now and again for me. I even change the wifi channel of my router and reset the device, just in case my internet is the issue. I'm hoping when the paid servers are in effect it will eliminate these disconnection issues even if the wifi remains stable. Fingers crossed! xD

shudder

Senior Squid
I swear the lag has gotten worse after the patch yesterday. Really not looking good for the game with paid online on the horizon. I'm not sure how much outcry there is over the errors and lag stuff, but it's pretty bad for me and I have a good connection, inaccurate hit registration and dying in 1 to 2 shots to 3 to 4 weapons are the norm. Same issues as the first game for the most part, this time the portable aspect might be handicapping the netcode although it feels pretty much the same as the first game for the most part. I have doubts whether Nintendo changed it much other than to accommodate for the portable use.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
It costs $30, but just about any electronics/gaming retailer sells it and provides a much needed improvement to the online play.
You don't need to spend $30 for the official Hori one. I've used both this 100 Mb one ($13) and this Gigabit one ($15).

I ran wired ethernet through my walls. Not just for this! But this was one big reason.

GamemasterTom

Full Squid
NNID
GM-Tom
As many others said, a LAN adapter is almost necessary. So far i had absolutely no lag with Splatoon 2, runs perfect, and i'm using a simple LAN adapter (maybe $10-$15, i really don't know how much it is in dollars, since i'm from Chile), the only way i can create lag in the game is by uploading a video to youtube

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
The Switch internet and connection overall is fairly poor, but I've never had any big issues with Splatoon's. Most of the time.

These other games that the internet works fine on, are they Switch games or other? Games that require a lower ping to be played correctly or more simple things?

dishwasher

Full Squid
So for me, my experience seems to be a lot different than others. Splatoon 2 has been running on wifi since day one, about 40ft away from the router with 2-3/5 bars on wifi and I rarely get issues. I did buy my switch in May, so perhaps I got one after they identified the wifi issue.

I actually found Mario Kart way worse to play online, with glitches and **** happening frequently.

SqidVishus

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0563-5067-5130
I would drop now and then, even on my normally rock solid wi-fi. My switch is only 6 inches from my router. I've had a USB LAN adapter for months, but just hooked it up now. I'll report back in a while. SplatFest should be the real test. I dropped more then than anytime, so that lead me to believe it was a Nintendo issue and not my connection.

Mr_Flapjack

Inkling
I swear the lag has gotten worse after the patch yesterday. Really not looking good for the game with paid online on the horizon. I'm not sure how much outcry there is over the errors and lag stuff, but it's pretty bad for me and I have a good connection, inaccurate hit registration and dying in 1 to 2 shots to 3 to 4 weapons are the norm. Same issues as the first game for the most part, this time the portable aspect might be handicapping the netcode although it feels pretty much the same as the first game for the most part. I have doubts whether Nintendo changed it much other than to accommodate for the portable use.

Yes! I agree. Lag is noticeable to a frustrating degree now. It was acceptable before. I'm not sure what they did with the patch but it makes the game less fun, especially during splatfests.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Yes! I agree. Lag is noticeable to a frustrating degree now. It was acceptable before. I'm not sure what they did with the patch but it makes the game less fun, especially during splatfests.
Splatfests? Yeah I called "Shifty Station" "Laggy Station" for enough reason. I had enough people not shooting ink there and after a while their just popped out of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom