• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 might be based on Chiba Prefecture

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
One of the first things I was immediately curious to discover upon watching the new trailer is where the location might have been shifted to in the sequel. The hub is different--its likely to still be called Inkopolis, maybe, but its not the same place with the Tokyo Tower influence we all could instantly recognize. This one is a little less obvious. The only clues based on the "title screen" are an ambiguous billboard tower and a suspended monorail, the latter of which I felt was key to unraveling the real-world location of Splatoon 2.

What could it be???? My first thought was somewhere else in Tokyo, possibly a place with many big neon billboards like Shinjuku's Kabukicho or Shibuya. However, I realized the biggest suspended monorail tracks in Japan are in Chiba, the prefecture neighboring Tokyo to the east. Tokyo's neighboring prefecture would surely be a good hub for Splatoon 2, I thought, as the squids are said to travel to the various stages by train, according to the official artbook, and some stages are quite farflung to begin with. Chiba is quite easily accessible by train from Tokyo. But the suspended monorail is surely too loose of a clue to be sure.

But then...???

Near Chiba Station, the central hub station of the prefecture, exists a ferris wheel, visible in this screenshot from the trailer, along with the suspended monorail in view, as in the second picture of the Chiba Urban Monorail. This is quite a killer clue.

It should be noted that ferris wheels are fixtures in many main cities across Japan, but the combination of these two structures in such similar proximity to each other is startling!!!! I think Chiba is believable as well since Moray makes a return in this game, and likely others, and with Chiba being so close to Tokyo it would make more sense for the squids to access it, as opposed to some other city in Japan or maybe elsewhere in the world.

I know there's not a heck of a lot to go off of yet, but I was very happy to uncover these clues. I eagerly await contributions from my fellow squids based on your analyses of the trailer and/or knowledge of urban landmarks! What do you think????

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom