• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Review Thread!

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Splatoon 2 reviews are in!

Let's see what the critics have to say about the much anticipated sequel to Splatoon.

Review Aggregator
---------------------------------
Metascore: 84
OpenCritic: 83

Critic Reviews
---------------------------------
Nintendo Life: 10/10

Switch Player: 4.6/5
Cheat Code Central: 4.6/5

The Games Machine: 9/10
Metro GameCentral: 9/10
GamesBeat: 9/10

Hardcore Gamer: 9/10
IGN Italia: 9/10
Multiplayer.it: 9/10
GameXplain: LOVED
We Got This Covered: 4.5/5
Attack of the Fanboy: 4.5/5
Nintendo World Report: 8.5/10
Destructoid: 8.5/10
CGMagazine: 8.5/10
Game Informer: 8.25/10
Eurogamer Italy: 8/10
VideoGamer: 8/10
HappyConsoleGamer: 8/10
USgamer: 4/5
GamesRadar+: 4/5
Polygon: 8/10
God is a Geek: 8/10
The Digital Fix: 7/10
Twinfinite: 3.5/5

Reviews in Progress / No Scores
-------------------------------------------
Splatoon 2's basic gameplay has clearly benefited from a full two years of patching and examination of the original title's uneven launch. This is all we've wanted from Nintendo for years: to come up with wild new ideas, then actually adjust and respond to player demands for a better experience.
An improvement in nearly every way on one of Nintendo's finest games in years, Splatoon 2 is only let down by a lack of big new ideas. [Recommended]
It feels as if the paint had just begun to dry on Splatoon after its release on the Wii U in 2015 when Nintendo applied a fresh coat and relaunched it with Splatoon 2 on the Switch. That may be why this sequel feels less like a whole new game than a new version of the first one that rolls up the best post-launch updates to the colorful and adorably non-violent team-based shooter and adds some new toys. Of course, considering the first game is a lot of fun, that’s not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you missed it for lack of a Wii U. And despite some questionable choices that can leave you trapped in matchmaking purgatory, the addition of a stand-out and clever take on a co-op horde mode provides some seriously addicting fun that has me coming back for more. [Tentative Score = 8.3/10]
The single-player campaign feels more robust, with inventive, puzzle-like levels and challenging boss battles. There are also some useful new weapons, including my personal favorite, a pair of paint pistols you can dual-wield. There’s new clothing and gear to buy, and overall the game looks much more vibrant and detailed. I found myself stopping in levels just to ogle the scenery.

*Reviews will be updated accordingly.

Last edited:

Ed Leech

Inkster Jr.
Good scores.

I need to read some of these as I still haven't found concrete answers on ways to play.

Can we play in handheld mode? With the switch on the table in front of you?

I believe we can't 2 player multi screen off one tv? So presumably to play 2 player both people need a switch?

Patrick1088

Inkster Jr.
NNID
patrick1088
Good scores.

I need to read some of these as I still haven't found concrete answers on ways to play.

Can we play in handheld mode? With the switch on the table in front of you?

I believe we can't 2 player multi screen off one tv? So presumably to play 2 player both people need a switch?
You can play tabletop and handheld (confirmed by demo).

I'm pretty sure that they can do split screen multi player. Even Splat1 could do it for battle dojo and one of the biggest pushing points is ability to play 2 people on the go (although the joy cons would be a pain).

Last part is all speculation though I hope it works that way...

Ed Leech

Inkster Jr.
Reading Eurogamers review unfortunately confirms you can not do split screen multi player.

Very disappointing news as means I can only play with my close friends if they buy a console and even then it can't be in the same room unless I set another tv up any time one comes over (and I don't have enough TVs to do 4 player lol).

Not sure what the reasoning behind this was but sad news.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Jeez, what's Twinfinite's problem? Did they get matched with Srb2DUDE or other skilled players who got early copies, got stomped in turf war, and proceeded to ramble on about how Splatoon 2 is the Dark Souls of shooters?

EDIT: Oh my god, lol. im so embarrassed now. i thought it was 3.5/10, not 3.5/5. That's actually a damn fine score. The magic of misreading things. :oops:

Last edited:

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Very disappointing news as means I can only play with my close friends if they buy a console and even then it can't be in the same room unless I set another tv up any time one comes over (and I don't have enough TVs to do 4 player lol).
You can all play on your Switch screens? Not the most ideal but you don't -need- TVs.

But yeah, I'm very sad that there's no split screen. I was really hoping to play Salmon Run with my partner on the couch all day every day. There's no way we can afford 2 Switchs when I can barely scrape together enough money for one.

IceIceSquiddy

Inkling
These are good scores, but I'm honestly salty about them as one of the recurring criticisms I've seen in the reviews I've read are that there's not enough new content. Yet these publications consistently give 9s and 10s to every new Call of Duty game, year after year.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
These are good scores, but I'm honestly salty about them as one of the recurring criticisms I've seen in the reviews I've read are that there's not enough new content. Yet these publications consistently give 9s and 10s to every new Call of Duty game, year after year.
Dont you know, every sequel is a sequel, except for Nintendo. Because screw it.

I guess a positive way to think about it is that they hold Nintendo to a higher standard, as they rightfully should. :p

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's a bit sad a 7/10 warrants an "okay" rather than good like the others, but overall none of these reviews really surprise me.

Jeez, what's Twinfinite's problem? Did they get matched with Srb2DUDE or other skilled players who got early copies, got stomped in turf war, and proceeded to ramble on about how Splatoon 2 is the Dark Souls of shooters?

EDIT: Oh my god, lol. im so embarrassed now. i thought it was 3.5/10, not 3.5/5. That's actually a damn fine score. The magic of misreading things. :oops:
I don't think it's fair to just jump on someone because of a score (regardless of that it turned out to be incorrect or not).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom