SPLATOON 3 HOT TAKES

smarfdurden

Inkling
This is going to come more from a place of ignorance rather than a hill I'm willing to die on but....

I don't get why sprinkler exists. What is it's purpose? It seems so useless. Just charging your special poorly before someone shoots it?

jimjonjoe

Inkling
This is going to come more from a place of ignorance rather than a hill I'm willing to die on but....

I don't get why sprinkler exists. What is it's purpose? It seems so useless. Just charging your special poorly before someone shoots it?
Sprinkler is good for dropping into weird corners of the map or spawn so you can pick up a free 20-30p of special charge for basically free. On weapons like vanilla s-blast, it's the weapon's best source of passive paint and makes it way less dependent on its teammates for moving around.

It's also fairly decent to use as a light meat shield when thrown in front of you - without object shredder, sprinkler armor can almost double the time to kill for a lot of weapons (outside of things like splatanas or bows which have ridiculously high object dmg multipliers).

By no means is it a fantastic sub, and most weapons with it would prefer a fizzy bomb or something that can paint and do damage, but it's far from worthless.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728

ideally a strong sprinkler paints over an area the opponent wants to be in, even as they try to paint back over it. and it forces them to break it. can stall pushes if you can get decent spots. the problem is that decay makes this use case a lot more niche as youd need to constantly replace the sprinkler, and without specific safe sprinkler positions it just gets shredded instantly (should have more hp imo).

as a vdynamo main im kinda obligated to say that it's also nice for movement, but only if your weapon is really slow. when it touches a surface it kinda acts like a mini burst bomb in terms of paint. expensive for this purpose, but it's a thing that exists. why i enjoy vdynamo so much.

antyytna

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2627-3241-7131
splatoon 3 has introduced the coolest gear overall, a lot of s1 and s2 clothes felt pretty basic imo

stuff like the scarf shirt is so awesome :)

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
BLOBBLBER TAKES 0 SKILL TO USE!!!
if you happen to be next to the wall 99% of the time it will kill you. The amount of times I’ve died from someone aimlessly peeking over a ledge, not knowing anyone there is immeasurable.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
BLOBBLBER TAKES 0 SKILL TO USE!!!
if you happen to be next to the wall 99% of the time it will kill you. The amount of times I’ve died from someone aimlessly peeking over a ledge, not knowing anyone there is immeasurable.
that's kinda the point of blob. it's a flowchart weapon, the point is to find a few very strong spots on each map where your blobs are hard to avoid or need to be pushed through, some sort of choke, and stand in that one spot spamming shots into it. it can't take fights normally all that well so it kinda needs to aimlessly fire into relevant areas and hope people run into the slow bubbles. what separates a good blob is knowing when to rotate, and their ability to improvise when this gameplan falls apart, which can be genuinely difficult. it isn't zero skill, just, yeah the skill floor is very low, as is its nature.

Mjmannella

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-6515-6020-5729
My hot take is that Turf War is the best mode in the game. Nothing feels quite as cathartic as rummaging around the whole stage an raising hell. Having to babysit an objective area/pathway just isn't fun for me.

MintyMisc

Mint Chocto
Premium
Pronouns
She/They
Devs should hold votes on if they should update existing, unpopular kits (see: reef deco)

1O7JR

Inkster Jr.
If every weapon was replaced with Splattershot Junior it would make the game both fun and worthy of the worldwide recognition the west seems to refuse to give it. Now, I'm not saying that it would all just be Splattershot Juniors, but that it would be Juniors of differing functions. I know how much Stamper fans refuse to drop their precious hunk of clunk, so when the Splattershot-Junioring happens, they'll be able to get a superior weapon- a Splattershot Junior! Undercover fans- Splattershot Junior'd! Weapons with a Reefslider? Splattershot Junior. Those problems Nogami just can't seem to fix will just melt away into the universally adored shape of the Splattershot Junior.

MintyMisc

Mint Chocto
Premium
Pronouns
She/They
hard disagree. as bad as some kits are, there are people that enjoy them, and removing an option someone likes from the game is not acceptable under any circumstances imo.
Fair, everyone has their favorite, I’m just a bit saddened by some of the kits in this game

Sun3

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Sun3
Switch Friend Code
SW-5980-0921-5120
Catalogues re-running gear from previous seasons is fine and good

roboscout

Inkling
I think that the devs need to be willing to change kits post launch. Balance is a very difficult task, and I don't think it's unreasonable that the devs make mistakes during the initial reveal of kits. That's why we have balance patches. Because balance is often a task best performed through trial and error. The fact that the devs are locked into mistakes they made at the beginning of the game makes it more difficult to balance the game and can cause aspects that weren't the primary abusers to get hit by collateral damage.

Sloshing machine was a balanced weapon in previous games, but became broken on launch S3 because it got a kit of fizzy/booyah bomb. In order to finally stop the weapon from being the uncontested best aoe weapon, it needed a big hit to it's firerate that will affect any other kits machine has/will have in this game. It would have been much cleaner if they could have just addressed the source of the problem. Beyond that, kits being static means that any special that turns out bad is going to kill a bunch of kits over the course of the game through no fault of the main.

I've played games that would swap around secondary abilities between the characters depending on balance. It worked out fine, and the game unquestionably has a better distribution of these abilities now than it did at launch on the base roster. It's overall better for the game if neo sploosh gets something actually useful even if little timmy likes it.

I don't think custom kits is the solution to kit issues like a lot of people think. It would break too many aspects of the game and I honestly feel that variety would go down, not up. But I do think the devs stubbornly refusing to ever change their mind on kits is a problem.

Last edited:

MintyMisc

Mint Chocto
Premium
Pronouns
She/They
I think that the devs need to be willing to change kits post launch. Balance is a very difficult task, and I don't think it's unreasonable that the devs make mistakes during the initial reveal of kits. That's why we have balance patches. Because balance is often a task best performed through trial and error. The fact that the devs are locked into mistakes they made at the beginning of the game makes it more difficult to balance the game and can cause aspects that weren't the primary abusers to get hit by collateral damage.

Sloshing machine was a balanced weapon in previous games, but became broken on launch S3 because it got a kit of fizzy/booyah bomb. In order to finally stop the weapon from being the uncontested best aoe weapon, it needed a big hit to it's firerate that will affect any other kits machine has/will have in this game. It would have been much cleaner if they could have just addressed the source of the problem. Beyond that, kits being static means that any special that turns out bad is going to kill a bunch of kits over the course of the game through no fault of the mean.

I've played games that would swap around secondary abilities between the characters depending on balance. It worked out fine, and the game unquestionably has a better distribution of these abilities now than it did at launch on the base roster. It's overall better for the game if neo sploosh gets something actually useful even if little timmy likes it.

I don't think custom kits is the solution to kit issues like a lot of people think. It would break too many aspects of the game and I honestly feel that variety would go down, not up. But I do think the devs stubbornly refusing to ever change their mind on kits is a problem.
While I agree with the sentiment, I dislike characterizing the devs as stubborn. We don’t know what the development of splatoon 3 is like, so we can’t know the attitudes the devs have on some of these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom