• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 3 post launch specials, are they really that bad?

WIP Riley

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-8150-4404-2151
I'm not gonna lie, seeing people saying the new special have been unhealthy has been bogging up my mind recently, like yeah sure screen sucks and kraken cheese shouldn't exist but specials like fist and chump are really cool a d honestly good for the game :/

Attachments

Deepsink

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5185-1960-7222
Kraken cheese is unhealthy, its just not that amazing of a special without it.
Chumps are well designed! But they are undertuned.
Splatcolor is a disaster of being horrible for those with disabilities and horrible meta wise.
Triple splashdown is just reefslider with a higher kill potential, it didnt need to exist, reefslider just needed buffs

WIP Riley

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-8150-4404-2151
Kraken cheese is unhealthy, its just not that amazing of a special without it.
Chumps are well designed! But they are undertuned.
Splatcolor is a disaster of being horrible for those with disabilities and horrible meta wise.
Triple splashdown is just reefslider with a higher kill potential, it didnt need to exist, reefslider just needed buffs
Honestly without cheese kraken would be healthy, I agree screen is a disaster (seriously Nintendo wtf) but triple splash is more than a reef buff, I'd argue reef was poorly designed and it's only good use ended up being cheese

At least with kraken you can make a simple change, but in a game with missles and reefslider and zooka, kraken and fist aren't that bad

Lynnie

Inkling
Kraken cheese is just unhealthy for one of the best modes in the game
Chumps are just worse than missiles in every way, and you would be better off running a weapon with an actual special over chumps
splashdown is like reefslider with all the zones cheese taken away because you can cancel the user before it finishes
Screen.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
Super Chumps are in a weird spot where it does basically nothing. It's a "displacement" special, but the opponent can affect the displaced area, so you need to be there with your team when the chumps land to do anything with them. But, that's the exact same principle for stuff like Booyah Bomb, Tristrike, stuff that gives solid displacement and is actually threatening. Chump also has an issue where if you follow it up too quickly, you're doing the right thing, but you've pushed the enemy away before the chumps exploded or could do anything threatening, so they get no value. If you're too slow to follow them, they get broken quickly and get no value. Overall it's something of a nothing special, everything it does can be done better with other specials and it's not a salvageable concept. The game already had too many displacement specials so it didn't need to exist to begin with.

Kraken is fine and really cool, literally just nerf clams cheese across the board and the issue is gone. It does have problems with viability, because losing the range on stuff like 96 gal and heavy deco when you pop it kinda sucks, and the endlag means your last few seconds need to be about getting to safety, so it's a special you need to pop at very specific times to make sure you aren't giving up a lot of control by using it, but that tradeoff is interesting imo. It's basically a temporary invincible tetra dualies mode.

Splashdown is just, not good in concept, same way it wasn't in splatoon 2. It can get you killed before it does anything and its aoe, like chumps, can be affected by the opponent. Honestly I think it's worse than Reefslider, and less interesting. Reefslider at least guarantees a dangerous explosion with a large chip radius and has the ability to travel forward. Even if you don't think that, splashdown didn't need to be brought back when reefslider is basically a splashdown rework, leads to overlap.

Screen is really really weak, basically a big 30 damage hitbox, and the only thing it can possibly do to make you respect it is mess with your game's colors and audio, which for some people does nothing, and for some people is jarring and triggering enough to make them unable to play the game.

WIP Riley

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-8150-4404-2151
Super Chumps are in a weird spot where it does basically nothing. It's a "displacement" special, but the opponent can affect the displaced area, so you need to be there with your team when the chumps land to do anything with them. But, that's the exact same principle for stuff like Booyah Bomb, Tristrike, stuff that gives solid displacement and is actually threatening. Chump also has an issue where if you follow it up too quickly, you're doing the right thing, but you've pushed the enemy away before the chumps exploded or could do anything threatening, so they get no value. If you're too slow to follow them, they get broken quickly and get no value. Overall it's something of a nothing special, everything it does can be done better with other specials and it's not a salvageable concept. The game already had too many displacement specials so it didn't need to exist to begin with.

Kraken is fine and really cool, literally just nerf clams cheese across the board and the issue is gone. It does have problems with viability, because losing the range on stuff like 96 gal and heavy deco when you pop it kinda sucks, and the endlag means your last few seconds need to be about getting to safety, so it's a special you need to pop at very specific times to make sure you aren't giving up a lot of control by using it, but that tradeoff is interesting imo. It's basically a temporary invincible tetra dualies mode.

Splashdown is just, not good in concept, same way it wasn't in splatoon 2. It can get you killed before it does anything and its aoe, like chumps, can be affected by the opponent. Honestly I think it's worse than Reefslider, and less interesting. Reefslider at least guarantees a dangerous explosion with a large chip radius and has the ability to travel forward. Even if you don't think that, splashdown didn't need to be brought back when reefslider is basically a splashdown rework, leads to overlap.

Screen is really really weak, basically a big 30 damage hitbox, and the only thing it can possibly do to make you respect it is mess with your game's colors and audio, which for some people does nothing, and for some people is jarring and triggering enough to make them unable to play the game.
I disagree here, as a person who was stuck playing some of the worst specials in the game including reefslider, I feel like splashdown is way better designed, people are already finding new ways to use the special and honestly the techs you can do with it are awesome

Switch Friend Code
SW-3955-3263-6311
I'm not gonna lie, seeing people saying the new special have been unhealthy has been bogging up my mind recently, like yeah sure screen sucks and kraken cheese shouldn't exist but specials like fist and chump are really cool a d honestly good for the game :/
Honestly get rid of screen it's simply not worth saving.

Kraken is fine just not let anyone jump to a kraken if they're holding a power clam.

Chumps are good design but underpowered.

And I think splash down shouldn't be in the game cuz we have a perfectly good splashdown rework they just refuse to buff it in any meaningful way.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
I disagree here, as a person who was stuck playing some of the worst specials in the game including reefslider, I feel like splashdown is way better designed, people are already finding new ways to use the special and honestly the techs you can do with it are awesome
most of the splashdown over walls and ledges stuff was apparent from day 1 and doesnt affect my opinion at all, it all comes off as very fake to me, leaves the splashdown user exposed still most of the time. the fact that it's so reactable doesnt help.

WIP Riley

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-8150-4404-2151
And I think splash down shouldn't be in the game cuz we have a perfectly good splashdown rework they just refuse to buff it in any meaningful way.
[/QUOTE]

Honestly I'd be better if reef got removed along with screen

Switch Friend Code
SW-3955-3263-6311
[/QUOTE]

Big disagree. It's an inflatable shark that you ride into battle and do an Akira slide with its plenty cool in concept it's just not as strong as other specials in 3. You could even make it fit into the 3 theme of splatoon 3 by giving it 2 little remoras that go out to the sides of you. There's a ton that you can do with slider and I'm sad that they pretty much abandoned it for splashdown but again.

WIP Riley

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-8150-4404-2151
Big disagree. It's an inflatable shark that you ride into battle and do an Akira slide with its plenty cool in concept it's just not as strong as other specials in 3. You could even make it fit into the 3 theme of splatoon 3 by giving it 2 little remoras that go out to the sides of you. There's a ton that you can do with slider and I'm sad that they pretty much abandoned it for splashdown but again.
[/QUOTE]
Ahem

Cool you say?

(Art by claupura on Twitter)

Attachments

The Knee

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-7739-4186-1690
Triple splashdowns design in terms of looks is cool i just think redoing splashdown was not the move
Kraken is cool and with some tweaks to cheese I think its fine
Chumps are just weak rn but with some hp buffs or something like that i see them being a fun special
**** screen we can say bye bye to that unless they rework that **** hard

Switch Friend Code
SW-3955-3263-6311
Ahem

Cool you say?

(Art by claupura on Twitter)
I'm not saying splashdown isn't cool (that arts really sick btw) I'm just saying I think slider is cooler (subjectively ofc) and is a more creative rework

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i feel like, in an optimal state where both reefslider and splashdown are good, they don't actually overlap that much in terms of what they accomplish. reefslider is ideally an entry tool, a way to force yourself into a new position that the enemy team has to respect. (the problem is that they don't have to respect it at the moment, they can just kill you before you get to do anything about it.) splashdown on the other hand isn't really an entry tool, it's an extension thing, where you use it when you're guaranteed to get value out of it, preferably after you've already gotten a kill with your main weapon so you can snowball the advantage while they try to equalize it. (it's just not very good at getting consistent value at the moment.)

kraken feels perfectly fine to me, excluding the obvious cheese which can easily be fixed if nintendo ever notices it's actually a problem. on that note though, i don't like how often people propose the extremely specific solution of "you cannot jump to a kraken, if you are holding a power clam". i think that's just weird and inconsistent; why would you be able to jump to a kraken most of the time but not while holding a clam, if you're saying it's fine to jump with a clam any other time? i think flc (maybe it was someone else though) proposed something like just making it so you always drop the power clam when you land from a super jump, which i think would be a good idea because it'd also nerf strats like brushes running to the enemy base and mashing "THIS WAY" to get a teammate to dunk a single power clam in in solo queue lol. it keeps it as being viable if you're stealthy about it but makes it pretty convincingly not cheese, which i think would be best

and everything to say about chumps has already been said, it's not a bad idea but it is just unfortunately very weak. i think if they made it detonate quicker it could be more viable but i don't think it'll ever reach the heights of any other displacement special

Switch Friend Code
SW-3955-3263-6311
i feel like, in an optimal state where both reefslider and splashdown are good, they don't actually overlap that much in terms of what they accomplish. reefslider is ideally an entry tool, a way to force yourself into a new position that the enemy team has to respect. (the problem is that they don't have to respect it at the moment, they can just kill you before you get to do anything about it.) splashdown on the other hand isn't really an entry tool, it's an extension thing, where you use it when you're guaranteed to get value out of it, preferably after you've already gotten a kill with your main weapon so you can snowball the advantage while they try to equalize it. (it's just not very good at getting consistent value at the moment.)

kraken feels perfectly fine to me, excluding the obvious cheese which can easily be fixed if nintendo ever notices it's actually a problem. on that note though, i don't like how often people propose the extremely specific solution of "you cannot jump to a kraken, if you are holding a power clam". i think that's just weird and inconsistent; why would you be able to jump to a kraken most of the time but not while holding a clam, if you're saying it's fine to jump with a clam any other time? i think flc (maybe it was someone else though) proposed something like just making it so you always drop the power clam when you land from a super jump, which i think would be a good idea because it'd also nerf strats like brushes running to the enemy base and mashing "THIS WAY" to get a teammate to dunk a single power clam in in solo queue lol. it keeps it as being viable if you're stealthy about it but makes it pretty convincingly not cheese, which i think would be best

and everything to say about chumps has already been said, it's not a bad idea but it is just unfortunately very weak. i think if they made it detonate quicker it could be more viable but i don't think it'll ever reach the heights of any other displacement special
I do agree with you on slider and splashdown I'm more just frustrated that they added splashdown without fixing the obvious splashdown rework. I also don't really like the amount of specials we have in the game with the current amount of kits we're predicted to get. It just makes everything feel very bloated but I hope that's fixed in time.

Stopping jumps to kraken if you have a power clam is just a quick fix for them to come up with a better solution but your idea is way better lol.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728

im only a fan of dropping the clam on landing if clam drops lose their rng, having for power clam randomly fall off a ledge or off the map as you land would make me cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom