Splatoon, a Watered Down Shooter?

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
It'd be similar to saying Mario Kart is a watered down racer and Smash is a watered down fighting game (Which you can find tons of arguments against. Different =/= watered down.) They are all hectic party games with the party game mentality, but they do have interesting and unique mechanics. I will say Mario Kart is the most guilty out of the 3 games because of the way items work and the mechanics are streamlined.

I think a bigger issue is how people think easily accessible games are 'casual rubbish' when it is a testament to game design and the mechanics of the game, especially when they have another layer beneath it. It's the whole easy to pick up, tough to master mentality. Splatoon may not be the most competitive game, but I don't think you could call it a watered down shooter.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
It's hard to categorize, hard to explain to those who haven't played it. Nonetheless I'm not really concerned by these issues :)
It's easy to pick up, and difficult to master. That's the mark of most great games.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Just because CSGO adds a bunch of features, like not being able to shoot while walking (or else bad aim), doesn't make it more "competitive" or "less watered down". I don't get why the fans try to make it seems as if it's the most competitive game around, while in reality, it takes less skill than games like Quake, where you also add in fast movement speeds. I climbed through the ranks with poor tracking (but good aim), which shouldn't be happening.
Anyways, I think Splatoon is not watered down. It just doesn't add a bunch of fun killing features.

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers
Well, similar to Metroid, while you are able to shoot, killing other players isn't the focus of the game at all. It has different and, in some cases, unique modes that requires shooting to play the game. Not to mention that it has unique aspects that other FPS lacks like swimming in inks, climbing up walls with ease, the rollers and brushes, etc.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
It's difficult to argue about Splatoon with people who haven't played it. It's just so unique that people won't get why it's good until they actually play it for theirselves. Motion controls, ink mechanics, overall well balanced weapons, gear and brand mechanics are just a few things which come to mind here. It's one of these "easy to learn, hard to master" games imo.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
Too be honest, since he didn't really back up his "watered-down shooter" statement, he's conveniently and most likely deliberately taken away your ability to make a rebuttal, if he has no points to prop up his claim, there's literally nothing to respond too. Other users on this thread have attempted to guess what his reasons for his opinion are, and formed counter-arguments, but they are just guesses.

Really, the best thing to do is just ask why he feels that way. Heck, I'd make the argument of Splatoon being more complex than TF 2

Maybe if you only play the single player, which is a straight shooter (and reminds me of tht weird Chameleon series of gmaes for the N64) and doesn't rely on the Turf War gimmick at all. I normally am more of a single-player sort of dude, but the platforming and climbing is kind of dull/annoying in the SP. In the end, it's a continuation of the arcade-y singleplayers of MP-focused shooters that only use a few mechanics of the MP, and I can see why he'd think it's a watered down shooter if he only saw the SP.

just like call of duty :V

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom