• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Competitive Discord Server

SupersonicWaffle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supersonicwaffle
Hello everyone,

If someone's already done this please point me to a thread :p

since TOs are starting to require particiapants use Discord I thought I would make sense to try to organize the whole competitive community in Discord like competitive communities used to organize themselves in IRC a few years ago.

If you're new to discord here's what it offers:
  • Text-Chat organized in channels, you can join these with a simple invite link
  • Voice-Chat organized in channels, you can join these with a simple invite link
  • Desktop, mobile and web clients
  • Creation of "Servers" that you can use for private clan business and voice chat
  • it's free
The advantages of this would be that anyone with a link can join and you don't need to be added to a group like in skype, this saves everyone especially TOs a lot of time and allows them to manage things easier in real-time, it also makes match reporting much easier for particiapants.

I've created a Splatoon discord server with a bunch of channels, if you would like to see a channel added let me know. Voice is disabled for now bc it seems I can't give permissions to only delete channels someone has created himself.

Here's the channels and their invite links.

#general
#pcw-search
#squad-pugs

Please keep chat to the #general channel.
Theres also #pcw-search for looking for practice clan wars / scrims, #squad-pugs to look for other squids to team up with, #gear-exchange to trade and talk about gear and as per request I created #to for TOs to discuss TO stuff in if you are an organizer that wan't to coordinate with other organizers please send me a pm on discord so I can grant you access to that channel

Last edited:

jamesrcade

Senior Squid
NSTC has had it's own private server for a long time, I can't recommend it enough.

I did create a general one for Squidboards, mainly to be used as a place to arrange private clan matches but it never really took off. If this one does, I'll move to yours :P

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
NSTC has had it's own private server for a long time, I can't recommend it enough.

I did create a general one for Squidboards, mainly to be used as a place to arrange private clan matches but it never really took off. If this one does, I'll move to yours :p
Yup Discord is just superior. People not using it are equal to my grandma still sticking to Internet Explorer 7.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Yup Discord is just superior. People not using it are equal to my grandma still sticking to Internet Explorer 7.
haha. But I wish people would choose discord > skype more often tbh. It is a much better option.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Good idea, was going to look into doing this a while ago as PUG setup does need a central hub and Discord is the easiest way to do that.

SupersonicWaffle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supersonicwaffle
Good idea, was going to look into doing this a while ago as PUG setup does need a central hub and Discord is the easiest way to do that.
well not really :D

irc is much more mature and there's already pick up game bots out that there manage most of it for you but irc ain't popular with the kids these days.

I don't know how long discord has been around but it doesn't seem very mature yet, but I'd say it's future looks bright judging from the planned features

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Discord has immense potential from what I've seen so far. I have yet to test out the voice chat, though. The only thing which bugs me a little is that you can't add contacts like in Skype. In general you don't need to when you're on a server, but if feels weird for me as someone who used Skype for ages.

And of course I have my >500 contacts in Skype, so it will be hard to ditch that... :D

Njok

Bouncer
About the voice chat, We have been using it for about a week now and i really like it. It beats mumble & teamspeak (which we used before that) imo.

SupersonicWaffle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supersonicwaffle
Discord has immense potential from what I've seen so far. I have yet to test out the voice chat, though. The only thing which bugs me a little is that you can't add contacts like in Skype. In general you don't need to when you're on a server, but if feels weird for me as someone who used Skype for ages.

And of course I have my >500 contacts in Skype, so it will be hard to ditch that... :D
If you read the what's new splash or whatever they called it they have a coming soon section in there. They have a friend list, voice chat overlay, channel topics and a bot api coming up from what I've read.

skype and discord really target different needs. skype isn't built to organize communities in and it shows having no way to join the chat on your own creates an artificial exclusivity that you really don't want in this situation and if you want to get around the "exclusivity" it's just a time waster for group admins.

the way skype's voice chat works is also something you would not want to use for gaming. yes, you can force skype to be relayed through microsofts servers by restricting outgoing traffic on all ports above the well-known-ports for TCP and UDP in your firewall for high-availability but good luck having anyone set that up properly. I also don't know how opus behaves in that situation because microsoft significantly limits bandwidth when relaying through their servers so you might take a hit in voice quality. then there's also the problem of not having noise gates in skype so you'll have to constantly listen to everyone's static when you're trying to listen to the game. don't get me wrong skype is very good (it was better before microsoft bought it), it's just not the right application for this use case!

Discord's voice chat uses the same opus codec as all the other popular voice chat applications and it seems to be set really high, it has very good voice quality and is easy to set up so definitely give it a shot. it also has the huge advantage of not having to be hosted by a user so it will be much more reliable and not mess everyone up if the wrong guy gets connection problems.

What I'm trying to say is they're not substituting each other, use both.

Last edited:

Lrdalucard

Inkling
NNID
AlucardTepes_DE
If you read the what's new splash or whatever they called it they have a coming soon section in there. They have a friend list, voice chat overlay, channel topics and a bot api coming up from what I've read.

skype and discord really target different needs. skype isn't built to organize communities in and it shows having no way to join the chat on your own creates an artificial exclusivity that you really don't want in this situation and if you want to get around the "exclusivity" it's just a time waster for group admins.

the way skype's voice chat works is also something you would not want to use for gaming. yes, you can force skype to be relayed through microsofts servers by restricting outgoing traffic on all ports above the well-known-ports for TCP and UDP in your firewall for high-availability but good luck having anyone set that up properly. I also don't know how opus behaves in that situation because microsoft significantly limits bandwidth when relaying through their servers so you might take a hit in voice quality. then there's also the problem of not having noise gates in skype so you'll have to constantly listen to everyone's static when you're trying to listen to the game. don't get me wrong skype is very good (it was better before microsoft bought it), it's just not the right application for this use case!

Discord's voice chat uses the same opus codec as all the other popular voice chat applications and it seems to be set really high, it has very good voice quality and is easy to set up so definitely give it a shot. it also has the huge advantage of not having to be hosted by a user so it will be much more reliable and not mess everyone up if the wrong guy gets connection problems.

What I'm trying to say is they're not substituting each other, use both.
Skype has an small advantage btw, u can use it with ur phone computer psVita ipads, w/e it supports, and the other programs only work with a computer, some times its just not worthy switch on ur entire computer just for a simple team/friends chat. Besides i rather be in control who joins my "calls".

Ps:Wish mirc had a voice chat... XD

SupersonicWaffle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supersonicwaffle
Skype has an small advantage btw, u can use it with ur phone computer psVita ipads, w/e it supports, and the other programs only work with a computer, some times its just not worthy switch on ur entire computer just for a simple team/friends chat. Besides i rather be in control who joins my "calls".

Ps:Wish mirc had a voice chat... XD
not really sure what you are talking about :P

as I mentioned in my first post discord has a desktop, mobile and web app so do the other programs minus the web app so you have no disadvantage compared to skype in that regard unless you have either:

• no admin privileges (with mumble or teamspeak)
  • a chromebook (with mumble or teamspeak)
  • a windows phone (skype is currently the only of the popular apps to support that platform)
  • for whatever reason need to use it on a psp or psvita

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
I hate to bump this dead thread, but I just have to say this...Discord does nothing new. Before Skype and Internet Explorer, people used the ancient program called IRC, Internet Relay Chat. It was even used to bounce messages across the Iron Curtain during the Cold War. It featured Servers and Channels just like discord, and was one of the first methods of consumer international communication over the internet.

All Discord does is take the personalization of Skype and slap it onto IRC. Discord is literally a prettied up IRC. So when you say "People who still you skype are like your grandma still using Internet Explorer", it's more likely that a bunch of young people are jumping on the next fad and calling it "the best thing ever" like they always do.

For some reason it's always like this. At one point everyone was using AOL, and then everyone was using MSN, and then everyone was using Skype and "lol who uses msn anymore? top kek."

IRC is still used today (I use it to chat for some MMO's) and has had a bunch of client based upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom