Splatoon COMPETITIVE Sub Weapon Tier List

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
I thought it would be interesting to create a tier list for sub weapons and where they currently stand in the competing metagame. Hopefully this could spark some interesting discussions.

These sub weapons define the competitive metagame. These subs have the most utility and can be used in a variety of offensive and defensive ways

S TIER
splash wall
burst bomb
squid beacon

These sub weapons have a solid presence in the competitive metagame. They are very straightforward and are effective at what they do

A TIER
suction bomb
splat bomb

These sub weapons have a small presence in the competitive metagame. Although they aren't as powerful, they tend to serve very niche rolls.

B TIER
sprinkler
seeker

These sub weapons see little to no play in the competitive metagame. Basically these are either very underpowered or can be rendered borderline useless in certain scenarios

C TIER
disruptor
point sensor
ink mine

I may do one for specials if ppl are interested

Last edited:

RosyDawn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PinkDawn
I don't think sub weapons can be put into tiers because there are a lot of different ways you use them, and how they compliment the main weapon. Burst bombs on eliter are not used the same way as they are with a bucket or carbon roller.

Beacons are going to be better or worse depending on the map and mode, and what gear abilities you're using (quick super jump/quick respawn), and where you're placing them. Walls are very very strong on Port Mackerel, but somewhat weaker on Blackbelly.

Disruptors are one of the best sub weapons. They can essentially turn a fight into a 3v4 or 2v4 instantly.

Point sensors are also good as they help your whole team out.

All of the sub weapons are good in their own role, which is how the game is designed.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Splash Wall has no business being on this list. It's S+ rank at the top of the main weapon tier.

edit: I would also argue that Disruptor is A tier but it's a very polarizing sub. Seeker is also much worse than Sprinkler is. I think Sprinkler is a very niche sub that really only works with splat charger and dynamo.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
I don't think assessing just one part of a weapon's kit, be it the main weapon, the sub weapon, or the special, is as helpful as assessing the full set and how well the different parts of it complement each other. The individual parts don't have a fixed value; you're not necessarily going to get an uberweapon just by combining the "best" main weapon with the "best" sub weapon.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Where are we getting these statistics from is what I want to know.

Charlight

Meme Spy
While, as others have said, I agree with it being more useful to assess weapons/kits as a whole, I think it's possible to make an approximate 'rule of thumb' tier list of the subweapons. Here's my personal opinion:

S TIER
splash wall

A TIER
suction bomb
squid beacon
sprinkler

B TIER
burst bomb
disruptor
splat bomb

C TIER
seeker
point sensor

D TIER
ink mine

Of course, it really depends on which gamemode it is. E.g. sprinkler is super useful in splat zones and rainmaker.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
My humble opinions...

S
Splash Wall (obviously)

A
Disruptor (very strong, thus only equipped to bad weapons, thanks Ninty)
Suction Bomb (best aggressive zoning sub)
Burst Bomb (currently strong in the meta)

B
Point Sensor (very situational, but also underrated)
Sprinkler (VERY underrated, sprinkler placement meta is huge, but developing slowly)
Splat Bomb (not as strong as other bomb types)
Squid Beakon (a little overrated in my opinion, depends on the map)

C
Seeker (very hard to use effectively)
Ink Mine (outright bad)

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
My humble opinion

S
Splat Wall: Easy protection to win skirmishes. Highly useful.

A
Sprinkler: Versatile tool that charges up specials, inks turf, and distracts foes
Burst Bomb: Gives more range options to its weapons, powerful for splats.
Disruptor: Cripples any foes it hits, making it easy to splat someone.

B
Squid Beakon: Can be very useful, but is situational and relies on competent teammates.
Suction Bomb: Destructive firepower, great for bomb rush and chasing off foes.
Splat Bomb: More offencive bomb, good for splatting foes.

C
Point Sensor: Most foes are easy to track, so only good for preventing ambushes (which they use a good bit of ink)
Seeker: Not enough flat turf to make work.
Ink Mine: Too easy to dodge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom