Splatoon Direct Impressions

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
I really liked the direct. Getting a bit more info on the city(Booyah Base was probably named by Cyborg lol) and being able to order and respec gear got me a lot more interested. Love the kraken special and that some squid missions will involve it. The kalimari sisters are fun and the events sound pretty interesting as well to me. The game being supported through the summer is awesome to me as it will mean I will have more to look forward to through the months as I play.
Not sure I like the map rotation though. Two choices for four hour increments doesnt sound too good to me.
So playing that demo tomorrow.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I really liked the direct. Getting a bit more info on the city(Booyah Base was probably named by Cyborg lol) and being able to order and respec gear got me a lot more interested. Love the kraken special and that some squid missions will involve it. The kalimari sisters are fun and the events sound pretty interesting as well to me. The game being supported through the summer is awesome to me as it will mean I will have more to look forward to through the months as I play.
Not sure I like the map rotation though. Two choices for four hour increments doesnt sound too good to me.
So playing that demo tomorrow.
Map rotation seemed a bit weak to me as well. Maybe during the period after the game's launch, it'll be fine for me because I'll definitely be playing for more than 4 hours, but what about afterwards? We'll see, I guess.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I'm really glad with the direct overall, I expected the content would be rolled out in waves after release from interviews and previews, so I'm not really bothered by that, actually really interested to see if this model will work well or not (reviews will be rough).

I'm very excited that gear abilities are random, was hoping for this, any gear can work and I'm glad not everyone will be using the same clothes. New characters and modes look cool too.

Squid amiibo has the superior challenges, hate that mini-games are unlocked by amiibo as well as the customization options, really sucks... uhng... (even though I'll probably have the amiibo, locking content isn't something I like to see Nintendo doing).

MrRoidley

Full Squid
The only thing that I didn't quite like was how some of the minigames are locked behind amiibo.
But aside of that, I'm really hyped. Everything looks great. Not to mention that Nintendo will keep the game alive and fresh by updates, putting even new maps for free!

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
A little disappointed that so much of the stuff for online play is coming out a couple months after the game.
Pretty much this. I really wanted to mess about with friends in private matches and practice some teamwork before fully going into competitive/ranked play, but I guess I'll have to go solo for three months, unless my friends get lucky and manage to join my team in Turf War.

Another thing I'm worried about is how much RNG is involved with gear. I'm really worried my amiibo gear will have perks that I just don't want on them, because it seems like it will be a huge hassle to try and change them. I doubt you can get another set of that gear unless you buy another amiibo. Of course, unless you can get another set by beating the challenges again, then it might not be so bad. It would still be tedious to get the right perks you want on your gear anyway, and that's a little annoying, but at least certain perks don't seem to be tied to specific pieces of gear.

Overall, the direct was much better than I was expecting. However, it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping it would be. I really do think the waiting periods for some of these things is a little annoying, mostly the private matches, though waiting for other game modes is annoying as well. I don't think they announced when the other game modes would be available, so hopefully it isn't a ridiculous three month wait for those, too.

Jellykun

Senior Squid
NNID
Jellykun
I agree, waiting for the game modes will be such a pain to do, as Diableos said, I just hope it isn't a ridiculous long wait, otherwise I'll be able to live with it I guess, at least we will be able to do a few things online in general rather than nothing, either way waiting is quite.. annoying, but either way, how can I not be hyped?

DigDeep

Senior Squid
Really disappointed. There is SO much being withheld from launch to "extend the life of the game."

We have already seen two of the stages being released later. Why are they not available at launch, they're playable. The rest I understand since they could still be finishing it.

Online match making and lobbies coming later is BS too. That's Nintendo being so behind the times and out of touch with gaming trends today, that they barely started working on it after the outcry for it following no voice chat. And they can just play it off as "WE'RE EXTENDING THE LIFE OF THE GAME!!!" and because it's Nintendo it's considered ok, they're just "finally getting with the times." It's annoying.

All the Direct did was made me question why I should even buy at launch when so much is coming out around August. It killed all hype for me honestly. :/

Mr.Man17

Full Squid
Really disappointed. There is SO much being withheld from launch to "extend the life of the game."

We have already seen two of the stages being released later. Why are they not available at launch, they're playable. The rest I understand since they could still be finishing it.

Online match making and lobbies coming later is BS too. That's Nintendo being so behind the times and out of touch with gaming trends today, that they barely started working on it after the outcry for it following no voice chat. And they can just play it off as "WE'RE EXTENDING THE LIFE OF THE GAME!!!" and because it's Nintendo it's considered ok, they're just "finally getting with the times." It's annoying.

All the Direct did was made me question why I should even buy at launch when so much is coming out around August. It killed all hype for me honestly. :/
While I am now buying the game (my original intention was to buy it used for $30), I agree with everything you said. I feel (along with some others) felt that Nintendo added in custom matches due to fan outcry as they said before it won't be in the game. I would also be pissed but weekly free content brought back my hype again. That and tower mode.

Still you are 100%.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Slots is really interesting. It's like MH but you can actually add slots and reroll.
Customization of any kind<3

Edit: I'm quite excited for all the multiplayer options, although I'm concerned about the lack of in game voice chat. Maybe we'll have it for friends, but I'd like to have a headset with game audio and voice chat. Noise is always important in shooters (not to mention the kick *** music!)

Last edited:

Kraken Wise

Inkling
NNID
nath1343
Positives
+ Weapons diversity
+ Gear customisation
+ Online tournaments (Splatfest)
+ Updates are free

Negatives
- So much missing content upon release
- 2 maps available per 4 hours - biggest wtf of the presentation
- Demo timeframe is too short
- Still not enough online game modes

A really good Direct overall though, my hype has duly hit new heights but I'm disappointed some really questionable design decisions might hold this game back from realising it's true potential.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
- 2 maps available per 4 hours - biggest wtf of the presentation
I've never seen anything like this, so I'm personaly very excited for it. Knowing these maps inside and out is much more important than usual, since your movement is based on how much if the map you control, so being able to study the maps is nice. Just gotta be open to new ideas. It'll make testing weapons on maps much easier too.

As for the lack of gamemodes, when you have tons of options (like Halo Reach and Halo 4) it tends to seperate the community all over the place. So I'd personally prefer to see fewer modes as long as the population stays high, instead of tons of different lobbies with 100 peepz in each.

I mean, we're all excited because this is a NEW IP, should we not also be open to new ways of play and new ways of thought?

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
My only concern is private rooms not being at launch and the 2 maps for 4 hours thing. Only the second thing is a major thing, but maybe I'll like it after playing. I wonder why they are doing it. Other than that, great direct! I love the Kraken squid! :D

Kraken Wise

Inkling
NNID
nath1343
I'm just concerned that only having 2 maps per 4 hours will become repetitive, but you're right in the sense that I should be more open-minded and judge after I've played it.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
The 4 hour map rotation is definitely out of the ordinary, but I see it as an opportunity to be able to really test out different weapons and strategies on maps rapidly. I just think of other games with more maps in the rotation and sometimes I wish I could just get back in the same map to try something new but I'm not able to until it randomly decides to come around again.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
My only concern is private rooms not being at launch and the 2 maps for 4 hours thing. Only the second thing is a major thing, but maybe I'll like it after playing. I wonder why they are doing it. Other than that, great direct! I love the Kraken squid! :D
I get why people don't like the private rooms thing (like really get) but personally it doesn't matter to me. I never really saw myself as being in a squad or anything and prefer playing in random groups...or at least never being identifiable. Back in TF2 I would scurry a server once people started recognizing me.

It still sucks but it's one thing I can be content with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom