• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Gear Update 2.6.0 with Correct Translations

Which buffed ability are you most looking forward to?

• Comeback

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Opening Gambit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Last-Ditch Effort

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Haunt

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Recon

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Bomb Sniffer

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Tenacity

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Special Duration Up

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Ink Saver Sub

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Ink Recovery Up

• Ink Saver Main

• Total voters

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
I am super hyped for bomb sniffer, haunt and LDE, especially LDE for 2 reasons, It starts when you get a disadvantage in ranked and it then goes on for the rest of the match and because the coloured shades are my favirote peace of gear cosmetics wise. I never really saw benefit in could blooded as I never really found I was in situations were I thought something like "I wish I wasn't being tracked right now" so haunts an obvious choice for me. Bomb sniffer is hype because who doesn't want a burst bomb counter? I wanna make use of all the new buff so I'm probably gonna be running something like this from now on:
:head_eye003::ability_lastditcheffort::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_tel010::ability_haunt::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: or:clothes_shirt010::ability_haunt::ability_lastditcheffort::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: when dmg up isn't needed
:shoes_slo001::ability_bombsniffer::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Not as hyped for it as LDE but OG seems like it's gonna be great on RM.
Nintendo missed an opertunity to give ninja squid the buff it needs though.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Comeback and sub saver (mostly comeback). I have a gear combination using comeback that i love running with the splash (both variants) and now with the extra special charge, i'm even more psyched. i used to run sub saver quite a bit in the early days, but slowly stopped using them because i sometimes wouldn't even feel the difference. But now it will get a pretty great boost so i'm gonna start using it again. I'm just overal happy with these buffs. The one thing i always want to see is variety and this might just bring some crazy sets in ranked and some awesome strategies in tournies. I honestly feel like opening gambit is gonna get used quite a bit in rainmaker. What i'm afraid of is people using these for a week or two and than stopping almost immediatley, but i'm hopeful that's not case. There obviously will be people who will just stick to what they already have.

Mecha Mario

Inkling
NNID
MechaMarioAE
WVW69i9bAF0-Pms1j2.jpg
I'm ready for this update in style! (Took about 10 rolls to get all three ready for it.)

I'm most excited for is LDE, Haunted, and Bomb Sniffer, though I planned to check them all out as got some interesting sets want to try out now, such as OG in Rainmaker. Already been using Comeback and Haunted for awhile now when running a blaster, so excited to see them get buffed too.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
My big hopes are for Sub Ink Saver. It's practically worthless in mine eyes as it stands, so it'll be interesting to see just how much better it really is. Enough for another Splat Bomb to be thrown at least?
(Off-topic, but I never did understand the logic behind making regular bombs consume as much ink as the Suction Bombs...)

I'm also looking forward to the new Bomb Sniffer. Or, as I'm going to call it henceforth, Bomb Resistance Up. That in conjunction with Defense Up will hopefully make dealing with Inkling grenadiers a little less stressful. If it does, I might actually have to consider swapping out my Ink Resistance shoes for them.

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
"Bust bomb damage will be reduced by 20%"

It was as if thousands of E-Liter mains cried out in terror, then were suddenly silenced.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
I always liked the concept of haunt and with the buff it's receiving I actually have a proper excuse to use it in my gear set. I'll be switching it out for a slot which was previously a defense main but since I'll be getting that benefit while tracked (which is when I need it most anyways) I can afford the switch. The extra damage and run speed are a nice bonus and I wonder how often they'll help me secure kills. In addition I'll be able to tag players that over take me so I'm winning either way. (unfortunate that cold-blooded still shortens it's effect but luckily not everyone uses that ability).

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Wait, what? Ink Recovery actually gets buffed even more? It was already really good to begin with, and it gets buffed the most out of all ink-conserving buffs. It kind of makes Sub Saver/Main Saver feel just as weak as before.
Also wierded out that Tenacity gets buffed, even though it was already a good ability to begin with.

And as for the effect of sniffer on bursts...
direct hit= 60*0.8= 48
indirect hit= 40*0.8= 32
distant hit= 20*0.8= 16

Going to make a small comparison here:

For people without BS (The abbreviation of choice for e-liter mains!)
2 direct hits nesseccary to splat
1 direct and 1 indirect hit to splat (it's just enough)
3 indirect hits to splat

But when someone equips Sniffer:
3 directs hits nessecary to splat (can easily be shortened by some dmg ups)
1 direct and 2 indirect hits to splat
4 indirect hits nessecary to splat (can also be shortened to 3??)

I don't think it'll hurt E-Liters that much, considering how much damage-ups they usually stack will mitigate the effects of sniffer and keep on generating mighty fine piles of salt as usual. The weapons that suffers the most from this is easily the CJS, which relies heavily on bursts to shorten ttk at close range. Depends on how popular this ability will really get.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Definitely think Last Ditch Effort got the best boost here, the fact it kicks in a whenever the other team gets there score to 30 or less really makes it feel more like the abilities name, since you're in the last ditch situation to fight back and take the lead from the other team. It also is nice to see it now work in Extra Time (Overtime in the NTSC-U version), as well as the respawn boost it gives, I may well start using this on Tower and Rainmaker over my Backwards Cap (which has 2 subs of QR on it), I don't think it'll be very effective on Splat Zones though, since the timer ticks down too fast when the zone is secured and spawn camping is a big thing in zones, especially in S/S+ rooms. Think about it this way, if the enemy team get that early push, they'll trigger LDE, giving those who have it equipped a boost in Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub, Ink Recovery Up and Quick Respawn, allowing those players to focus on other abilities in their builds, whilst still having some extra of those abilities if they so desire. According to Inkipedia (I prefer this Wiki to the other one), Ink Saver Main reduces ink usage by 17%, Ink Saver Sub reduces ink usage by 11% and boosts Ink Recovery by 18%.

When you combine this with the fact it'll be boosting your respawn time (probably around 0.5s to 1s faster), it'll be a very useful ability to use for those who like to have more Ink Efficiency without splashing out too much on those abilities, allowing them to use more of other abilities they had to sacrifice before. Unfortunately they are only 5 pieces of gear with this ability and 2 of those are Firefin and Forge, both of which I consider bad brands due to rolling Ink Saver Sub and Special Duration Up. Keep in mind that Ink Saver Sub only has its cap boosted, and may not boost how the effectiveness of each ability, so it may still be less useful to use over other abilities. Special Duration is also rather lame, since it doesn't add much of a boost to how long the special lasts. That leaves Skalop (Gross Visor Skate Helmet), Rockenberg (18K Aviators) and Zekko (Coloured Shades - Tinted Shades in the NTSC-U version). Personally I will use the Coloured Shades, since they look the best out of those 3 and offer Special Saver, one of my favourite abilities in the game. The Skalop hat offers Quick Respawn, but it looks so unfresh I won't use it (I do like to have my Inkling look fresh, but I still take into account abilities and brands) and the Rockenberg's look nice, but I would rather use Special Saver than Run Speed (although I may swap between the 2 depending on weapon, mode and map).

The other ability I'm hyped for is Recon, and I never thought I would hear myself say that. The fact it'll now show up for 3.5s after leaving base and shows the weapons each enemy is using will make it a very interesting ability and may be seen more frequently in squads and tourneys. It'll help locate where each weapon is and allow for a more coordinated attack on those who may cause trouble with their weapons or specials, allowing for an added layer of depth. If the person who uses it combines it with lots of :ability_quicksuperjump:, then they can quickly jump back and forth when it's safe to do so and call out enemy locations, then quickly rejoin the action. This will be more useful when applied to a weapon with Squid Beakons, simply place a Beakon in a convenient location, make sure you tell your teammates to leave that one alone, then use it to jump back and forth, enabling you to help out with the objective and keep an eye on enemy positions and what they may be up to.

All in all I believe the devs have done a smart thing here, since they've boosted most of the exclusive abilities (that is the ones stuck on Head, Shirts and Shoes and can't be placed as a sub ability) to encourage more variety of gear and new ways to play Splatoon. It's things like this that help keep the game fresh. However, we cannot guarantee that people will stick to using this abilities after the first few days, which would be a terrible shame imo. When you combine this with the Sheldon's Picks, we should be seeing more variety and more strategies forming in Splatoon, thereby enhancing the meta even further.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Holy Crap, all these buffs make it almost possible having Job Classes in the game now, especially now that there is something to somewhat negate bomb damage, and something to give you a middle finger for people using detection on you.

Seriously, some of the gear specific abilities should have a special ability + a middle finger ability.

But i think Haunt is going to be the most common ability i see from now on.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Keep in mind that Ink Saver Sub only has its cap boosted, and may not boost how the effectiveness of each ability, so it may still be less useful to use over other abilities.
It's cap being boosted means the ability overall will be increased. It wouldn't make sense for the buff to take effect when you equip 3 mains and 9 subs.

EBJustin

Full Squid
NNID
EBJustin
If you were to were use Bomb Sniffer in addition to Defense Up abilities, would that essentially take away the OHKOs (one hit KOs) of any bomb excluding the burst bomb?

Base damage of any bomb (excluding burst bombs): 180.0
Damage of these bombs = 40% decrease with Bomb Sniffer
Base damage of bombs that explode on someone with Bomb Sniffer: 180 * 0.6 = 108.0

Factor in a couple Defense Up abilities (and if the other player is not running Damage Up abilities) and that would take away the OHKO of those bombs. Am I missing something here or is this actually true?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
If you were to were use Bomb Sniffer in addition to Defense Up abilities, would that essentially take away the OHKOs (one hit KOs) of any bomb excluding the burst bomb?

Base damage of bombs that explode on someone with Bomb Sniffer: 180 * 0.6 = 108.0

Factor in a couple Defense Up abilities (and if the other player is not running Damage Up abilities) and that would take away the OHKO of those bombs. Am I missing something here or is this actually true?
This would require testing, and i would love to see the result of it!
If this is true, then i would never go hungry again.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242

nope. the bomb sniffer defense is only applied when the bomb (splat and suction bomb) is out of one hit KO range, but still does splash damage. let's say for example the one hit ko range is 1.5 metres. if you're 1.6 metres away, and have bomb sniffer equipped of course, than the splash will do less damage, but if you're 1.5 metres away or closer, you will get splatted, no matter how many defense up you have (since the damage is so high). burst bomb on the other hand, will have it's damage lessened no matter where it hits you.

Last edited:

Achoy178

Inkling
NNID
Achoy178
I would've asked for more, but these are REALLY useful. I'm most exited for the Bomb Sniffer and Haunt buffs (Bomb Sniffer for the most part), but I'm sure to try out everything at some point. ;)

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
This would require testing, and i would love to see the result of it!
If this is true, then i would never go hungry again.
i did the calcs using data on the inkipedia page and a minimum of 6 subs is needed, if the defense applied within the OHKO range that is.

Last edited:

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
i did the calcs using data on the inkipedia page and a minimum of 6 subs is needed, if the defense applied within the OHKO range that is.
So in theory it will work?
The one thing i would like to know is, will the bomb blast still OHKO or actually protect you from it if maxed out properly.
Cause if you look from another angle, if a sniper can have sort of blast resistance where one bomb does not affect you, it would be of a really high benefit for them.
Then again, i would never have to see Damage Up Snipers again though, good thought.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
So in theory it will work?
The one thing i would like to know is, will the bomb blast still OHKO or actually protect you from it if maxed out properly.
Cause if you look from another angle, if a sniper can have sort of blast resistance where one bomb does not affect you, it would be of a really high benefit for them.
Then again, i would never have to see Damage Up Snipers again though, good thought.
i talked about this in a comment right above yours so i'll just copy it here.
"nope. the bomb sniffer defense is only applied when the bomb (splat and suction bomb) is out of one hit KO range, but still does splash damage. let's say for example the one hit ko range is 1.5 metres. if you're 1.6 metres away, and have bomb sniffer equipped of course, than the splash will do less damage, but if you're 1.5 metres away or closer, you will get splatted, no matter how many defense up you have (since the damage is so high). burst bomb on the other hand, will have it's damage lessened no matter where it hits you."

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I dunno, even if Bomb Sniffer + 6 Defense Up subs causes bombs to lose their OHKO power, it wouldn't exactly be much of a safety net. You'd take, what, 96.0 damage, maybe? One little prick on the finger and you'd be splatted anyway.
(Also, to the best of my knowledge, no shooting game allows you to survive a direct impact from any explosive weapon.)

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
I actually relied on recon a bunch in ranked pre-update, enough that it felt strange to not have it when I wasn't wearing the olive ski jacket. As someone who's only been playing Splatoon for a few months and isn't great at reading people's moves or predicting stuff, seeing where people on the other team are after coming back from getting splatted has helped me avoid walking into an instant splat.

I'm glad to hear it's going to become even more useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom