Splatoon is secretly a MOBA

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
I think it's an interesting idea, but they function and appeal completely different. I think it would be closer related to the action (shooter) strategy genre, but that's just me.

Treadlight

Inkling
NNID
Excavater9
While I do categorize any team-based competitive video game as a MOBA, I wonder what this guy's reasoning was behind making this claim, as he seems to be a bit oppositional to the game.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
MOBA is a fake genre used to describe any game that's a rip-off of DotA. I hate the term so much. It's such a broad nomenclature that literally every multiplayer shooter can be defined as a MOBA. How about battle mode in Mario Kart 8? It's multiplayer, it's online, and it's... oh wait, they removed battle arenas. Carry on then.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I know splatting paint all over the place may destroy peoples imagination and creativity, but going as far as calling it a Musem Of Bad Arts is a little bit of a stretch?

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
MOBA is a fake genre used to describe any game that's a rip-off of DotA. I hate the term so much. It's such a broad nomenclature that literally every multiplayer shooter can be defined as a MOBA. How about battle mode in Mario Kart 8? It's multiplayer, it's online, and it's... oh wait, they removed battle arenas. Carry on then.
I'm not sure how I feel about the MOBA classification either, but I am definitely on board with classifying Splatoon as something other than a shooter. I believe the gameplay is novel enough to be considered a new genre of its own, and it would help to separate it from being compared to other popular game series that have led people to form generalizations about how the game should function, play, and what features it should and should not have.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
I really dont believe that shifting the focus from shooting others to shooting the environment is enough to say it's a different genre of game

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
MOBA... Multiplayer Online Battle Arena was it?
Mutiplayer - Check
Online - Check
Battle Arena - Check
Does this change anything about the game? Nope, MOBA is just a name to be honest.
This guy is just simply trying to start a fire or confuse/discourage people who are getting the game.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
This is like complaining about Games in which you Play a Role.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
This is like complaining about Games in which you Play a Role.
Despite the fact that RPG only loosely fits the description of the content, it actually has some reasoning behind the naming convention, since the term was associated with board games that inspired the mechanics behind the video games it spawned. On the other hand, MOBA seems like a way of saying, "Well it's DotA, but that's okay because it's a genre now." Yeah yeah, semantics and all that jazz. My point is that it doesn't matter and Splatoon is a great game regardless of genre.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
My god, why did I watch that.

Map control is important no matter what...ugh, I don't even.

miine

Inkling
NNID
minesworld.de
They have a point. But I think that Splatoon is defining its own genre we don't have a name for yet...

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Despite the fact that RPG only loosely fits the description of the content, it actually has some reasoning behind the naming convention, since the term was associated with board games that inspired the mechanics behind the video games it spawned. On the other hand, MOBA seems like a way of saying, "Well it's DotA, but that's okay because it's a genre now." Yeah yeah, semantics and all that jazz. My point is that it doesn't matter and Splatoon is a great game regardless of genre.
That's how a lot of genres were born. Once upon a time shooters were called "Doom Clones".

Cozmosus

Inkling
That's how a lot of genres were born. Once upon a time shooters were called "Doom Clones".
At least "Shooter" is more specific. It's a game where you shoot things. MOBA is WAY more vague. For DoTA-like games, I prefer the term "Totally Online Tower Arena Lane Battle Intensive Strategy Clicking with Usually Isometric Tactics".

Snivy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Sonicxpika
uhh...no i don't think so. Shooter barely describes this game but its the best depiction so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom