Splatoon is secretly a MOBA

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
mobas have those elements but that doesn't make it a moba

shooters also have the elements he was talking about, they're just not readily obvious to someone who doesn't play them competitively but this game makes a point of screaming "MAP CONTROL" at you all game every game

Linkfreak404

Full Squid
NNID
linkfreak404
I don't see why this is such a touchy subject to some people. Who cares what it's called? If the game is fun, shouldn't that matter?

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
I don't see why this is such a touchy subject to some people. Who cares what it's called? If the game is fun, shouldn't that matter?
It may just be irritating to some. Kinda like saying CoD is the best fighting game or something else ludicrous. Most don't care to entertain the thought, and I can understand that. After all, apples aren't oranges.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
That is certainly interesting... but I disagree with the notion that the game is a MOBA.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I really dont believe that shifting the focus from shooting others to shooting the environment is enough to say it's a different genre of game
I feel the same way and if anything it'd fall in a sub genre (if more games fit a similar style) similar to what the 'Kart' genre is to the Racing genre. It really is too soon to try and be pushing that idea (rarely do 1-2 games make a whole new genre until others follow suit) and at the end of the day it is good for games within genres to be distinct from one another instead of trying to be carbon copies. (There are arguments that genres can be confining for new games that try to be unique and different when they feel the fanbase will react negatively to it.)

Mesmer

Inkling
NNID
Tiegojongen
What's with the hatred towards the MOBA genre anyway? If it's against the community, I agree, but the complexity and depth of the genre are to be matched. I'm a long time Dota2 player, and purchased Splatoon today.
And I do understand the literal meaning of the term MOBA, but it's always been used in correlation with multiple heroes/ lanes with creeps/ towers/ ancient whatev. So.. no.. Splatoon isn't a MOBA.. not even close. It is, however, a very fun game with more depth than I would have given it credit for before I started playing. But not every game with a form of depth, map control and objectives is to be defined as a MOBA.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
MOBA... Multiplayer Online Battle Arena was it?
Mutiplayer - Check
Online - Check
Battle Arena - Check
Does this change anything about the game? Nope, MOBA is just a name to be honest.
This guy is just simply trying to start a fire or confuse/discourage people who are getting the game.
agreed, MOBA is so broad that it doesn't really mean anything

It's not DotA style at all, though. I don't feel any rage, budding racism, or overwhelming sense of personal failure

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Uh.. it's not. It's a TPS. Not a MOBA.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
A MOBA, regardless of the literal meaning of the acronym has taken on a deeper meaning then just a multiplayer battle arena online game. When you say "MOBA" you know what people are talking about, DOTA 2, LoL, Smite etc. etc. The definition isn't broad, because the acronym isn't the actual definition.

Also, this guy is... well as he said "bonkers". He made really only 2 serious points and they both kind of sucked.

1) Map control is always a key factor in every shooter ever. Yea, that concept isn't exclusively MOBA-owned lol.
2) The other one was "knowing when to push when to hold back, when to help teammates...." etc. And once again.... every shooter ever requires this as well.

Flakk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Magolorthegreat
Alright my plan of making the ultimate squad of Team Splat Masters is already falling into place. Good luck if you're going to the top splat zone.

But seriously it isn't a moba

Kweeveen

Inkster Jr.
I just thought it was a fun video about Splatoon that explained the game-play/mechanics in an interesting, different way for people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom