Splatoon Ladder Proposal (Turf War)

Do you envision yourself partaking in this ladder?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Edit: Splat Ladder is now up! Click here for the page.

Greetings fellow squids,

Over the past few days, I was pondering at the thought of there being a Splatoon Ladder system (in Turf War), similar to that of Anther's Ladder. Unlike the numerous team based leagues planned thus far, this would focus on individual rankings instead. On a set and regular basis, once custom room lobbies are released , 8 players would form a room and battle each other for the highest score using a preliminary formula I've devised (this is subject to change, your feedback would be appreciated): turf inked + kills(100). This would go on for 8-12 or so games to decide who the victor is of that session. Your overall ranking for the ladder (again, your feed back is most appreciated) would be your accumulated score (over the course of many games and sessions) divided by the amount of games you've played (ending up with your average score for a game). To prevent players from quitting while they're at the top of the ladder, a certain amount of their score will be deducted for every so often they don't play (I'm thinking a month; your feedback is welcomed). The scores for each session and rankings would be kept on a Google Docs documents for everyone to see at ease (I've already started working on one)(Is it possible for other people to edit it?).

I'm willing to run a battle system of this sorts, however my academics and athletics take top priority so i can't promise I'll be able to do this forever. Assistance from a few board members would be great!

I envision that a ladder like this would be great for players who want a quick means of competitive play without the intimidation of joining a team and such. However, my opinion is irrelevant; your stance is what really matters! Do you see this ladder working? Would it be fun? Do you have any improvements for it? Would you want to help? I would be ecstatic if you reply to me in the comments with your thoughts!

Thanks,
GameGalaxy64

Last edited:

Squadaloo

Full Squid
NNID
RodRodney
I have no plans to play competitively so maybe some will disagree, but I think the problem with this is that Turf Wars is still a team mode, and sometimes the situation calls for you to do things to help your team that are hard to quantify especially with your scoring system. For example, let's say my team basically stomps the enemy team for most of a Turf War. In that situation, I tend to stay back and foil any attempts to flank. This means I'm not ranking up as many kills and likely not painting as much as the rest of the team, but if I were to stop doing that, as we all know sometimes all it takes is one good maneuver to wipe out the winning team and thus completely flip a Turf War.

There's also scenarios in which you could intentionally sabotage a teammate to gain points. Let's say an Aerospray user is spraying everything in site and racking up points. There's an enemy on his tail now and a friendly sniper sees this. The sniper may be inclined to wait until the Aerospray user is dead before taking the shot if the Aerospray user is ahead in the individual rankings so the Aerospray user can stop gaining points. Basically, such a scoring system may encourage bad tactics to rack up points.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
I have no plans to play competitively so maybe some will disagree, but I think the problem with this is that Turf Wars is still a team mode, and sometimes the situation calls for you to do things to help your team that are hard to quantify especially with your scoring system. For example, let's say my team basically stomps the enemy team for most of a Turf War. In that situation, I tend to stay back and foil any attempts to flank. This means I'm not ranking up as many kills and likely not painting as much as the rest of the team, but if I were to stop doing that, as we all know sometimes all it takes is one good maneuver to wipe out the winning team and thus completely flip a Turf War.

There's also scenarios in which you could intentionally sabotage a teammate to gain points. Let's say an Aerospray user is spraying everything in site and racking up points. There's an enemy on his tail now and a friendly sniper sees this. The sniper may be inclined to wait until the Aerospray user is dead before taking the shot if the Aerospray user is ahead in the individual rankings so the Aerospray user can stop gaining points. Basically, such a scoring system may encourage bad tactics to rack up points.
Thanks for the post. I see your point in regards to sabotaging. My hope is that the sniper in this case would acknowledge that he or she would have a better chance of acquiring the 300 point bonus with the aerospray user having every opportunity to contribute to the team while he or she is alive rather than dead. But this isn't always the case. It'll have to be something I put into consideration when I revise the scoring equation.
The point you raise about planking is also a tricky one. Sorry about that. Do you have any ideas in regards to how to fix these problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom