Splatoon: Octobrush Gear Advice?

RawSquid

Inkling
Hey, uhh this is my first post so :P Anyways I actually happen to play splatoon and I have been searching for a while for octobrush gear sets. The octobrush is my favourite weapon out of all the weapons in the game. I'm a level 19 and almost level 20, I normally play ranked battles now instead of turf wars and I haven't got a gear set yet for the octobrush but I'm building one right now. The gear set I'm going for is:
Head: Noise Cancellers
Main Ability: Quick Respawn
Sub Ability: Quick Respawn
Sub Ability: Special Charge Up
Sub Ability: Special Charge Up
Top: Varsity Jacket
Main Ability: Damage Up
Sub Ability: Damage Up
Shoes: Red Hi-Tops
Main Ability: Ink Resistance Up
Sub Ability: Swim Speed Up
Sub Ability: Swim Speed
(I don't have this set right now but I'm planning on getting it) please comment because I want to know if this is a good set before I order or buy any gear and this is for the octobrush not for nouveau. Critisism appreciated! :P

Magnus0

Pro Squid
Personally, I use the octobrush as an offensive support weapon. Before I have my kraken, I focus on placing Beakons and covering as much ground as I can. When I get my special, I play more aggressively, because I can use the kraken if I get in trouble. My set reflects this:

:head_hdp001::ability_inksaversub:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: or :head_met002::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_tes014::ability_quicksuperjump:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_shi004::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :shoes_slo003::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

The ink saver main and ink recovery main help with placing beakons all around the map to support my team. The special charge up and special duration are generally good abilities for the kraken. Quick super jump is to get around real fast with beakons. I also like to have some swim speed up to get around faster and to make he kraken more dangerous.

RawSquid

Inkling
T
Personally, I use the octobrush as an offensive support weapon. Before I have my kraken, I focus on placing Beakons and covering as much ground as I can. When I get my special, I play more aggressively, because I can use the kraken if I get in trouble. My set reflects this:

:head_hdp001::ability_inksaversub:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: or :head_met002::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_tes014::ability_quicksuperjump:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_shi004::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :shoes_slo003::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

The ink saver main and ink recovery main help with placing beakons all around the map to support my team. The special charge up and special duration are generally good abilities for the kraken. Quick super jump is to get around real fast with beakons. I also like to have some swim speed up to get around faster and to make he kraken more dangerous.
Thanks Magnus! :P hmm in my opinion I like having damage ups so I can get faster and more consistent kills and my fingers seem to get tired from rapidly tapping ZR so I like to use damage up so I don't have to tap ZR so much. I'm not really a fan of quick super jump, ink saver main, ink recovery up or special duration up. I don't place beacons a lot so quick super jump wouldn't really do anything for me. Anyways thanks for Magnus for commenting!

fuchsia

Full Squid
NNID
fuchsiaplays
it sounds like my set wouldn't work for you based on what you don't like, but that's why lots of people have different setups for the same weapons. mine currently looks like this:

straw boater :ability_specialduration: :ability_quickrespawn::ability_inkrecovery::ability_quickrespawn:
:clothes_tes018: :ability_specialduration::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub:
rain boots :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery::ability_defenseup:

hmm... most of my gear don't have icons... i guess they're not very popular lol. anyway, the straw boater needs to be rerolled because i'm not 100% happy with the quick respawn, but i don't know what i want in its place so i'm just using it at the moment until i get more snails, and it's working. ink conservation is a big problem with me so i run ink saver/recovery on pretty much everything except chargers. one ink saver sub lets me place a beacon and still have some ink leftover, maybe 2 subs would be better but with ink recovery, it's not a huge deal. [in the higher ranks, beacons really help the team so i'm constantly placing them.] two special duration ups tend to outlast all the other krakens, plus coupled with swim speed up is pretty deadly!

RawSquid

Inkling
Thanks fuchsia :P I kinda like your set but your right it's not really for me xD But yeah anyways right now I have been testing some new abilities and I have like been searching 24/7 for tips on gear but yeah anyways I am thinking of using a new set:
Splatoon Gear Combinations:
Weapon: Octobrush

Sub Weapon: Squid Beacon

Special: Kraken

Gear:

Head: None (Still Thinking)
Main Ability: None (Still Thinking)
Sub Ability: Ink Saver Main

Top: Navy Striped LS

Shoes: Plum Casuals
I don't really place beacons much because I normally forget. Special duration uhhhh :/ not really for me, mostly I am never able to get my kraken and normally I get like one kill so yeah quick respawn is a good idea for getting back to help my teammates or get back to my beacons so I will try that but ink recovery up, defense up and ink saver sub aren't really my thing because to me they don't do much. Defense up just idk never really used it, ink recovery up is good but I don't think I will need it since I normally don't spread as much and because of my damage up I can get faster kills and I don't have to run off and refill and special duration up (I normally die before I can even use it xD). Btw I do happen to be level 20 SOOO YAY! Anyways thanks fuchsia I really appreciate you commenting :D

Bleeze

Inkling
NNID
BleezeFreeze
Your new set looks pretty good. Ink saver main seems like a must and damage up can help you get two hit splats if you're spaced right. Swim speed up is great for mobility and it helps the kraken a lot. Special charge up might be a good pick for your last slot so you can get krakens quickly.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
agreed with the ink saver - the octobrush is pretty heavy on ink consumption and you want to avoid getting stuck without ink in the middle of a battle if you can <:3

my current build is this, but i've been playing with it a lot <:3 (pardon the blank spaces, i can't check my gear right now)

Studio Headphones - :ability_inksavermain: | :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain:

Tako Tee - :ability_haunt: | :ability_damage::ability_damage: ?

Icy Down Boots - :ability_stealthjump:| :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

(the tako tee is a reward you get at level 45, so you'd have to choose something else)

now haunt is a personal preference, i just like it (and the tako tee, matches the octobrush hehe) so you could also go with... pretty much anything. ninja squid is good if you use the nouveau, if not, probably damage up or some kind of swim speed?

stealth jump, i like to superjump and it's kind of a must for my playstyle. but again you could replace it, you could give yourself ink recovery shoes and have damage up/swim speed headgear, or something entirely different! don't bother with ink resistance, the latest patch has freed us from the shackles of getting stuck in our own ink!

feel free to play around, and don't worry about not having triples, you can mix and match doubles and everything like that, you aren't restricted to one piece of gear!

here's another build i use, just incase -

Special Forces Beret - :ability_openinggambit: | :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: (i am usually first on the tower, in the zones, etc, so opening gambit is good for me)
White Sailor Suit - :ability_inksavermain: | :ability_inksavermain::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration: (working on this one)

Icy Down Boots - :ability_stealthjump: | :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

EDIT; BY THE WAY, since you talked about your fingers hurting when playing octobrush, fatigue is a pretty big part of it. you can counter it a bit by pressing with the inside of your knuckle, rather than the tips of your fingers. rest your whole finger over the trigger, with the bit under your knuckle in the middle of it, and press that way ;v; should help ease the pain a little bit (this is coming from someone with chronic pain so hehe)

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
My set for the brushes: (keep in mind i mainly use the nouveau. but this set does work for the vanilla octo too)
:head_cap011::ability_specialsaver:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_jkt003::ability_damage:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
:shoes_cfs001::ability_damage:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

I use 2 damage up mains as it means i can almost always get a 2 slap kill. The special saver is because as a close range weapon you're gonna trade alot and with the light reduction on the brushes it means you lose hardly any special. The swim speed is great for kraken and mobility.

Hope I helped

G

girigiriHERO

I've used the Vanilla Octobrush a lot and I use the same gear in my profile, basically breaks down to 19 points of Damage Up and 38 points of Swim Speed Up, works wonders. I place Beakons EVERYWHERE, I almost always have 3 on the map simultaneously on enemy turf because the Swim Speed allows me to get there fast (and it drives the other team crazy because they are always breaking them and I'm waiting). In Turf War I'll average about 3 kills per death due to the Damage Up so it's not a big deal to have Quick Respawn and because of the Beakons I can safely jump back to them most of the time.

Everyone's playstyle is different, I changed to the Inkbrush because I got a bit restless using the Octobrush all the time.

ace》JR

Inkling
I main the octobrush in S rank and I personally run

Samurai Helmet
Main: damage up
Subs: all squid jump

Rockenberg Black:
Subs: 2 squid jumps, 1 run speed

Plum Casuals:
Subs: squid jump, damge up, swim speed

Note: I like this set personally because I use the vanilla octobrush very offensively so the excessive damage up is necessary for me. The squid jump let's get to my beacons faster and the one run speed and swim speed give an additional quickness factor.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Here's mine for all 3 modes:

:head_msk000: :ability_tenacity::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: : To last longer as Kraken (specially to get up on Tower Control), and Tenacity to control my anxiety. Filling special bar helps me stay calm as my team members are dying instead jumping into lose-lose situations.
[Squidstar Waistcoat] :ability_coldblooded::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: : To remain hidden as possible, to swim faster as squid and Kraken. This swim+ helps a lot to run away.
:shoes_shi004:: :ability_inkrecovery::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: : I place as many beakons as possible and cover area with ink, so for me recovering a bit faster fits. Plus more swim speed.

Any suggestions for me too? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom