Splatoon service is not stopping?!

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
We all thought that Callie vs Marie symbolised end of support for Splatoon, well apparently not.

Splatoon’s final Splatfest will be happening on July 22nd, though fans need not worry about the future of the Wii U shooter’s online gameplay. Nintendo recently told Kotaku about the matter, saying that Splatoon’s “general online experience and service will continue.”

Splatoon’s final Splatfest will be a worldwide event beginning on July 22nd and will last for two days, and players will have to choose which of the two Squid Sisters they prefer. You can check out more details on the Splatfest in this earlier report.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/0...ce-service-will-continue/#MDSlrIXjw3d8s9mr.99

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
No serious person thought Splatoon would just all-of-a-sudden end right after July 2016.

So that isn't new information and is just Kotaku trying to get clicks. As usual.
But a few people seem convinced that service will end for some reason. I suppose it's a legit thing to write an article on in that matter.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
"No serious person"

Do we need an article every week or so saying the sky isn't falling?
Shrugs.
I'm just saying that it may be easy for someone to think that service would discontinue if Nintendo's moving onto the NX soon. It'll have that to focus on, anyways, and may lose support for the Wii U like it did the Wii at some point. Certainly not right away, but most likely at some point.

They discontinued service for a lot of old consoles after all when a "replacement" console comes out.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Certainly not right away, but most likely at some point.

They discontinued service for a lot of old consoles after all when a "replacement" console comes out.
And here is where Kotaku's article is useless information.

Read Nintendo's statement:
“general online experience and service will continue.”

All that means is that it won't happen right away, but there is nothing to be said about that some point.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!

All that means is that it won't happen right away, but there is nothing to be said about that some point.
I also said I wasn't expecting it to go away right off the bat. I said that it might happen eventually because of the fact that Nintendo cuts support for it's consoles after a certain amount of time. That is all.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I also said I wasn't expecting it to go away right off the bat. I said that it might happen eventually because of the fact that Nintendo cuts support for it's consoles after a certain amount of time. That is all.
I know. That's my point.

You held that common-sense belief, already, without needing to hear it from Kotaku's reporting.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
No serious person thought Splatoon would just all-of-a-sudden end right after July 2016.

So that isn't new information and is just Kotaku trying to get clicks. As usual.
It was easy to believe with the amount of threats Nintendo made towards it frankly I believed they wouldn't stop but it did seem very likely

Just to be clear the article was made for those who did actually believe it was stopping if you didn't fine but don't go trashing articles because of it

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
There's a difference between "stopping" and "ending support." Will the game continue to work? Of course, although we have no way of knowing for how long. The P2P mechanic currently used is really light on Nintendo's servers, so they have no reason to discontinue support entirely, ever, but then they also have no good reason to be deleting Mario Maker levels, so who knows?

What's in question is whether they'll replace Splatfest with any kind of "active" player engagement, whether there will be new balance patches, and whether there will be any new content (gear and weapons). These things are big unknowns right now.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
There's a difference between "stopping" and "ending support." Will the game continue to work? Of course, although we have no way of knowing for how long. The P2P mechanic currently used is really light on Nintendo's servers, so they have no reason to discontinue support entirely, ever, but then they also have no good reason to be deleting Mario Maker levels, so who knows?

What's in question is whether they'll replace Splatfest with any kind of "active" player engagement, whether there will be new balance patches, and whether there will be any new content (gear and weapons). These things are big unknowns right now.
Ye when they said service I think they meant they will release a patch every now and then but so far there's nothing to confirm content

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
No worries, it's not going to happen this early. The Wii and DS still had something over 7 years of online functionality, and it'd probably be longer if Glu didn't pull the plug on Gamespy. The Wii U has only been out since 2012, there's no way they are going to stop it anywhere near soon.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
*gasp* a Gawker Media owned website is writing dramatic articles to lure clicks? UNACCEPTABLE!

Nintendo's made a disturbing hard turn to abandon the WiiU in every single possible capacity as absolutely fast as possible. It's fairly unprecedented since the Sega 32x. However, I do believe they'll still have some balance updates as needed. Nothing major, no new gear (officially new gear/weps ended in Jan, then they continued it for the 2 sheldon's packs they already released.) NO OCTOLINGS :P

But I imagine a small handful of balance updates, and I imagine the servers will continue as normal at least until May at a minimum. They're still selling Splatoon bundles through the Holiday including a pretty new bundle in Japan in the last month or two. They don't want to pull servers just after kids get a WiiU in December...that would tarnish the brand pretty bad. They'd keep it up through NX launch I'm sure to ensure an even transition. I could see them ending in May at the 2yr anniversary of Splatoon, but I could also see them extending it to Jan 1 2018.

Reactions: blu

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Mario Kart Wii had a total of about 6 years
No worries, it's not going to happen this early. The Wii and DS still had something over 7 years of online functionality, and it'd probably be longer if Glu didn't pull the plug on Gamespy. The Wii U has only been out since 2012, there's no way they are going to stop it anywhere near soon.
And to add to this point, the Mario Kart Wii game's server lasted about 6 years in the nintendo WFC. Splatoon's servers will most likely last about 4-5 years.

*gasp* a Gawker Media owned website is writing dramatic articles to lure clicks? UNACCEPTABLE!

Nintendo's made a disturbing hard turn to abandon the WiiU in every single possible capacity as absolutely fast as possible. It's fairly unprecedented since the Sega 32x. However, I do believe they'll still have some balance updates as needed. Nothing major, no new gear (officially new gear/weps ended in Jan, then they continued it for the 2 sheldon's packs they already released.) NO OCTOLINGS :p

But I imagine a small handful of balance updates, and I imagine the servers will continue as normal at least until May at a minimum. They're still selling Splatoon bundles through the Holiday including a pretty new bundle in Japan in the last month or two. They don't want to pull servers just after kids get a WiiU in December...that would tarnish the brand pretty bad. They'd keep it up through NX launch I'm sure to ensure an even transition. I could see them ending in May at the 2yr anniversary of Splatoon, but I could also see them extending it to Jan 1 2018.
Well the last mario kart game just so happened to be put down as soon as Mario Kart 8 came out, so I imagine it will happen in a similar manner. As Soon as Spla2n arrives the game's days will be numbered.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Well the last mario kart game just so happened to be put down as soon as Mario Kart 8 came out, so I imagine it will happen in a similar manner. As Soon as Spla2n arrives the game's days will be numbered.
I honestly hope it at least comes out for both NX and Wii U, bc I probably wont have the money for the NX right away...

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I honestly hope it at least comes out for both NX and Wii U, bc I probably wont have the money for the NX right away...

It'll be interesting if they do re-release splatoon 1 on NX, but its unlikely since they would probably want players to move on to the sequel and drive sales for the new platform. It will be a pleasant surprise considering it will further delay users from migrating to the inevitable sequel. Its entirely impossible since NX is supposedly based on similar hardware as Wii U, and it will allow such a release to be more possible than if the NX was radically different on a hardware level.

I can sympathize since I too won't be able to purchase new hardware in the immediate future. From that perspective I hope splatoon's online last at least a few more years.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Given the almost complete and official drop of support in WiiU, and I believe Kimishima's own statements in the past few weeks that there will be no additional support for WiiU (referring to new titles etc) I think it's a given that it would be NX-only. The only reason BotW is on both is because it was originally meant for WiiU and they promised it would be during WiiU's launch. Not to mention Splatoon is very popular especially in Japan, no reason for them to not use it as a carrot on the stick to NX as they used SMW and SM64 for those platforms respectively. WiiU didn't have a big carrot on a stick because Iwata was a big 'ol softie and actually believed Western 3rd parties when they said that they would support the system at launch if they didn't have to compete against a big Nintendo 1st party title.

I think it's safe to say WiiU is getting Paper Mario: Color Splash, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and then it's done. (Plus some big third party stuff, like Bloodstained, Yooka-Laylee, etc, both of which should be retail products.)

@blu Yeah I agree, I'd considered the idea of a Splatoon 1 port to NX, but I don't see it happening, UNLESS the hybrid feature is real and is the main draw and they're not ready to move to Splatoon 2. Putting a popular (in Japan) online shooter on a handheld for the first time and have an automatic player base could have advantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom