• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

splatoon starting to suck

heydo6

Inkling
more new weapons with kraken , i hate when i get the jump on someone only for them to turn into a kraken and kill me . it was bad enough with cheap rollers that don't even have to aim to get a kill . more and more i am getting bored with this game . adding more rollers and more krakens just made it worse for me . i don't know how many times i avoid a kraken only to die any ways . i don't mind battling with them normally but when you shoot someone and they hit there special to avoid dieing seems pretty cheap . it was bad enough before with snipers and rollers but now every one has a kraken . i am already looking for a new game to play in my spare time . i really like the shooter style of this game but all the cheap specials are getting old fast .

spent the last 4-5 months leveling to 50 s rank and collecting gear . now they roll out even more cheap stuff , getting so old .

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
I'm sorry you feel this way but none of the new weapons are overpowered or cheap. Kraken is a difficult special to even get splats with (at least at higher level play) because it's easy to run away if you notice it and if you have a high fire-rate weapon you can even push it back.
At this point you have a choice "do I stop complaining and git gud or should I say it's unfair and quit playing?" Do what makes you most comfortable but please realize it is not the game's fault for your unhappiness but rather how you view the game "should be" that is causing your frustration. Do what makes you happy and others will still continue enjoying splatoon in their own way. :)

UnChosen

Inkster Jr.
The Inkbrush and the Aerospray are the only two weapons that have a huge problem dealing with the Kraken, mostly because they are so short ranged/weak you are forced to go right up to them to splat, leaving absolutely no time to attempt to run or push back if they activate Kraken (or Bubbler). This is especially true if they are lagging so the moment you hear the activation noise it is already too late. So if you use those two weapons then I kind of agree that the Kraken is kind of unfair.

For everything else there is always time to run, push it back, or kill so quickly they won't have time to activate Kraken.

Last edited:

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
You got to S rank but you think Kraken is cheap? lolol. At this rank I'd think lag would be a bigger issue.

You can see if the opponent has a special if their character is glowing. I back the f up if I see that.

Also, at the beginning you can see if the opponent weapons have Krakens, so it shouldn't always come as a big shocker. The moment I hear the ding I start swimming away or firing at that monster to make him back up. Sometimes I mess up but most times the Kraken just runs away pathetically, unable to do anything. In fact once he returns to squid form he's usually dead meat if he pushed too far. Basically a waste lol.

It is unfortunate when your team gets Kraken wiped from behind (even I get a bit salty when this happens), but these things are certainly avoidable. Watching out for flanks is critical in high level play. Also, once you see a Kraken you can have your own bubble ready, or heck, you can even just use your own Kraken and unleash it right after his. Not many people run SDU so he's likely to run away.

The new aero meme is honestly crap imo (except in turf wars), and though the new nzap is pretty good I have not seen a lot of people (if any) dominate with this thing.

Finally, a new tactic I've been using is to kill before they have time to charge their special. Not everyone inks random turf to build their special so if you pick them off quickly they won't even have enough special to unleash it. Stealth Jump Krakens are kinda annoying but if you've seen once during the match you shouldn't fall for it anymore, it's just a "works once in a while" gimmick.

So basically no I don't think Kraken is too cheap as of right now. Laggy dynamos > kraken. Laggy krakens can be kinda bad too though I have to admit. You have to give lots of extra space in those cases.

Last edited:

heydo6

Inkling
i am sure the lag kills me just as much as the kraken . it wasn't so bad when there was a kraken here or there but now there's to many . i am sure there is room for improvement in my game but i do very well . i like to run and gun so when some cheap special or dyno kills me when i am half way around them already i get , not happy . i can see how a kraken would get a sniper or roller out of a tight spot but do we really need them on PG and 83 ? i just think its getting worse not better and i don't think i will be the only one who thinks this !!!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Considering the existence of 96 Gal Deco, even post-nerf, I really don't see the PG or 83 as any cause for alarm. Aerospray is still an Aerospray. N-Zap, however, is a fierce contender for impacting the metagame in a real way, but that's a good thing. It diversifies the pool. Krakens are not a serious threat, nor do I feel they are particularly rampant to a degree that makes the game un-fun. In fact, you're more likely to be picked off by a surprise Inkzooka out of nowhere than a Kraken if you're an aware player.

What specials would you like to see more of? Surely not bomb rushes or ink strikes or something.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
Yeah I feel like once you get to S+ the only specials that could be considered a real issue are inkzooka and bomb rush because they're the ones you just can't do anything about.

I think Inkzooka is actually the most deadly really because if you wipe the other team and charge it, you can stop them from advancing without even needing to get close. That's pretty brutal. That's also why more bomb rushes would be terrible. Same goes for if the enemy are about to take the lead. You can be ages away with an inkzooka and just splat 2 or three of them quite easily without much risk to yourself.

Whereas others - there's more choice in dealing with them. You can swim away, you can hide and then splat a krakener or bubblerer when it wears off, you can kamikaze if necessary.

Often when I'm being chased by a Kraken and know I'm doomed, I lock aim on one of its teammates and try and take them down with me.

Inkzooka and bomb rush, you can't do anything but take cover or retreat.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It makes sense for the Kraken to be on mid to short range weapons anyway, since they're already going to be in prime position to use it just from attacking as usual.

Likewise, if you're the run and gun type you're most likely to be up close and personal with these opponents. Either take them out first or acknowledge the fact that you gotta be ready to dodge. Krakens can be a threat, but like others have said there's usually bigger concerns.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
It all honesty.... This largely sounds like you're having trouble dealing with certain weapons and specials. Instead of learning how to deal with them, you're blaming it entirely on the weapons and specials by calling them "cheap". The Kraken - especially on short range weapons - isn't cheap. It's actually very helpful. The Aerospray PG is very much like the Permanent Inkbrush. They are both weapons who can build the special incredibly fast - but they lack range and power. Their power lies within the Kraken. The Kraken helps them escape in long range fights or close the distance needed to kill. It helps short range weapons by making up for the lack of range. It's hardly cheap. Even on a long range like the E-Liter, it's hardly cheap because that's about the only defense a Custom E-Liter has in close range combat.

Try to pay attention in battles. When the match starts, you can see the weapons your opponents are using. So you'll be able to know who has a Kraken and who doesn't. Even if you can't remember, you can see your opponent's head glowing. So you know their special is ready. A player should always express caution around an opponent who has their special ready because it could be anything. It's not cheap nor their fault if someone failed to be cautious and charged head first. It's the player's responsibility if they're just running and charging into battles head first without looking or knowing how to repel Krakens.

There are many ways to combat Krakens. Repelling them, running, hiding, circling. The list can go on. Krakens can be dealt with if we learn how to deal with them but they're not inherently cheap.

G

girigiriHERO

I think it just sounds like you are burnt out Splatoon and this is just a convenient reason to pin it on. Not saying it's entirely a lie, but maybe 50% burnt out, 50% Krakens. Once I hit S for the first time I got sick and tired of seeing the same weapons and the same equipment, I was completely burnt out myself and I blamed the meta. After taking a good week or so break from the game and coming back, I started to use weapons I liked and was familiar with, but didn't use too often (at the time, the Tri-Slosher) and everything felt fresh and enjoyable. I realized it didn't matter what anyone else used as long as I can find a way to counter that, and maybe you can use that same advice. Kraken is by no means invincible, use a Splattershot Pro and even if they use Kraken you'll be so far away it doesn't matter. I'm a brush user, but I run a LOT of Swim Speed, so even if a Kraken activates near me, I have enough speed to ink, submerge, ink, submerge, and get away because typically a Kraken isn't running 38 points worth of Swim Speed Up.

Take a break, come back and try something new, you might find you're really good with a weapon you never knew and you'll take out those Krakens with it no problem.

UnChosen

Inkster Jr.
I'm a brush user, but I run a LOT of Swim Speed, so even if a Kraken activates near me, I have enough speed to ink, submerge, ink, submerge, and get away because typically a Kraken isn't running 38 points worth of Swim Speed Up.
Inkbrush or Octobrush? In my experience Octobrush has slightly more leeway compared to the Inkbrush because it does more damage, so I can keep a slight distance away and still splat.

When I play Inkbrush it is pretty much a requirement to do a flying leap at my target when attacking, otherwise they can just take 2 steps back and escape. It always leads to instant death against Kraken users because they just activate it while I am practically on top of them.

G

girigiriHERO

Inkbrush or Octobrush? In my experience Octobrush has slightly more leeway compared to the Inkbrush because it does more damage, so I can keep a slight distance away and still splat.

When I play Inkbrush it is pretty much a requirement to do a flying leap at my target when attacking, otherwise they can just take 2 steps back and escape. It always leads to instant death against Kraken users because they just activate it while I am practically on top of them.
I primarily used the Octobrush for so long, but I'm starting to use the Inkbrush more often as it's enjoyable even with it's flaws.

Recently though, having used the Inkbrush I've been fairly good at escaping Krakens. I never jump at my opponents, so that could be why, it gives me the time to turn around and not commit to anything.

Although with the Inkbrush it's ALWAYS running, I've never managed to fend it off like I have before with the Octobrush.

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
I see tons of krakens in ranked but it's okay. I either have to learn how to use the kraken myself or make sure I recognize the weapons that have them and steer clear when they are flaming.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
That's just right now because more popular weapons have received Krakens. It's definitely a bit annoying but considering that even the new Aersospray charged it up a lot slower than we'd think, it's pretty limited. You'll also get used to dealing with Kraken through that and adapt. Dealing with Krakens is also surprisingly fun, though of course "fun" is purely subjective.

I do however understand if there is a weapon you cannot stand, despite there being no overpowered weapons in this game. I have one too, which is the Range Blaster, with which sessions are filled lately. I don't want to say I'm salty.... but oh man, I am salty as hell when there are three Range Blasters hopping around in the enemy team. It has gotten so bad that I will in fact take a few days off Splatoon (at least off Turf War) until the trend has cooled down. Although this would be a beneficial experience for me to adapt better to them. But if a weapon is not fun to deal with, which I think of no other weapon except for those Blasters, I lack the motivation, and if you feel the exact same about Krakens, I can understand if it's not fun to you.

men0etius

Inkling
The complaint I have about the kraken is that it is so quiet. I would like it to cause a roaring sound that gets louder as it approaches. I play with the JR so I am up close and I do sometimes get frustrated about not getting a kill when I come up behind someone and hit them three times. Still even from that range I can usually swim in a large circle and laugh while the kraken attempts to get me.

Just get better at understanding the range it can hit you and its inability to properly corner and watch for it to go into its death spin as that's when it takes the most bounce back. If you have a teammate in the area who is watching it is very easy for two people to hold a kraken in place. If they are lagging it's just one free kill which is less than a dynamo user.

I prefer my bubbler over the kraken anyway. There is nothing better than all of my teammates being clumped together for some terrible reason which causes me to activate my bubbler. The enemy team just has to run and give up map control.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
As far as rollers go, I really don't think there's much to complain about. For starters, there's not really that many rollers in the game-There's 97 weapons total in the game (not counting reskins and counting scopes) and there are only 8 rollers-That's not even 10%. The two new rollers just added were added in with a ton of other weapons, too, it's not like we're just being flooded with rollers.

And even though they don't require as much aiming (though they still do need some aiming), it's not like they don't have their own weaknesses, too-They usually have much shorter range, and the Dynamos have a harder time moving to counter their range. They're not "cheap" weapons, they're just a different playstyle, and I'm kind of surprised you got to S and level 50 without figuring out any good counters.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Is it me or is the sheer speed of carbon rollers alot faster than before when it comes to close quarters flick splats. I swear its like I don't even see them, and I'm a goner, like, blink and your dead, splats. Sometimes you don't even see it coming... :(

G

girigiriHERO

Is it me or is the sheer speed of carbon rollers alot faster than before when it comes to close quarters flick splats. I swear its like I don't even see them, and I'm a goner, like, blink and your dead, splats. Sometimes you don't even see it coming... :(
usually you don't because they play hide and seek, but that doesn't bother me because it's typically one less person to deal with while they are waiting

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom