Splatoon Team Synergy/Map movement Guide (Git Gud Squid)

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
WORK IN PROGRESS BUT THIS TIME I WILL FINISH IT

Those of you that looked at my post about Movement theories, I am sorry that i couldn't finish my thoughts on that. The computer I was working on crashed and I didn't have another chance to hop on a computer until now.

BUT THAT WAS THEN, AND THIS IS NOW.

So, you wanna get good at Splatoon? well, let this scrub teach you just how to become a top tier scrub. FIRST AND FOREMOST I WANT YOU TO ACTUALLY TRY PLAYING THIS GAME. By that I mean actually thinking about what you're doing, and what your game plan/general strategy is when playing a certain mode(in this case it would be Ranked/Squads). How do you normally approach your game's goals? Are you aggressive or supportive? In between? there is a place for you in someone's team, and trust me when I say, you will play inherently better when you're on a team in which you know your strengths and weaknesses.

"BUT SEMPIE, I KNOW MY PLAYSTYLE, I JUST WANNA PLAY BETTER AND TRY OUT SOMETHING THAT WILL HELP ME IN THE LONG RUN."

Filling a space in a team is the first step. figure out what you're good at, and really practice that. You need to find squids who can help you out on the Splattlefield, and that you too can lean on. Relying on each other is a key part of Teamwork. Figure out each other's playstyles so that you know how exactly you can help your fellow Squids out. Practice runs of the maps you need to work on. Grind out your strategies for the maps you are all good at. Figure out counter tactics for when you get backed into a corner. Doing this with all of your team mates helps you think like they would. Get creative.

Okay, that's obvious. Is it really necessary though? Put simply, yes.

Okay. now the hard part. Balancing. I am the scrub here, so come at me with all of the ideas you have for team balancing, but I will give you the gist of it. You basically want to cover every required field of the map selection, mode, and playstyle, so choices are limited, but still deep because of how many choices you actually have.

In this case I will give you my usual team weapons and roles:

One person on a short range weapon, usually a SplattershotJr, or Luna blaster.
Two people on Heavy weaponry/Midrange weapons, usually a Roller, Splattershot weapon, or Blaster not named Luna Blaster.
And finally one person on the Long range Keep away type weapons. usually a .96 Gal, Splatling, Charger, or Squelcher.

The combinations are seemingly ENDLESS. Let's move on to maps!

Later on I will try to post photos of each map I talk about. And for now, lets use a sample team to describe my style of basic movement and placement.

Heavy: Splattling/Roller/Blaster/.96 gal weapon
Support 1: SplatterJr./Splattershot/Slosher weapon
Support 2: Splattershot/Gal/Squelcher weapon
Sneaky Not So Sneaky(SNSS): Charger or a Echolocator/Kraken weapon.

Saltspray Rig:

Zones:
What can I say? The seagulls annoy me. Mid is very easy to defend, and, with a little cooperation and cunning, easy to take control of. In Zones you should always try to distract those that move forward and turn right/left as apposed to taking the "back door" that is the tower like wall structures on the side of Mid (the zones area). Leave your Heavy there to have fun splatting the lackeys not going through the back door. Have Support 1 take point and charge Mid by means of your own choice. Mixing up your approaches can really help in the beginning. Support 2 will always be behind or in front of Heavy(deplete ink, and switch to recharge). These along with your charger in some cases should be getting the most Kills on average. You could even have support 2 attempt to flank the opposing team for an attempt to double your advantage. When you take control of Mid with Support 1/2 and SNSS, put SNSS on top of Mid's only wall structure in the middle of the Zone. Start patrolling the zone by covering all entrances, one to two entrances per squid, and be cautious of the space right outside of the Zone where your Heavy will be "Shoosting first and asking questions later." The elevators should be checked frequently and covered up in your teams ink while defending. Follow the correct safety procedures when in combat with an enemy squid, and you should be able to win this map over pretty easily. Just remember to COVER ALL THE ENTRYWAYS. Looking up a wall every 10-15 seconds shouldn't be very hard to do.

What do you do if they have the base? Well, there are several options when doing so. Most of them are a case by case basis, but when you die, pay attention to your gamepad! When you are dead, it shows where the inkling who killed you is. Assume they have at least one person as backup.

Tower Control:
Towers are Heavy's best friend, along with SNSS. Take Mid like you would in Zones, but have Support 2 or Heavy go below, to ensure you won't be flanked from the get-go. Fast aggression until about 60 or so points left is very effective. Just be sure to cover their entryways to you with Heavy and SNSS(if using Charger/.96gal). 'Nades are your friend, as well as Splash Walls. Inkzooka/Echolocator can help get you that last stretch to a knockout.
Taking the tower(back?) from the opposing team requires a lot of cooperation, so communicate any enemy movement. Flanking is the best way to take a tower back, but it is the easiest to counter in my humble opinion.

General tips
If the opposing team has beacons in the backside of Mid, after splatting some scrubs and possibly taking the zone, let them jump, and only send 1-2 people to punish the careless play accordingly. It's always possible that they send people to jump to their doom as a decoy and sneak in from an unexpected entrance.
If they have a Sniper, try to attack it in waves, and quickly move on to the Zone. Send someone to Spot-block the sniper when they attempt to nest again atop a wall or tower.
Hard time dealing with their 'nades? Send someone to flank, and throw 'nades back. If that doesn't work Inkstrikes could solve your problem, Heavy should be able to rain down on them from below.

Walleye Warehouse

ASK ME QUESTIONS TO HELP ME WRITE THIS GUIDE! I will appreciate any questions/suggestions regarding to writing this. Also if I left something major out of this, TELL ME.

Last edited:

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I hate to be that guy, but the title is pretty garbage, which is probably why this thread has no activity,

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Well "Splatoon Competitive Guide (Git Gud Squid)" is a bit better, but it's not specific enough. You posted in the competitive discussion, so a good portion of the posts here are competitive guides. I've skimmed this post, and it looks like it's focused on team play, so how about "Team Synergy Guide" or something to specify what this post is about.

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
Well "Splatoon Competitive Guide (Git Gud Squid)" is a bit better, but it's not specific enough. You posted in the competitive discussion, so a good portion of the posts here are competitive guides. I've skimmed this post, and it looks like it's focused on team play, so how about "Team Synergy Guide" or something to specify what this post is about.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
I'll try to put my theories about some other maps this weekend. School is really busy right off the bat this year

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
I am really bad about procrastination even for fun stuff XD
DON'T WORRY THOUGH, I AM STILL WORKING ON IT

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
Procrastination has gotten the better of me. I will (hopefully) finish this at another time, but all the way complete. Sorry Squiddos

Power

Inkling Commander
This would better serve as a guide, in the guide section I believe, unless nobody checks those.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I have to admit this is a pretty good guide to teams although I would recommend using the call outs so people can get a better idea of the point you are referencing, there is a map guide on squidboards as well as, a call out guide by thatsrb2dude as well if you need a point of reference

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom