• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon World Cup? Any interest?

Average

Inkling
NNID
Shane_MK8
World Cups are/were very popular in the competitive MK8/MKWii Scene, and I think Splatoon would work perfectly for it. For those OOTL, this would be like a normal tournament, but instead of your usual club/squad/team, national squads would be made instead, and you could represent your country (some countries may or may not allow exceptions to the "represent YOUR OWN country" rule). Just looking for some feedback before I attempt to gather some people up and possibly organise it. idk where to put this since it isnt really a tournament listing. Anyway

gl

tf Average

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Ummm, we might also be taking care of that, idk. I'd have to bring it up to EndGame (we're also the people that ran the MKWC....or some of us anyways.)

So before you bust your back trying to TO a tournament, we might have you. Let's wait a while though, alright?

Average

Inkling
NNID
Shane_MK8
Ummm, we might also be taking care of that, idk. I'd have to bring it up to EndGame (we're also the people that ran the MKWC....or some of us anyways.)

So before you bust your back trying to TO a tournament, we might have you. Let's wait a while though, alright?
Sweet

jamesrcade

Senior Squid
This is something we've joked about in the NSTC discord server but I would love to see it happen.

I think there is enough for teams being formed for UK, France, Germany, Italy, Finland, Holland and Canada - for USA and Japan you have a much bigger pool to choose from so could split to east/west or something.

Probably hell to organise though.

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
This is something we've joked about in the NSTC discord server but I would love to see it happen.

I think there is enough for teams being formed for UK, France, Germany, Italy, Finland, Holland and Canada - for USA and Japan you have a much bigger pool to choose from so could split to east/west or something.

Probably hell to organise though.
Hell to organize but that pay off though. I think it would gather a lot of interest.

Stevens94

Inkling
NNID
Jakey-Stevens
I remember working very closely with Eirik starting from March of last year all the way through until the MKWC began in late June in order to organise it, and yeah the payoff was totally worth it. I can see a SWC having a lot of potential.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
How big is the Euro scene? I know it's popular in France and I've seen like 2-3 german players but that's about it.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
How big is the Euro scene? I know it's popular in France and I've seen like 2-3 german players but that's about it.
I think we could round up German and Finland teams if we tried hard enough. Also Netherlands. Maybe Australia.

BonFire

Full Squid
NNID
rollmops99
EndGameTV did a World Cup for Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 8 and it was the biggest event in 7 Years of MKWii. It was so much fun to watch and to work on it, but it is a lot of work and I don't know whether Eirik can put so much work into it. In general I really want to have a Splatoon World Cup and if we get the chance for it, I'd bet, that EndGameTV give it a shot.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
It sounds like an interesting concept, but how would we get a soccer ball in splatoon?

Darío

Inkling
Community Ambassador
NNID
Darpamo4182
Spain could participate with at least one team, maybe two. I think it's a great idea.

Charlight

Meme Spy
You'd probably have to merge a few countries, but if you're willing to put in the effort it sounds cool.

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18
Hmm, this would be an awesome honour to play for your country. However, since FiveLeafClover has now left the community, I can only think of 2 other Aussies besides myself who play competitively. Kind of disappointing, but I guess that's what happens when you live in a nation of <30 million.

On a more positive note, perhaps this could be held during Summer Break in the West. Each match run as a Bo7, double elimination set-up. It might be a good follow-up to the Inkstorm tourneys (which are now finished).

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Although I'd love to see this, there's quite a bit of trouble with making the teams.

1. A lot of teams are made up of players from different areas, which would be a clash of interests in itself.
2. The U.S. would have to be split into multiple regions for fairly obvious reasons. Which isn't too big of a problem/
3. I feel a lot of regions would be inadequately represented, if at all. Where as the west would be extremely represented.

The teams would be the toughest part to come up with honestly. However, after the teams are created, I think it'd be manageable. Though it'd be a tremendous cluster muck, and anyone who goes about being the TO for it deserves a raise lol.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Although I'd love to see this, there's quite a bit of trouble with making the teams.

1. A lot of teams are made up of players from different areas, which would be a clash of interests in itself.
2. The U.S. would have to be split into multiple regions for fairly obvious reasons. Which isn't too big of a problem/
3. I feel a lot of regions would be inadequately represented, if at all. Where as the west would be extremely represented.

The teams would be the toughest part to come up with honestly. However, after the teams are created, I think it'd be manageable. Though it'd be a tremendous cluster muck, and anyone who goes about being the TO for it deserves a raise lol.
All good points. I think we can work around them a bit though.
  1. If Mario Kart could do it, why couldn't we? I mean, it's basically the same concept.
  2. I'd only limit the US to one maybe 2 teams just so that other countries would have the ability to shine. This is a world cup, after all.
  3. Which is true, but I'm sure we could provoke enough interest to get at least a solid 8 countries.
I'm looking to bring it up to the rest of my staff soon. No promises though. Absolutely none.

(on a side note, you can go ahead and double my pay. 2 x $0 = $0 ;) )

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
All good points. I think we can work around them a bit though.
  1. If Mario Kart could do it, why couldn't we? I mean, it's basically the same concept.
Forgive me as I'm not familiar with the MKWC, but would it work the same?
I mean, let's say team "X" has 2 players from the states, one from Germany, and one from the UK, would they be working with other players they aren't completely familiar with based on their region? Or would they have to come to an agreement on what one team they would join?
I only ask because if it's the former that'd be interesting as it'd take people out of their comfort zones.

Most certainly manageable I'm sure, but quite complicated nonetheless.

Either way, looking forward to it if and when it takes off.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
I mean, let's say team "X" has 2 players from the states, one from Germany, and one from the UK, would they be working with other players they aren't completely familiar with based on their region? Or would they have to come to an agreement on what one team they would join?
I only ask because if it's the former that'd be interesting as it'd take people out of their comfort zones.

I'm not 100% certain about the MKWC, but I'm fairly certain that each player would be playing on their respective countries' teams.

Stevens94

Inkling
NNID
Jakey-Stevens

It would be region-based, yeah. National teams would comprise of the best players of their nation as you would expect; that usually gets determined by a leader figure of that nation who's well respected and/or knows what they're doing. I was the leader of Team UK for both Mario Kart Wii and MK8 in the MKWC, for example, and ultimately chose the final rosters. People outside of that nation though can be chosen to captain and select the roster, so it just depends on what's preferred. It does take people outside of their comfort zones, so to speak, but it's just the same as any other international event really, I think it's a cool way to get to know players you wouldn't necessarily associate with better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom