Splattershot/Hero Shot Replica: Analysis & Thoughts Thread

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Running two subs of damage is better than zero damage.

Now that I have access to gear editing and data mining, I've actually been experimenting with low damage builds. I'll post them when I'm on my PC.

@SupaTim what do you have on Blueberry Casuals? Your Pilot Goggles and Firefin Navy Sweat would be perfect with nat bb casuals.
I don't think I've rolled the blueberry casuals yet, but I have the cash right now. I'll give it a shot.

I look forward to those builds!

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
@SupaTim

I'm not sure why everyone was confused, but the Splattershot bullet and the indirect hitbox of a burst bomb only require two damage subs to kill combined with a direct burst bomb hit. You still will have trouble killing people when you pace your burst bombs in the traditional way, laggy people can recover health in between burst bombs by swimming, and defense up gives you trouble, but in general the 2 subs of damage is looking pretty legit. Here's what I've been messing with so far:

(Note that most of these builds are interchangeable on Splattershot, Neo Splash, Nozzlenose D, (and Carbon if there's no run speed). For the most part, I think that Burst Bomb mains should be switching between these 4 weapons, Zimi, and maybe Custom Jet depending on map, gametype, team comp, and what you know about your opponents in tournament.

With that all being said, here they are! 2-Damage sub Burst Bomb builds:

Main Slayer Neo Splash

This one seems really legit, and right up your alley tbh. All you need is 2 damage subs on a movement speed hat and the rest of the build is natural rolls. Feel free to include as much or as little run and swim speed as you want - it's all preference, and I'm sure you want swim speed :p I suspect that comeback is amazing on this too, as it helps support it's relatively aggressive playstyle compared to the standard set.

Seriously, this build is lit. Try it.

Efficiency Splattershot

First new build I tried. Really good for controlling zones in splat zones, but has trouble with defense up and not finishing kills in general, so I am trying to master using the ink damage from your burst bomb paint to chip in the extra damage needed for more consistent kills. Leaves you with ~250 damage worth of bullets in your tank after throwing 3 bombs. You can achieve something similar with Sun Visor, Firefin Navy, and a decent roll on Squidgirl Shoes, although you'l probably get like ~170 damage what way. Definitely worth trying.

Triple Bomb Range Splattershot

Pretend one of those damage subs is a sub saver. This build is nice for maps like saltspray where you REALLY want the old triple bomb range back. Again, the lack of damage really hurts the support build, but on splat zones the raw power of the new burst rush can sometimes be worth it.

Rimi...

Rimi is bad and you shouldn't play it, but at least this build was entertaining to use on noobs. Works with most of the other burst bomb guns as well.

Stealth Jump Carbon

Haven't tested this one yet, but in the Burst Bomb discord we've been hitting the lab really hard with Stealth Jump Carbon. Our current conclusion is all damage and sub saver, but this build is an attempt at fitting in swim speed with the 2 damage sub shell. This is juuust enough sub saver to get partial flick after 3 bombs that will kill max defense at point blank range, but with a bit more sub saver (not sure how much) you can get a full flick.

I hope you like these! I'll be sure to update you on my opinions on them after I've gotten more experience with them. I'll also try editing the build I suggested for you earlier and see how I like it.

- Hitzel

*Edit*

P.S.

For reference, here is my main build that I use in tournaments so that people reading this have context:

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I definitely noticed not having the damage up a few times. The ability to throw three bombs is really good though and still pressures people off perches or away from contested areas. However, there were times when I hit someone with three indirect bombs and they didn't die because not enough splash damage. That was partly my lousy aim, but also just not having some extra damage.

So, I'll definitely be trying my pilot goggles with the firefin navy sweaty and either the bb casuals or the school shoes (which rolled another damage sub, so...).

I'm interested in that efficiency build. I'll need to figure out another damage sub somewhere...

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Okay so I just want to say that after testing it in scrims today, Comeback on Neo Splash is amazing.

DillWano

Inkling
NNID
DillWano
@SupaTim I was actually running a build kinda similar to the first one you posted but I switched out bomb range for damage (it was the one that Hitzel suggested earlier in this thread). It was Camo Mesh, White Tee, and Plum Casuals. I use it when I feel like my team needs me to be more aggressive (usually for rainmaker) but I'm still testing it out

@Hitzel I never got to see it live but I checked out the stream and man was it a gamechanger to see it in action. With gear editing I was using your set up but I was wondering. Since we can change the set to have the subs be bomb range up would there be an advantage to use a main of damage up instead of 3 subs in your build?

In other words, something like this:
:head_eye005: :ability_damage:::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:
:clothes_jkt003: :ability_damage:::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:
instead of
:head_eye002: :ability_bombrange:::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:clothes_swt001::ability_bombrange:::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:

I don't know how to test it out since 6 subs is to help against people recovering health in ink (unless I am understanding it wrong)

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
@DillWano I used to think that damage mains were best, but after testing, the difference really doesn't reach any thresholds so it's best to get as much range as possible and keep the damage to subs.

By the way, after the patch, you want pure sub saver shoes with the gear you just posted.

Note that it is worth rocking 2 mains (and maybe a sub) of sub saver to get extra shots after throwing 3 bombs.

DillWano

Inkling
NNID
DillWano
@Hitzel Yeah, I figured it didn't really make much of a difference but I wasn't really sure. On that build I do have a pure sub saver shoes but now I'm probably going to change some stuff around...Or just keep the bomb range + damage up subs that have worked so well xD.

BTW thanks for all of the help!!! You've made a burst bomb main out of me =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom