Regular or Forge model?

• Total voters

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Talking Points:
  • Differences between regular model and forge model
  • Point Sensors, Inkzookas, and bears, oh my!
  • Matchups against other weapons.
  • Gear ability ideal setups.
  • Range and DPS
  • If you would change it, how?
GO!

EarlyCuyler

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5208-7719-6394
ill admit its been a while since i played but...

forge model? i assume you mean custom?

As for the special im very happy with the inkstrike, nothing more or less. In fact the new one the splash o matic ( i think) would be perfect if it had the inkstrike.

The pro is my goto weapon however, it shoots a bit slow but it has a lot of power. I'm an "assassin", and get my kicks out of splatting people which the pro seems to do very wel lbecause of alll that damage.

As for how i would change it, id like it to fire a little faster...but its pretty fine the way it is, honsetly. the splash o matic has the range and fire i would want for the pro but it doesnt have the damage so its just not the same, but its ink coverage is a lot better.

Ictoan

Full Squid
NNID
Krrrrg
I realize that it's been a week since this thread was active, but I think this weapon needs more discussion. I may be biased, as it's my current favorite.

Version differences:
I prefer the Forge model, mostly due to the sub weapon. I'm not very good at using Splat Bombs, and the Pro needs all the ink it can get, so I prefer to stick with point sensors. I am interested in what people have to say about Splat Bombs and their ink consumption, specifically when combined with the Pro. Both special options are rather good in my experience, I don't have too much of a preference there.

Matchups:
The Pro's long range and pretty quick kills at any range seem to give it rather good matchups all around. The best matchups I see are against weapons such as Aerosprays and Splat Rollers, as they struggle with your massive range advantage as long as you're positioned properly. I find that due to its massive ink consumption, however, it's best to fight 1-on-1 and in your own ink, even more so than most other weapons, as the Pro cannot afford to waste ink in a firefight spreading turf or fighting multiple enemies.

Gear:
I would certainly optimize gear for the Pro's high ink consumption, by prioritizing Ink Savers and Ink Recovery Up. I always like to stick at least one defense boost on any set to mess with enemy .52 Gals who don't use Damage Ups. Proper positioning is quite useful, so I look for Swim Speed Up as well.

Range and DPS:
One of the Pro's greatest assets, it outranges a large amount of other guns. Abuse of this range appears to be the key to doing well with this gun; otherwise, you might as well use a Splattershot. Its DPS is on the lower-mid end of things, from what I see in the data people have drawn up, but it's still quite effective at all ranges. It isn't so bad as to be worth worrying about in most firefights.

Changes:
I'd like to see how a Disruptor would work on a Pro set, as slowing people down always helps to confirm a splat, especially at range. In addition, I think I'd like an Echolocator. My play with the .96 Gal has shown me how useful the instant inkfill with no drawback can be on a gun with high consumption. Having the radar is always fun, too.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I personally specialize in Bomb throwing with any weapon. I love me some bombs. Splat, Suction, whatever, just gimme bombs. The Splattershot gives me bombs and A MISSILE!

But honestly, the regular FAR outdoes the Forge model in terms of all around coverage of options. The range is awesome on this weapon outranging a good deal of weapons, outright defeating rollers from a distance. The Splat bombs are good for hurling over obstacles or around corners to give more of an all around advantage and with decent ink coverage, the Inkstrike will be charged up at a fairly decent rate. The best abilities to equip on this set would be Ink Saver Main (x2 for more ink saving), Special Charge Up, Ink Recovery and (If you like bombs like me) Ink Saver Sub.

Pros
Great range
Excellent DPS
Splat bombs make great killing and tactical tool
Inkstrike can change the flow of a Splat Zone match in an instant

Cons
HORRIBLE ink usage (Needs abilities pretty bad)
Still beat by chargers
Ink spread could be a little better

As for the Forge model... I think they were thinking "Let's make a weapon that fits into one specific situation, but kinda sucks with every other one!" Because I feel that's exactly what they did with the Forge Splattershot Pro. It's really good at one thing: Locating the enemy so you can Inkzooka them with precision. That's really the only pro to this set imo. You can locate enemies and take them out normally, but I feel they wanted to inkzooka to be the main reason you use the Point Sensor. The range on the Pro is freaking awesome anyways, why Inkzooka? I don't even bother with this set.

Ictoan

Full Squid
NNID
Krrrrg
I think that the Forge does more than that. Point Sensor is rather useful with the base gun for tracking escapes and preventing approaches, as well as providing team support for those you can't catch, while the Inkzooka's strength is not just in its range (which I believe is still longer than the Pro itself) but in the fact that it near-instantly splats anyone at any point of its range, and fires relatively quickly for such power. Effective use of the Inkzooka can essentially splat or drive out every enemy within its range. As such, I think it covers one of the Pro's weaknesses rather well: the Pro generally can't take on too many enemies in succession due to its ink usage, but the Inkzooka allows the wielder to combat several enemies quickly or even simultaneously and still have a good likelihood of winning the engagement.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
As for the Forge model... I think they were thinking "Let's make a weapon that fits into one specific situation, but kinda sucks with every other one!" Because I feel that's exactly what they did with the Forge Splattershot Pro. It's really good at one thing: Locating the enemy so you can Inkzooka them with precision. That's really the only pro to this set imo. You can locate enemies and take them out normally, but I feel they wanted to inkzooka to be the main reason you use the Point Sensor. The range on the Pro is freaking awesome anyways, why Inkzooka? I don't even bother with this set.
i play the forge a bit like i play my classic squiffer. they both are mid/high range (not compared to full chargers, but actually i think the pro has more range than the squiffer?), and they both want to keep shots to a minimum in a fight.

this is where the point sensor comes in. throw them in areas of enemy ink, over hills, around corners, and you can not only move safely but also alert teammates, and prevent enemies from sneaking into your precious range (which is pretty much your primary advantage, imo). since ink is so important, i don't like to waste it on shooting excessively all over (especially since it doesn't ink well, either) and would rather pinpoint enemies quickly or so that my teammates can assist.

the inkzooka helps me cover legit snipers who would outrange me and other opponents trying to get the edge on my range by attacking from above. tbh i'm not the biggest fan of inkzooka but at least it's not using your inkpot. would rather a bomb rush but i don't think you get those without having bombs as your sub (?). whatever, it's good enough and at least it plays well with the point sensor sub, likely giving you at least one extra kill even against careful opponents..

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I understand where both of you are coming from now. I feel it is more suited to a defensive role for the team while the regular Pro is suited for an all around/forward approach. Using the Forge's point sensing for the team and good range to keep foes back and then inkzooka them when you've cornered them.

Might have been something I would have enjoyed using if I had better aim. The inkzooka is literally useless in my hands.

Ictoan

Full Squid
NNID
Krrrrg
I understand where both of you are coming from now. I feel it is more suited to a defensive role for the team while the regular Pro is suited for an all around/forward approach. Using the Forge's point sensing for the team and good range to keep foes back and then inkzooka them when you've cornered them.
I think I agree with this. I tend to take a more defensive role when using the Pro anyway, so I find the Forge variant more useful for that.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
The Pro is my main weapon for most Splat Zone maps at the moment.

I prefer the normal Pro, just because it has splat bombs. I'm lost with point sensors and most of the times I tend to forget to use them at all. I actually don't mind the high ink consumption that much. Even after I throw a splat bomb it happens only rarely that I run out of ink in a critical situation. I have one of each ink saving perks equipped as sub, though, so that helps a lot.

In Turf Wars the Pro has its issues. Its ink spread is rather bad and the inkstrikes are weaker in that mode. Here I would probably prefer the Forge variant just for the inkzooka.
What I wish? A Pro with splat or suction bombs and inkzooka - this thing would rock and maybe beat even Tentatek SS :D

Ictoan

Full Squid
NNID
Krrrrg
Yeah, the Pro's not quite so good in turf wars, but I have far too much fun splatting all those poor, outranged Aerosprays, Rollers, and even Gals. I sometimes like to warm up a bit with it in Turf War before jumping into ranked anyway, as the Pro's accuracy doesn't help when I forget how to aim.

AP3

Inkling
NNID
HoneycmbHideout
Forge set becoming my main weapon

I use swim speed and ink resistance as abilities. I use it to negate the high ink consumption through positioning and the ability to escape when my ink gets low. Since it has good range with Inkzooka, I almost play with this shooter as similar to a charger. I play on the back end of my team, with the ability to move around quickly and penetrate when needed.

Only play in Ranked

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Recently I switched to Forge Pro as my main weapon. I liked the Pro a lot two months ago and now finally got the hang of point sensors. They are really amazing as support tool. Once one or two enemies get marked in a tight battle, it's just a matter of seconds until one of my teammates gets the splat.

I play a rather interesting build with currently 8 Damage Up subs (finally got the 8th yesterday :) ). This increases the Pro's damage to 49.9 and lets me occasionally take out enemies with 2 shots. It's the most fun loadout I've played so far, as I know how hellish it is to get 2-shot by a Pro if you don't expect it :D

So yea, I'd like to change my vote from Regular to Forge :P

Last edited:

pooplooser

Full Squid
To me, the Splattershot Pro feels like a .96 gal tweaked to work better for players who can't aim like a god... (Yeah I'm awful at aiming)

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
To me, the Splattershot Pro feels like a .96 gal tweaked to work better for players who can't aim like a god... (Yeah I'm awful at aiming)
Huh

I have a harder time aiming with the Pro than with the Gals.

Keep in mind that the Gals have an innate spread on their shots, which can make them inconsistent at times when it comes to landing shots.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
That sounds backwards to me, considering the fact that the Splattershot Pro is much more accurate. If you miss with the .96 Gal, it's often not your fault; the weapon has an unusually high forced miss chance. The Splattershot Pro may have a higher rate of fire, but you need to take advantage of its improved accuracy, because unlike the .96, the Pro's kill speed is only average.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
From what I've seen of this weapon, many users stack some Ink Saver Main to get as much bang for their buck out of their ink tanks.

pooplooser

Full Squid
That sounds backwards to me, considering the fact that the Splattershot Pro is much more accurate. If you miss with the .96 Gal, it's often not your fault; the weapon has an unusually high forced miss chance. The Splattershot Pro may have a higher rate of fire, but you need to take advantage of its improved accuracy, because unlike the .96, the Pro's kill speed is only average.
I moved away from the Splattershot Pro eons ago, because I could never kill anybody with it. (Not sure why I made that assumption earlier)
One thing I have noticed though, is that I see virtually NOBODY use it in ranked. Perhaps it holds a magical power of only which the most worthy can foresee!
Or it's just me and my autistic imagination on the fritz again...

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
I moved away from the Splattershot Pro eons ago, because I could never kill anybody with it. (Not sure why I made that assumption earlier)
One thing I have noticed though, is that I see virtually NOBODY use it in ranked. Perhaps it holds a magical power of only which the most worthy can foresee!
Or it's just me and my autistic imagination on the fritz again...
The Pro is quite strong, but it's not a faceroll weapon.

It lacks the attack speed of the Tentatek, and the useful arc trajectory and raw power of the .96 Gal. But it makes up for those lacks by falling nearly in between those two weapons. It has great range and arc for a shooter while also possessing a three-shot kill. Players who can play a strong, patient neutral game will get a lot of use out of it; I ran into an S+ Forge Pro earlier today who wrecked me for the most part when I was using the Luna because he kept playing to his ranges.

I imagine Defense Ups really hurt this weapon, though. It's already annoying to fight someone decked out with them as a Tentatek and as a .52 Gal.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
I imagine Defense Ups really hurt this weapon, though. It's already annoying to fight someone decked out with them as a Tentatek and as a .52 Gal.
Not at all. The Splattershot Pro is always capable of a 3HKO regardless of enemy Defense Up. The only exceptions are situations where your shots aren't hitting at full power (that is, you're hitting at the very edge of your range or your shots are arcing down onto someone), but I certainly wouldn't think Defense Up would be worthwhile just for that.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It lacks the attack speed of the Tentatek, and the useful arc trajectory and raw power of the .96 Gal. But it makes up for those lacks by falling nearly in between those two weapons. It has great range and arc for a shooter while also possessing a three-shot kill. Players who can play a strong, patient neutral game will get a lot of use out of it; I ran into an S+ Forge Pro earlier today who wrecked me for the most part when I was using the Luna because he kept playing to his ranges.
I'm pretty sure both the Splattershot Pros and the .96 Gals have similar arc trajectories (if not equal) as they have the same range, unless you're talking about the damage when the shot begins to fall

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom