Squad/Clan War Organization and Standards?

How many matches should end up being played in wars?

• 1 Match

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Out of 3

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Out of 5

Votes: 46 63.0%
  • Out of 7

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • More than 7

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other method

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Which would mean players need to bring their Wii U and PC, for a Splatoon 'LAN Party'. Skype mobile app is meh.
A tournament venue is generally noisy, a headset and a mic is needed.
In all seriousness, I can't picture this from happening.
Bring their PC? You're really reaching at this point.

Spoilers but this game won't last more than 3 months at local tournies. Online will be a thing but nothing else. No one is going to bring 8 WiiUs for 1 single match.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
Why would you need to bring your entire PC? All you need is a compatible HDMI monitor and your Wii U, and then if you need to hear the game audio you plug a set of earbuds or a headset into the Gamepad.
Because Skype/Mumble/TS/Vent were suggested for having a voice chat during LANs, Splatoon not having any ingame voice chat option right now.
The Skype mobile app is an alternative but it can have a really terrible audio quality depending on your device. Plus, some people might not even have a device that supports Skype, the probability is existent.
Seriously playing a team-based game at high level without voice chat is awful.

I also doubt Splatoon will get any LAN support, so people will have to rely on the venue's wifi. Ethernet adaptators are quite niche.

I really think we should stick to online wars for competition, unless Nintendo makes a move to change things in the right way.
Splatoon has a really good netcode, that's fine anyway.

EDIT : @Agosta44
Of course I was only talking about LANs, since people seem to consider actual IRL tourneys for Splatoon.
I'm just stating how pointless it would be to run considering how poorly the game is conditionned for that.

Therefore, let's just consider online clan wars for this format debate.

Last edited:

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Because Skype/Mumble/TS/Vent were suggested for having a voice chat during LANs, Splatoon not having any ingame voice chat option right now.
You wouldn't use this stuff for LANs, these are online options for online play. You don't need these applications to have team's communicate with each other via headsets at LAN events.

Also, idk if this applies for squads/clans or whatever, but for tournaments, at least any I would run, they'll likely have multiple gametypes, not just Turf War or just Splat Zones.

Setu

Splatoon games are considerably shorter than regular shooters. 3 minutes for a game is nothing, and if we have a Bo3 set, that means sets could be over faster then 1 game would be played in other shooters. Smash is a very different game than splatoon and although i agree with you that we need to consider tournament organizers, Bo3 is just way too short.
There are several game modes that haven't been released, so I'm sure there will be longer modes. Splat Zone also can be extremely short or possibly very long, and your argument is based off of turf war atm. But then again, that's all we have to base things off of until next week. But yeah for right now, it seems like no matter how long the modes take(assuming 1-10 minutes), I agree that Bo3 would be too short.
The Skype mobile app is an alternative but it can have a really terrible audio quality depending on your device. Plus, some people might not even have a device that supports Skype, the probability is existent.
Seriously playing a team-based game at high level without voice chat is awful.

I also doubt Splatoon will get any LAN support, so people will have to rely on the venue's wifi. Ethernet adaptators are quite niche.

I really think we should stick to online wars for competition, unless Nintendo makes a move to change things in the right way.
Splatoon has a really good netcode, that's fine anyway.

EDIT : @Agosta44
Of course I was only talking about LANs, since people seem to consider actual IRL tourneys for Splatoon.
I'm just stating how pointless it would be to run considering how poorly the game is conditionned for that.

Therefore, let's just consider online clan wars for this format debate.
And let us first off remember the benefits of having a smash local tourney over online play. First off, there is a much higher amount of lag in smash than in splatoon(clearly, but may change when nintendo's server fills up). Second of all, it is a heck of a lot easier to have 1 console per match rather than 8. Third of all, smash tournaments originated in games that didn't have online play, and happened to continue throughout SSBB and SSBU, mostly for tradition/convenience. This just makes me view Splatoon as more of an online game, which is also what the developers mostly likely intended as well considering that 1v1 Dojo is the only offline multiplayer mode available.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I feel like people are just tossing up their ideas and not reading. (I haven't gotten every word I skimmed though most of it though)

I think doing a best of 3 with 3 different game types is a good idea. Keeps things different and interesting. Splat Zone, Capture the Flag (I hope) and Rain maker. who ever wins 2 out of those three wins that set.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
There are several game modes that haven't been released, so I'm sure there will be longer modes. Splat Zone also can be extremely short or possibly very long, and your argument is based off of turf war atm. But then again, that's all we have to base things off of until next week. But yeah for right now, it seems like no matter how long the modes take(assuming 1-10 minutes), I agree that Bo3 would be too short.
Splat zones has a 5 minute timer, which is also very short. The only other gametypes which have been announced are tower control and rainmaker and those come post-launch.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
So, what about teams that have over 4 members? What about people with more than 1 loadout? How long inbetween matches do you give them to change their weapon kit and or members? And D/C's tho?

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
So, what about teams that have over 4 members? What about people with more than 1 loadout? How long inbetween matches do you give them to change their weapon kit and or members? And D/C's tho?
I'd imagine d/cs will always just be a negative the person who suffers from a d/c has to deal with. there's no other really fair way of doing it, because otherwise people could easily feign d/cs for whatever they wanted. It's the player's responsibility to make sure their connection and everything else is stable, or risk costing their team game(s). This is assuming the d/c happens during gameplay and not in the setup area beforehand, in which situation he could just reconnect or they could get a sub on, with catastrophic consequences for them if neither can happen (forfeit).

How long for those things should be decided on after enough data is collected, but it shouldn't take very long. It won't take nearly any time to switch out a weapon set, and if the team plans on swapping out people (if that is allowed during a set), they should have the subs on standby. the next match of course has to be setup too, so I guess around 5~ minutes would suffice at most, if the game requires you to leave the lobby just to change weapons and stuff etc. Basically how often the room has to be reset will play a big role on deciding how long things will take, though a 'halftime' where people can stretch and go take a dump wouldn't hurt either if that seems to become necessary.

EDIT: other team members can be subs, I'd assume if a match was beginning each team could also select 1-2 subs, being able to swap out any more than that is a little silly. Any more above that will just have to sit the match out.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
@Fightersword I think there could and should, be a rule about D/C's within the first 30 seconds, of the first game. I don't see how that would be a big deal.

You have to go to the tower to change load outs.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
@Fightersword I think there could and should, be a rule about D/C's within the first 30 seconds, of the first game. I don't see how that would be a big deal.

You have to go to the tower to change load outs.
maybe if it only happens once. 30 seconds is also a fair amount of time too. I'd say 20 at most. Of course only once, no multiple infractions. It really is on the player to make sure everything is in order though, and too much mercy will be a bad thing.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
We haven't even gotten a taste for what the other modes besides turf war will be like or how the meta will work in the game. I think we can make the decision for how many games for a set once we have actually played the game some.

Setu

Yo, I'm reviving this thread because this may/or may not end up being how things play out after august.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom