• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squid Icons during TurfWar

Ameise

Inkling
NNID
SandanTrainer
Hello!

I just noticed something that I think wasn't recognized widely until now. (Maybe it was and I just didnt know - please tell me)

I thought the whole time, that the map on the gamepad was the only clue you would get to which team is currently leading.
But watching some of the plenty videos that were made during the testfire I noticed that the squid icons in the upper middle in the screen are a strong indicator, too.

It appears to me, that the bigger the icons get, the more turf the corresponding team has covered. For example if one team leads its icons are slightly bigger than the ones of the other team. If they are close up the icons have the same size.

But aside from that it seems that the icons in one team also vary in size. My guess is, that the more ink one player covers, the bigger his icon gets in comparison to fellow players, too.

I hope that I am not the only one who was oblivious to this fact. If not shame on me ^^

At first I was a bit disappointed about this because I found it really cool that you never knew for suho was leading. But at second thought I think its good.

mindscarp

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mindscarp
Yes, the position of the “VS” ellipse on the horizontal axis is a real-time visual indicator of ink coverage. This is also why “Danger!” appears.

However, I have not seen varying squid icon sizes in the same team. Do you have a screenshot?

Demiose

Inky Surprise
NNID
iEndzone
However, I have not seen varying squid icon sizes in the same team. Do you have a screenshot?
Isn't that shown in your own screenshot? The easiest place to see it is in the last bottom row, The pink squid all the way to the left is slightly larger than the pink squid all the way to the right

EDIT: It seems that the the farther away the squids get from the 'VS' text, the larger they get. It seems it may just be an aesthetic difference.

Reactions: Lyn

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Wow! I didn't even notice that! Super cool details like this make me feel like Nintendo really took their time with this game!

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I've also noticed the Squids make an "x.x" face when they have been splatted. Very neat stuff!

mindscarp

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mindscarp
Isn't that shown in your own screenshot? The easiest place to see it is in the last bottom row, The pink squid all the way to the left is slightly larger than the pink squid all the way to the right

EDIT: It seems that the the farther away the squids get from the 'VS' text, the larger they get. It seems it may just be an aesthetic difference.
I've watched some footage again and it definitely seems to be just cosmetic. For example there was a match where the end results were 797 / 709 / 643 / 181, and the guy with 181 points was the first squid of the team on the left side (so the “biggest” one) – I identified his icon by seeing him get killed and his icon turn into a black X face during the match.

Also, I could not find a match that did NOT follow the exact same scheme (“the the farther away the squids get from the 'VS' text, the larger they get”).

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
I love that all these tiny details got put into the game. But I never noticed when playing the testfire!

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I've watched some footage again and it definitely seems to be just cosmetic. For example there was a match where the end results were 797 / 709 / 643 / 181, and the guy with 181 points was the first squid of the team on the left side (so the “biggest” one) – I identified his icon by seeing him get killed and his icon turn into a black X face during the match.

Also, I could not find a match that did NOT follow the exact same scheme (“the the farther away the squids get from the 'VS' text, the larger they get”).
See this makes sense, thanks for looking into it.

It just seems such a big part of the game (that you don't know who wins truly until the end) wouldn't be indicated by something like that. Nintendo has mentioned it a bunch of times that this is why it's exciting, etc. Hell it's why Judd exists

mindscarp

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mindscarp
It just seems such a big part of the game (that you don't know who wins truly until the end) wouldn't be indicated by something like that. Nintendo has mentioned it a bunch of times that this is why it's exciting, etc. Hell it's why Judd exists
To be fair, the “VS” indicator has only 5 possible positions; when it's in the middle, you don't know who's winning. When it's not in the middle, you could have easily found out yourself by looking at the painted areas on the Wii U GamePad's map.

Ameise

Inkling
NNID
SandanTrainer

Oh, ok that sounds right. Thanks a lot for looking it up!

See this makes sense, thanks for looking into it.

Thats why I didnt like it when I discovered it. But like mindscarp said, when you think about it, everything thats not really close you can also see when you look at the gamepad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom