Squid Jump Specifics

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
In the dark times of the Splatoon Global Misfire, I got the time to play a LOT of Squid Jump. I made it to level 35, and I made a number of observations along the way.

The Power-ups
  • Fish - touching it sends you flying into the air. Fly like an eagle, you little squid you!
  • Jellyfish - this one allows you to break physics and charge up a double jump. Not very scientific, but certainly helpful.
  • Starfish - Getting this one makes everything about you fast. Your jump charges MUCH faster, and you drop much faster as well. Sometimes if you time it right, the powerup will disable mid-jump and you'll be sent flying ridiculously high! Live fast, live free, lil' squiddy!

The Platforms

• Regular - It's a plain old platform. Not much more to be said.
  • Baby Jellyfish - these move back and forth, so you have to time your jumps accordingly. (Please do not hurt them, they are soft and friendly.)
  • Ice - If you have any horizontal momentum when landing on these platforms, you'll start sliding. This means you probably don't have much time to jump to the next platform.
  • Conveyor Belts - You don't want to be on this platform too long, else your squid will be dropped off of it. It moves the squid in a direction at a set speed.

The Points of Interest

• For every 10,000 points, you gain an extra life. This can extend your squid jumping shenanigans should you meet a murky demise a few too many times.
  • The screen loops around. By which If mean if you hop off the right edge of the screen, you'll show up back on the left edge.
  • The squid is adorable. Just felt the need to mention this.

Last edited:

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
Just as a general tip I found useful, you can begin the "charge" animation while still airborne, then release it as soon as you land for quicker jumps.

Reactions: DDB

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
It reminded me of an (actually good) Ice Climber.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Just as a general tip I found useful, you can begin the "charge" animation while still airborne, then release it as soon as you land for quicker jumps.
Caveat: Begin too early and you'll jump higher than intended, which wastes time falling down and can mis-time things for moving platforms.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
Oh yeah, you're right. They just reminded me of Ice Climber's clouds.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very nice. The game reminds me A LOT of Ice Climber..

R.I.P. The Ice Climbers 1985 - 2014. Missing in action.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Well, after level 20 it reminds me of Super Mario Bros., aesthetically.

Level 1-20 is like... Balloon Fight.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I think the minigames while waiting is probably one of the best ideas this game has lol. So simple and yet so pleasing...

At least I think, I missed ALL 3 global test fires :(

Edit: 4, forgot about the last one.

Last edited:

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I've never really looked into the minigame. There seems to be more to it than I initialy thought. The furthest I've reached is level 12.

Cynlet

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Guantcynlet
Furthest I reached...Level 2
Never was any good at Doodle jump either.

And yes, the squid is so adorable that you felt bad letting it dies like TAT I'm sorry!! I didn't mean for you to get killed by the poison water!

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Question,

Do the Starfish and Jellyfish stack? My brother was playing Squid Jump for most of the ~hour it was down and he was never fortunate enough to get the two together.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
They don't stack, I got a jellyfish after a starfish and lost the fast-charge/fast-fall stuff the starfish offered.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
The Jellyfish let's you double jump?? Guess that means I need to start being more experimental with the games I play.

Neat guide DDB, guess we're going to need just as detailed guides for the other three games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom