• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squid Sisters Live 2016

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Well, the U.K. band Gorillaz is fairly popular in the west and the difference between them and vocaloid's is pretty much only the genre they play.
It's very different. Vocaloids are almost entirely synthetic from both a music and literal standpoint, whereas Gorillaz is a human band that uses animation as a medium as a way to share its music. Another massive and important cultural difference is that Japanese audiences tend to view vocaloids almost as people, whereas animated bands such as Gorillaz are mostly viewed as an art form.

Definitely not a fair comparison.

Is it weird that I don't find it weird? :confused:
Depends whether or not you live in Japan. If you live anywhere else, I guarantee you're the minority.

Not that it's a bad thing, you can like whatever you want, but I definitely would not describe vocaloids as "nothing weird about it."

tape1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
tape11
Switch Friend Code
SW-3407-1101-4635
Another massive and important cultural difference is that Japanese audiences tend to view vocaloids almost as people, whereas animated bands such as Gorillaz are mostly viewed as an art form.
Huh, interesting.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
It's normal. For the "most" part, it's a cultural thing for Japanese people to like concerts with fictional characters, even if its a hologram figures. Heck, I actually liked it and reading the translations from here showed they had a fun time. Besides, dat music was too gewd.

Also, I was jamming too hard, but there was a rapper there?
Oooh, transcripts! Thanks, I was hoping those would turn up eventually!

It's very different. Vocaloids are almost entirely synthetic from both a music and literal standpoint, whereas Gorillaz is a human band that uses animation as a medium as a way to share its music. Another massive and important cultural difference is that Japanese audiences tend to view vocaloids almost as people, whereas animated bands such as Gorillaz are mostly viewed as an art form.

Definitely not a fair comparison.

Depends whether or not you live in Japan. If you live anywhere else, I guarantee you're the minority.

Not that it's a bad thing, you can like whatever you want, but I definitely would not describe vocaloids as "nothing weird about it."

LOL, no, I don't live in Japan, but I've found I tend to have a Japanese mentality and viewpoint on most things, purely by coincidence. I suppose I was born in the wrong hemisphere. :)

Though it's a little odd saying that thinking of these characters as real is normal for Japan but not normal for the home of Disney, Disney character concerts, Disney Stars on Ice, reality TV, etc. I'd say it's just as normal here. The format is different, but concept isn't that different.

Also, CALLIE AND MARIE ARE REAL! :p;)

Vesperupus

Inkling
NNID
Vesperupus
This made me very happy. Today was a good Splatoon day and this was a highlight!
I might be used to weird stuff thanks to being on the internet for quite a while now so I don't find this weird at all. I'd attend a squid sisters concert. When's their album coming?

It's normal. For the "most" part, it's a cultural thing for Japanese people to like concerts with fictional characters, even if its a hologram figures. Heck, I actually liked it and reading the translations from here showed they had a fun time. Besides, dat music was too gewd.

Also, I was jamming too hard, but there was a rapper there?
Aaand that answers my question whether someone translated the flavor text. Thanks for the link!

Award

I watched it again and it's even better the second time around. The vocals really are good (Credit to the real singers on that - gibberish processed vocals or not, it's real singing, and they're fantastic.) and the music itself is just stellar. I sit there watching grinning & laughing the whole time - and toe tapping head nodding along with the jams - the slow fade camera work and soft focus just add so much. So beautifully done all the way around!

I SERIOUSLY would be Squid Sister's CD's!

dapperlace

Pro Squid
This has the captions for what they say in-between songs. The concert starts at around the 9 minute mark.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
It was held after a tournament. . .
Dont quote me on this, but despite the fact that it was held after the Koshien, most if not all of the people viewing the tournament at the Splatoon booth were not at the concert. The concert required separate ticket sales and was hosted at a different venue (still within the Makuhari Messe, but a different section).

I attended with a General Admission ticket to Tokaigi to view the tournament, hoping to see the concert as well. But it turned out that the concert required special ticketing, or so I think.

Point being that all the people in the audience of the concert went FOR the concert first and foremost.
Even though I couldnt see it live like I had hoped, I absolutely loved being in the presence of so many Splatoon fans in one place. The tournament was intense, too.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Point being that all the people in the audience of the concert went FOR the concert first and foremost.
Not that it matters, at all, but you can't really make that assumption. Just because they bought those tickets doesn't mean that is solely the reason they were there in the first place. I mean, if I was going to a tournament, and there was a concert shortly after consisting of characters from that game, I'd go, because why not? I'm already here.

I mean, yea, there may have been a few people here and there that went only for the concert, but to say all of them is an assumption.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Not that it matters, at all, but you can't really make that assumption. Just because they bought those tickets doesn't mean that is solely the reason they were there in the first place. I mean, if I was going to a tournament, and there was a concert shortly after consisting of characters from that game, I'd go, because why not? I'm already here.

I mean, yea, there may have been a few people here and there that went only for the concert, but to say all of them is an assumption.
Well, I just mean, there wasn't really time to get from the end of that day's tournament to the concert venue and get great seating even if you'd purchased both tickets. There was only 30 minutes between, and the people who wanted to be closest to the concert stage definitely had to miss a pretty big chunk of the tournament. That's all I'm saying. So I guess the majority, not all would have been better phrasing.

Anyway small detail. The concert was amazing. Yay.

EDIT: also, I probably missed the memo because I only found out about the whole thing 2 days before it, and my japanese is only intermediate, but there had to have been some special way to go about getting the concert tickets, because both Makuhari Messe and Tokaigi's websites had no special option for buying those tickets. They may have been very limited and sold out quite awhile in advance. Maybe they were sold through Nintendo in some way or through social media. I don't really know. But I'd venture to guess that if you were lucky enough to get those tickets, that'd be your priority, not general admission which you can get at the door.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So, I finally got around to watching this.

It... I should find it bizarre, seeing a whole crowd of people getting amped up by what amount to mere 3D animations projected onto a screen, singing/speaking things I can't understand in words that don't exist (and being unable to read the given subtitles).

Perhaps it's because I've become used to the concept thanks to Splatoon's music, perhaps it's because I'm too tired to be overthinking it all, but I found it perfectly... I wanna say reasonable, but I don't think that's the right word. Neat? Enjoyable? Unweird? Not to mention the music itself was incredibly catchy as always.

If there is a Splatoon 2, and if it gets a soundtrack release as well, I'd definitely pay extra to get the concert on a bonus disc. Even if it's just the individual songs and not the full concert.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
I don't think it's weird at all. People like coming together in support of things they're fans of, and this counts things like Vocaloids and the Squid Sisters. People aren't exactly alien to gathering in large groups in support of fictional things. People can get really attached to fiction. There's plenty of conventions to prove that.

Award

@birdiebee I didn't know you were in Japan! That's cool - so do you play Japan's Splatfests then? Shame you didn't get to see the concert :(

Twisted Squid Sisters.
Why do I suspect half the audience here is too young to get the reference? ;)

I was grinning like an idiot when I watched it. I didn't find it weird, although I'm fairly sure I'm pretty weird.
That's exactly what I do when I watch it! I've watched it a few times now, and I can't stop grinning like that the whole time :D

I still don't understand the idea that it's a culturally "weird" thing for Americans - we have Disney, we have Disney Stars on Ice where a bunch of people in furry costumes ice skate and tickets sell like crazy. You can't tell me that a holographic concert of Elsa and whatsherface from Frozen singing the Lion King's complete hits wouldn't sell like wildfire. We have flipping Disney World/Land where people blow their life savings to have their 4 year old held by a 6 foot tall rodent.

For that matter it's perfectly normal here to buy tickets to watch a holographic concert of a dead man performing (Michael Jackson, Tupac.)

But "holographic cartoon concerts performed by living singers are such weird Japanese stuff!" :rolleyes: Heck, half this stuff the Japanese learned from US! :cool:

Last edited:

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
@birdiebee I didn't know you were in Japan! That's cool - so do you play Japan's Splatfests then? Shame you didn't get to see the concert :(
Yep I do! Admittedly I am not a huge splatfest fan because I love Ranked so much but yeah, I really enjoy Japan's weird polls haha.

I was able to watch the concert on a big screen where the tournament was held, but it was the same video that was streamed to all of you xD
Also, I never checked to find this, but if you were watching the stream in the half hour leading up to the concert, you might have seen me standing in the crowd at the tournament booth. I was on the camera. xDD

Award

Yep I do! Admittedly I am not a huge splatfest fan because I love Ranked so much but yeah, I really enjoy Japan's weird polls haha.

I was able to watch the concert on a big screen where the tournament was held, but it was the same video that was streamed to all of you xD
Also, I never checked to find this, but if you were watching the stream in the half hour leading up to the concert, you might have seen me standing in the crowd at the tournament booth. I was on the camera. xDD
That's so cool! I only saw the youtube video since I don't have a NicoNico account (and the live stream was at 3:00AM here :p)

Hey, since you're in Japan you might know, is there any significance in player names to (loosely) "(.w.)" (where the dots are centered dots, and the "w" is the squigglier Japanese character that kind of resembles a w?) I've often wondered if that's a specific clan, or if it's just an emoji that gamers like to use. I see that a lot with players I play and can figure out if it's the same people, or if it's just members of a very large clan, or if it's just something that a lot of people put in their names. :)

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
That's so cool! I only saw the youtube video since I don't have a NicoNico account (and the live stream was at 3:00AM here :p)

Hey, since you're in Japan you might know, is there any significance in player names to (loosely) "(.w.)" (where the dots are centered dots, and the "w" is the squigglier Japanese character that kind of resembles a w?) I've often wondered if that's a specific clan, or if it's just an emoji that gamers like to use. I see that a lot with players I play and can figure out if it's the same people, or if it's just members of a very large clan, or if it's just something that a lot of people put in their names. :)
Haha, I have seen that. I dont think it is anything more significant than a funny emoji that they like. I dont know a lot about the clan scene in Japan or otherwise though. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom