Stage striking vs rotations

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
So for tournaments, the way i see it, there are really 2 main ways of selecting maps/gametypes within a match. The first is using the stage striking method. Since a lot of you guys come from smash, you probably are familiar with stage striking so I'll keep the explanation very brief: Team alternate striking stages they do not want to play until only 1 is left. The reason stage striking works so well in smash bros is because in smash bros the stage you want to play on will change depending on the matchup you're facing. Against certain characters some stages are better then others. Some stages put certain characters at an advantage and some put characters at a disadvantage. So stage striking helps balance that a little by allowing players to eliminate stages that would put them at a larger disadvantage.

The other method is a rotation of map-gametype sets. The way this works is that for a best of 5 set (just for an example) there is a pre-determined order of maps/gametypes for each game in the set. These often change a bit between rounds. An example would be something like: Splat Zones on Saltspray game 1, Turf War on Walleye game 2, Tower control on Blackbelly game 3, Splat Zones on Urchin Underpass game 4 and Turf War on Port Mackerel game 5. So each team would play these gametypes in their first round set, and then there would be a similar rotation for each subsequent round. This system is more common in shooters. The up-side to this type of system is that each team has to learn all the maps/gametypes that would be used because there isn't the option of avoiding it with a strike. Also, it keeps things interesting for viewers of the tournament because it doesn't allow things to get stale (seeing the same map multiple times in a row, or just too frequently). It also allows teams to plan ahead a bit more, to decide what team composition they would go for and what strategies to use etc.

In my opinion the later option is more suited to shooters, like splatoon, but that's not to say stage striking is a bad system.
What do you guys think?

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Isn't it easier to just let teams pick the maps in order (as in, Team A picks a map, Team B picks a map...) and not allowing repicking? I don't think striking/rotations are necessary at all.

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
I honestly think that the most competitive game mode is Splat Zones and I think that it'll probably be the game mode used in tournaments in the future so I don't think the gametypes will be a problem. The maps however would probably work in a way where Team A picks a map and then Team B but we'll have to just try out some stuff to see which is the best.

fishiecracker

Inkling
NNID
fishiecracker
I like the idea of a coin flip to see who choses the first map, and then the loser picks every map that comes after. As for game mode I feel like it should depend on the tournament and should be one mode consistently through out the tournament ( or at least be the same for the whole round)

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Isn't it easier to just let teams pick the maps in order (as in, Team A picks a map, Team B picks a map...) and not allowing repicking? I don't think striking/rotations are necessary at all.
Problem with this is if you play an odd number of matches, which you often will, one team gets more picks than the other.

PhoenixRiku

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SweeetPR
Agreed with Howl. I know it is a Nintendo game, but you don't have to try to follow Smash. Try other competitive team based shooters...

Stage picks alternating are much more effective for shooters. (Set map rotations are fine too.). It feels like people are forcing Smash style on this game when other scenes are a lot more suitable for templates and examples.

superman

Senior Squid
Say you have a pool of 5 playable maps and you want to play a BO3.
Let both teams pick their map and use elimination/striking to figure out the decider.

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
Agreed with Howl. I know it is a Nintendo game, but you don't have to try to follow Smash. Try other competitive team based shooters...

Stage picks alternating are much more effective for shooters. (Set map rotations are fine too.). It feels like people are forcing Smash style on this game when other scenes are a lot more suitable for templates and examples.
I think because a lot of people on this website come from a smash background they feel like we should base our rule sets regarding maps on Smash. I feel like basing our rule sets on something like CS:GO would be a smart start but I still have no idea what they do. 1 ban per team would still leave open a lot of maps for a best of 3 if that's what we want to do.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
As I said a few days ago on the rules suggestions thread I like the idea of each team banning a single map (this is of course going to be after more maps are added) and each team picks 1 map in a best of 3, 2 maps in a best of 5, etc. and the map for game 3, 5, etc is selected at random from the maps not picked or banned. which means neither team gets an advantage of winning the coin toss deciding who picks/bans first and disadvantage of losing the cointoss

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
But...doesn't this game not allow you to pick stages? It's random out of two choices every 4 hours, right?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I would hope that custom lobbies, when added, allow you to. It would really suck if a competitive tournament was bound to Nintendo's rotation for its entire duration.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
With 14 final maps, I think striking will take too long. What I think would be good is take a hybrid system from Sports and Smash. Flip a coin, losing team strikes X amount of stages, winning team picks a stage from the rest. Afterwards the winners of the previous match strike X amount of stages and the losers pick a stage from the rest. Losers can't go back to a stage they already won on.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
I'd say go with Set Rotation. That way, we'll have a nice variety of game modes and maps which players can prepare for. Such variety is basically a must for shooters, if we want to keep things interesting for a prospective audience.

Besides, map knowledge is a skill that should be tested for.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
I'd say go with Set Rotation. That way, we'll have a nice variety of game modes and maps which players can prepare for. Such variety is basically a must for shooters, if we want to keep things interesting for a prospective audience.

Besides, map knowledge is a skill that should be tested for.
I definitely agree. It also keeps things simple to organize between games, since both teams already know the next gametype/map. The only thing you'd need to do is change weapon sets if you want.

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
Certain specialized weapons and abilities are better on certain maps than others. If we allow the teams to change equipment before each match, a rotation is okay. If they're locked in, I'd say stage strikes are a good way to go.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Certain specialized weapons and abilities are better on certain maps than others. If we allow the teams to change equipment before each match, a rotation is okay. If they're locked in, I'd say stage strikes are a good way to go.
I don't see why we wouldn't allow switching. That would just be limiting for no reason.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
I don't see why we wouldn't allow switching. That would just be limiting for no reason.
Well, having to exit the lobby, switch weapons and gear, and talk strategy and re-enter the lobby after each and every match might take a lot of time.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Well, having to exit the lobby, switch weapons and gear, and talk strategy and re-enter the lobby after each and every match might take a lot of time.
That's why you put a time limit on that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom