• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Still need help countering this weapon...

techton

Senior Squid
Greetings,
After all the advice I've been given (which I greatly appreciate), I still can't seem to reliably counter weapons like the Octobrush. Most of the time when I come across a team with more than one Octobrush, my team and I lose miserably. I can't sneak up on them. It's like they have an ungodly third sense at detecting opponents. I mostly use the Splattershot Jr., so it's really difficult for me to out-range them. Getting up in their face and shooting at them obviously doesn't work. They can be pretty unpredictable when approaching you. I tend to struggle with hitting them since they approach me doing zigzags.

Out of all the weapons that I dislike fighting, this one is probably the one I hate the most, and it's one of the only weapons where I feel powerless against. At some point, I'm going to have to blame myself if nothing more works.
I'm still in search for a counter besides long-range weapons, because I almost never use them, and I don't really like using them.
I need some more help, please. Maybe give me some info on a counter that you guys use that works well? I don't know.

Until then, I'm going to deem this weapon as overpowered.
~Thanks

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Unfortunately, Splattershot Jr. is not a very optimal weapon for combating Octobrushes in pretty much all fronts.

They outrange you and have a more consistent kill time with large horizontal coverage.

Best you can do is learn to play bomb game. Splat Bombs are quite useful, they're the one tool you have that let to cover your lack of range. If you are able to slide bomb where they are, if they're jumping to extend their reach, they'll have minimal time to try and run away.

Ink Armor is really your main other alternative to tank hits and try to splat them while you have invincibility frames.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Gameboy beat me to it; Splat Bombs
are your best option against good Brush users; I also feel like the N-Zap would help you tremendously against them as well, especially with the 89 and it’s Tenta Missiles.

Reactions: the

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Honestly when you are playing a close range weapon against an octobrush it is best to let a longer range foe take care of them, while dealing with the weapon that my allies are having trouble with.

For example when I play sploosh, I let splattershot pro deal with them while I deal with the bucket and flanked the splatcharger that were limiting their movement

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Good advice here, choose your battles like Saber said and if that fails, practice your bomb skills. Frankly, anything that's more accurate than the Jr. can fight a brush head-on due to reach and accuracy advantages.

Nerdbird

Pro Squid
I find that most brush users slightly overestimate the range on the Octo, and so quite a lot of their kill potential is given by them inking the ground you’re standing on and preventing your escape. As a blaster player, I try to have at least one main of ink resist up to try and facilitate a speedy getaway and to reduce the damage taken from standing in their ink.

hope this helps ;)

Reactions: the

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah I would agree, use bombs to harass and run away, and also to block escape routes if you see an octobrush struggling with a longer-ranged teammate. Teamwork helps!

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Jr. vs Octo might be the worst match up for the Jr. I would throw a bomb behind them, Armor, and then approach, preferably from the side or back.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
Bombs, Armor if you can, and always attack from the side or back

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
"Learn to use bombs" is just good advice in general for the SS Jr.. Splat bombs are great for forcing hiding enemies to reveal themselves, and throwing one at your enemy's feet or just in the "zone of engagement" right before a fight will give you a major advantage.

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
Not an expert on the jr. in regards to distance and shooting practice and such, but I've found my technique changes when using a regular splattershot and facing brushes. Whereas I normally alternate strafing directions when in shootouts, against an octobrush, I found backpedaling straight backwards while shooting significantly improves my survival chance (this without run speed but with a few ink resistances). Sorta keeps just ahead of the brush's forward momentum, and in fact makes aiming much easier since it appears like a static target. But dunno if that'll work with the jr. Might help switching to a slightly longer-ranged shooter like n-zap or splattershot to counter the brush while it's popular, while still keeping to your normal playstyle?

SquidletSquidlet

Inkster Jr.
Flank them with Ninja Squid, if that is a playstyle that works for you. Octobrushes really need to be balanced in the next update.

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
I don't have much of a problem splatting octobrushes with a slosher. If they get me, it's probly because they outplayed me(I'm not fantastic), and not really the weapon.

I feel as though a lot of brush users underestimate how quickly a bucket will take them down. I assume the sloshing machine could reap the same benefit, but I haven't tried it yet. I try to isolate then two shot them when they inevitably commit to charging. Brush users appear to fairly heavily rely on cover or stealth to get anything done.

I can see how they'd be frustrating in a game with a hard tilt to close range meta, where I can expect 2 duallies and/or a roller on my team almost every match.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
If you’re looking for another weapon, I’d pick a roller, the one shot is a lot faster than the brush, and the vertical flick easily outranges, you just need to be able to alter your aim mid flick to get really effective kills. Rollers pretty popular lately as well because of splash down and curling bomb, and the baller variant has its uses too. Otherwise, I guess it’s just about bomb game and focus more on your escape than anything else.

Just some advice, if you run ink resistance, in order to make an actual difference you need I think at least two mains for speed in enemy ink. I at least need 2 mains in order to play Slosher effectively, but play around with your gear to find the best combination for you

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
My problem with Octobrushes is just the visual commotion they make. It honestly disorients me, especially since they tend to pop out of hiding, and makes it hard for me to identify the center where the actual player is located.
Exactly! Other weapons like the slosher spew out a huge amount of paint at once, but you can at least still see the source it's coming from. When Octobrushes are in front of you though, you just can't see a thing. I would so love for them to simply improve visibility when a brush is being swung. No actual damage/ink consumption/etc. nerfs necessary, just let me see the actual inkling swinging it, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom