• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Stingray is bad.

Cerebralbore101

Inkster Jr.
Does anybody else think the stingray is awful? The damage output is so weak that you have to hit somebody with it for longer than with a normal weapon just to get a kill. It's slow to fire and difficult to aim with no aiming reticule. It doesn't even ink the ground properly.

Has anybody had success with the stingray? I want to use Splatlings but I'm just not a fan of the special attached to the first Splatling Gun.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
Yeah, agreed. I don't think the damage could be upped without creating killer wail 2.0, but if it aimed more quickly than it does it'd be a lot more viable.
@Dessgeega HAS AGREED WITH THE OP! I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Seriously the one thing that really grinds my gears about the sting ray us how the boss salmonid stinger's sting ray stings so much more swiftly than the stinky sub-pat sting ray of the sting ray special.

Seriously.

This is why I'm really probably not going to use the dynamo, despite being a dynamo main in S1. This slow, weak, underpowered special really needs a buff.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
The damage output is a little too low I believe. Other than that, I actually have not been doing too terrible with it, but it's certainly subpar to other options. I see the x-ray and I shoot someone. As soon as that's done or I'm missing, I'll stop shooting mid-super to x-ray again. I do ok with it, but it's clearly the weakest choice in my opinion. A bigger radius or more damage wouldn't be too crazy. I'd at least expect the normal to be maybe two kills normal use if skilled enough. 3 plus if they're bunched up. I'm lucky to even score 1 if I did. I do think though that it is the way it is because it's a safe zone type super. You're at little risk using it so expecting a par reward with say the jetpack which is higher risk doesn't seems fair on the other hand. It's a low risk low reward super. Jetpack is higher risk, higher reward. I think adding a reticule and broadening the radius a little more wouldn't hurt too much though in my final thoughts. Let's just not forget that the stingray is basically cheat mode. A wee bit more viability especially considering it's a super to begin with should be considered, but tread lightly on such a weapon. X-ray vision and the ability to shoot through walls. It could be Perfect Dark's Farsight-XR20 for the N64 all over again.

Last edited:

the

Inkling Commander
I think the lack of a reticle is my biggest complaint. I have had the most success with using it on people whose silhouettes i can see moving back and forth or jumping a lot, because that means they're likely in a firefight already. I can use the stingray to get some chip damage in for a teammate or just limit their movement options so my pal can hopefully get the kill.

Though while it's not impossible to use stingray effectively, I agree that it needs a buff of some kind. Slightly faster movement and/or a reticle would work wonders for it without making it OP, i think.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
@Dessgeega HAS AGREED WITH THE OP! I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Seriously the one thing that really grinds my gears about the sting ray us how the boss salmonid stinger's sting ray stings so much more swiftly than the stinky sub-pat sting ray of the sting ray special.

Seriously.

This is why I'm really probably not going to use the dynamo, despite being a dynamo main in S1. This slow, weak, underpowered special really needs a buff.
Har har. Anyway, that's partly because the salmon, being the CPU opponent, automatically knows the player's position no matter what. Human opponents have no such luxury, or any luxury really with this special. It definitely needs something more.

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217
Paired with thermal ink it might be slightly more useful, but yeah, it kinda sucks.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Yep, I find the Stingray very lackluster as a special as a harasser or even as a zoning type special compared to all of the other specials in the game.

The slow turning radius/mobility, low damage, and lack of reticle is really holding the Stingray back from it being a pretty solid special weapon.
I feel like the Stingray was one of those things you'll see in a game that might sound completely broken on paper and thus the developers took extra safety measures to make it not broken and end up making it a bit too weak as a result.

As other had already suggested, having a targeting reticle and having better mobility while firing would be pretty nice.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I am certain I've rarely seen a charger use it when just using their actual weapon would be much wiser. The moment I see a charger (or anyone really) pop their stingray, I bum rush them usually with a lot of success.

Bad Splattitude

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4891-2207-7800
The only time I saw someone using it, they were at the bottom of my team so yeah

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yeah, Stingray is really bad. I know the dangers of pointing things out as OP and UP this soon after the game's been released, but it's hard to think of anything redeemable about it.
Incredibly weak TTK, slow tracing, inability to use subs, unable to drop special after it's in use and a long windup time makes it so hideously poor. The fact it's on the basic set on chargers/splatling, which main weapon already is much more potent than the limp beam of failure makes it that more insulting.

I legit think i'd rather have an instant ink refill special over the stingray. I'd probably refrain from using it until the eventual patches come along and give it a much-needed buff.

4thday

Inkling
The only good thing about the Stingray is that you can swim in ink and re-aim. Otherwise, it's just squidicide.

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
I agree after using it a few times. I think it should definitely do more damage, nothing over the top but more than now, especially with how slow it still is to move and how quickly the other players move around. It makes getting splats with it almost impossible (if you can do it regularly, I commend you.)

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
While I think it's usable, I generally only have it by coincidence. At safe ranges, it's a decent zoning and pressuring tool, but I find Ink Storm does a much better job of area denial, and that lets you act completely freely. As an offensive tool, it leaves you woefully defenseless, you can't even chuck bombs while you have it out, which really hurts your ability to survive due to how much it gimps your movement. Also, it just pairs very poorly with the main weapons you see it attached to. Splat Chargers and Splatlings can generally accomplish what they want to at most ranges where you'd be using the Stingray, so it really doesn't add anything to their options. I have had some success with it, but only when the ball was already in my team's court, I've never been able to swing momentum with the Stingray.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Not at all. You should witness some A level players making use of it. While it is mainly a stage control ability, in the right time it is more than just a lethal killer.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I do think it is a bit of an overstatement to call it bad, because if it were bad it wouldn't be useful at all in any situation, which is not true. Compared to other specials though, you don't see it used to great effect nearly as often, which can't just be written off as it being difficult but rewarding to use. Personally, I've never seen it used as a big part of a person's kit, it mostly just seems to be around because the weapon they like to use happens to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom