• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

[Stray Idea] Capture the Zapfish

What do you think would be the more dangerous buff of the Zapfish's benefits?

• Total voters

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Who says the flag has to be at spawn? It would pretty much have to be placed some distance away, especially for maps like Saltspray Rig where spawn is a one-way exit. Just gotta pick a good flag spot for each map, or design maps specifically for this game mode. Alternatively, what if it's the other type of CTF, the kind there's just one neutral flag in the center of the map for either team to take? Or better yet, have both types of CTF modes, more modes for everyone!

Not being able to squid is a really harsh restriction, the kind that can easily make it impossible to cap. I'd rather err on the side of making it too easy to cap than too hard, let's not turn this into 2fort. However what I would do is broadcast the flag carrier's location on the Gamepad map, that way they can run... but they can't hide! Also, since nobody's mentioned it yet, super jumps are one thing that would obviously have to be disabled.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
It could be One-Flag CTF, in which there's a neutral flag in the middle of the map that each team attempts to take control of.

And I don't think captures would be too easy if you can go into squid mode. Flag carriers are always very visibly marked and killing squids in ink isn't unfathomably difficult to begin with. And so what if Splatoon's CTF has a high number of flag captures? Making it too hard to capture the flag creates a slower gametype.

I think it'd be fair to take away their super-jump and primary weapon. So the flag carrier can't jump to a teammate and can't use their primary weapon without dropping the flag. But they can still get away and try to capture the flag in squid mode while using their sub weapon in human mode.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
I think there's been a lot of really good ideas for a CTF mode in this thread.

True, without multiple spawns, perhaps just having one flag would be best. It seems like it would work well. Also, the flagholder should really be able to go into squid form. Maybe not go as fast, but you gotta have squid form.

Also, I'm in favor of missingno's seamless Sudden Death idea. It sounds like it'd be a great, quick way to handle a tie.

ThisFungi

8-bit crazy!
Ink is super volatile and can be taken in an instant. As I said, it's not even close to a guaranteed win, all it does is give you a little bit more mobility. Even without it, you can still Splatdash and Splatterhop your way through. Trying to spend the entire game planning for what might help in Sudden Death is not going to be a reliable strategy. Hell, what is the "smart" team in your scenario even accomplishing exactly by focusing on inking elsewhere compared to the team that's actually trying to push and streamline a route to the Zapfish? And can they do that and prevent captures at the same time? They probably won't even get the tie if they waste their time like that.

Also, keep in mind the point of Sudden Death is to quickly break the tie. If we make them restart the match, that takes the quick out.
A team that can take advantage of the ink distrubution within the surroundings of a map would definitely have a better chance of a victory. Think about what happens if an enemy team attempts a rushed and streamlined route. They're only left with a single route that would probably have to be used to get back to base when they claim a zapfish. If that road is blocked by the opposite team another method would be to create a new road. However since the team that inked on the entire battlefield can move quicker and safer, they can prevent the team that went with a direct route from going any further with the new route. The team that took the direct route would have little room to make an escape or attempting a backtrack to prevent themselves from getting killed and losing the zapfish. If they were to get killed, then the track that they made would be covered by the team that had the entire battlefield in the first place. The direct team would have to make a new road. Rinse and Repeat until sudden death comes.

The team that inked the battlefield can go for the zapfish with less risk than the direct team because they planned ahead with a lot of ink to back them up in case they need to think of another escape or approach towards the goal of the fish. Planning on inking the ground wouldn't be a waste of time, it's creating an expansion of options.... options that can cripple the team trying to get the fish in the first place. The only ones that would be wasting their time would be the ones making an attempt to capture the fish, and that would be a real shame. No enemy team should be submissioned around a campfire unless that mode is "King of the Hill" based.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
It could be One-Flag CTF, in which there's a neutral flag in the middle of the map that each team attempts to take control of.

And I don't think captures would be too easy if you can go into squid mode. Flag carriers are always very visibly marked and killing squids in ink isn't unfathomably difficult to begin with. And so what if Splatoon's CTF has a high number of flag captures? Making it too hard to capture the flag creates a slower gametype.

I think it'd be fair to take away their super-jump and primary weapon. So the flag carrier can't jump to a teammate and can't use their primary weapon without dropping the flag. But they can still get away and try to capture the flag in squid mode while using their sub weapon in human mode.
A one flag variant is a great idea, that would work with splatoon's spawn system. But i think especially with the flags now being in the middle of the map that turning into a squid would for captures to happen much too quickly. I don't think limiting the squid form would make the game too slow either, seeing as how the maps are still relatively small. What it would do is make it difficult to capture flags if the entire opposition team (or the majority of the team) is still alive, which is exactly how CTF should play out.

Then the other issue is that for maps like Saltspray rig, where the spawn isn't accessible once you've dropped down, the gametype wouldn't exactly work, or at least the capture point would need to be somewhere else.

But a one flag variant sounds awesome. I'd like to see more gametypes added into splatoon, beyond just tower control and rainmaker.

Hi_C

Full Squid

When you mentioned 1 Flag, I totally thought of Oddball instead. I feel like that gametype might be better for this game than a CTF gametype since there is the whole issue with one spawn and changing cap areas and such.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
When you mentioned 1 Flag, I totally thought of Oddball instead. I feel like that gametype might be better for this game than a CTF gametype since there is the whole issue with one spawn and changing cap areas and such.
Oddball in splatoon would be very cool, especially on maps like arowana mall or saltspray rig where you have the possibility of throwing the ball off the ledge (playing the ball as it is referred too in the halo community). That gametype could have a lot of depth.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
A one flag variant is a great idea, that would work with splatoon's spawn system. But i think especially with the flags now being in the middle of the map that turning into a squid would for captures to happen much too quickly. I don't think limiting the squid form would make the game too slow either, seeing as how the maps are still relatively small. What it would do is make it difficult to capture flags if the entire opposition team (or the majority of the team) is still alive, which is exactly how CTF should play out.

Then the other issue is that for maps like Saltspray rig, where the spawn isn't accessible once you've dropped down, the gametype wouldn't exactly work, or at least the capture point would need to be somewhere else.

But a one flag variant sounds awesome. I'd like to see more gametypes added into splatoon, beyond just tower control and rainmaker.
I think having one flag would make the games very fast-paced. I love high-scoring CTF matches. But yeah SSR would present an issue. Maybe the CTF version would have a way to get back to spawn?

I still think CTF would work, but Oddball would be such a fantastic idea!

Hi_C

Full Squid
I think having one flag would make the games very fast-paced. I love high-scoring CTF matches. But yeah SSR would present an issue. Maybe the CTF version would have a way to get back to spawn?

I still think CTF would work, but Oddball would be such a fantastic idea!
I def think CTF would work as well. Objective gametypes really seem like they would be a blast to play on this engine and I hope they take some ideas from other shooters as well as come up with some unique ones too.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I def think CTF would work as well. Objective gametypes really seem like they would be a blast to play on this engine and I hope they take some ideas from other shooters as well as come up with some unique ones too.
Well so far all the game modes in the game are objective gametypes lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom