Sub Weapons in Splatoon 4

technobyte

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
So I just randomly started thinking about how the devs might handle sub weapons in splatoon 4. Splatoon 2 scrapped a few such as disruptor and seeker and reworked a few like ink mines which are no longer kill in one explosion. Unlike splatoon 2, splatoon 3 didn't see much of anything in terms of reworks, and it only introduced one new sub (angle shooter,) but every sub that was in splatoon 2 returned

I think it's safe to assume in splatoon 4, a few basic subs like splat bomb are guaranteed to get in a long with at least one new sub, but what about the others? Do you guys think every sub we have in 3 will return as is? Will there be a complete overhaul and most subs get left behind or heavily reworked? Could we even see disruptors and seekers come back in some way? Let me know your thoughts, theories, and ideas!

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
It's hard to say, a complete overhaul with brand new subs would be cool since we've had essentially the same subs for three games in a row, and the sub balance hasn't changed much. But realistically, I feel like bombs are way too important for short range weapons, and it's hard to come up with ideas beside "explosion that kills after x amount of time", so I think they're going to stay. They could do more chip damage bombs that would deal, say, 80 damage, so they'd be threatening and help short range weapons, but not be as random sometimes? But then how would object damage work? It's a tough balance.

I think they'll just add a few subs and maybe rework a few of the existing ones. Probably sprinkler, mist and dart since they're pretty underwhelming at all levels of play. I don't think subs will get any major changes, though it could be pretty cool

QuagSass

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
I'm honestly not sure if the sub weapon lineup is really going to change. It feels like the devs do like to keep the sub weapon lineup the same across games.
Curling and Auto are just the Seeker split in half, so in a way the Seeker never left. Toxic Mist is a heavily reworked Distruptor, it does all the things Distruptor of old did, but how those effects are applied is a little different. More of a lingering AOE effect than what Line Marker has going for it. Actually, you could probably say that Distruptor got cut in half as well, into Mist and Marker. Mist has the movement penalty aspect, while Marker has the enemy location aspect. That one is a bit more of a reach than the Seeker though.

Either way, my point is that while the sub weapon lineup looks different at first glance, they're actually the exact same in every game.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
fizzy and torpedo are definitely new to S2 though. But I don't see any reason for those to change in the future either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom