• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Super Jump EXPLAINED????

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
coolandgo0d.png

I seemed to be quite close in my predictions, although I never predicted that the D-Pad would be repurposed for superjumping to assigned team mates.

If you look in the trailer the way the cursor moves, the nature of it is similar to that of a gyro reticle, leading me to believe that you do indeed navigate the map by toggling over your screen and using analog stick or gyro depending on your setting. This is likely to launch specials, since there are now shortcuts to superjump to team mates. And it is indeed an overlay since the location of the squid on the map is at spawn which we can clearly see blurred out in the background.

The obvious followup questions are:
-How does one BOOYAH????????
and also
-What of beakons? Surely there is no shortcut for them, but what if beakons are no more?
-What does X do?? In the top left corner... is X no longer the jump button? Weird??????

EDIT: Cool user @Leronne provides answers to most of these:
Jump is now the B button.
No news on beakons.
Booyah and "come on" (now changed to "this way") are still there. When the map is off, the d-pad functions as a way to superjump to allies. When the map is on, it's used for the voice lines.
I really just have so many thoughts on the trailer but I will stay topical and only mention this one for now. I'm sure within the next 24 hours this subforum is going to be hopping with all sorts of speculation threads, so I'm excited to see where the discussion leads. I AM SO HYPED FOR SPLA2N.

Last edited:

Moonshoes

Inkster Jr.
You bring up a good point about the booyah and c'mon/to me commands. I honestly can't think how they can get rid of that.

Beacons also concern me. One possibility, which I don't want to think about, is that they removed it somehow, and the only reason I could think that would be drawing conclusions from that picture: the map looks rather small, so maybe beacons won't be necessary.

The superjumping situation will be interesting to learn about as we get closer to release.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
I'm not at home atm, but I'm pretty sure I saw the "booyah" and such in the video, in the lower left (as in the first one). I think X is a toggle button, like: X, then D button to jump, or X to cancel.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
It's such a simple, elegant solution.....it's amazing we all missed it and with with such overcomplicated solutions. Permanently mapped teammate buttons. Simple, reliable, and better than the touch screen. How Fleek!

On the other hand....ZOMG flipping to a dedicated map screen to see what's what....we're flying blind! It's terrifying and exhilarating at the same time :)

My wallet got lighter at the mention of "all new specials"....no more 'zooka hitbox. NO MORE 'ZOOKA HITBOX!!1

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
The obvious followup questions are:
-How does one BOOYAH????????
and also
-What of beakons? Surely there is no shortcut for them, but what if beakons are no more?
-What does X do?? In the top left corner... is X no longer the jump button? Weird??????
Jump is now the B button.
No news on beakons.
Booyah and "come on" (now changed to "this way") are still there. When the map is on, the d-pad functions as a way to superjump to allies. When the map is off, it's used for the voice lines.

Last edited:

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
At first I was confused about X being switched to map function but then I realized they switched the thumbstick to below the buttons so now B is the closest button to the thumbstick for jump.

Interesting that one of the new specials is a splatdown on a super jump so you'll get a safe landing (at least temporarily). This'll force more super jump respect if they recognize a player has this.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It is a pretty safe bet that beakons are gone.

-Super jumping is now tied to specific buttons
-game is not played with touch screen

-IF beacons were a thing, even if there was a 1 beakon per player limit, there is still potential for a maximum of 4 other jump points.
And if the 3 per player limit stuck around? 12 beacons and 3 teammates? HAH! 2 much beak-on 4 u

The small possibility that you have to hold down x and then another button to access a "beakon map" is slim, at best.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
This might help clear some things about the gameplay and controls. Some, but not all. At least, on the pro-controller.

This was very helpful!

-IF beacons were a thing, even if there was a 1 beakon per player limit, there is still potential for a maximum of 4 other jump points.
And if the 3 per player limit stuck around? 12 beacons and 3 teammates? HAH! 2 much beak-on 4 u

The small possibility that you have to hold down x and then another button to access a "beakon map" is slim, at best.
I still say it is within the realm of possibility to use your reticle to aim and maybe snap-to a beakon on the map, and then press A to jump there. This would also be the method for placing map-based specials, unless there exists any footage of map-based specials to explain this differently? I havent really dug too deep to find anything, so correct me if I am making up wild theories

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i predicted this to a T ;;

well, the only difference is i had assumed the map would be L1 (makes sense for it to be a face button instead, though, since this way is easier to look at the map while in squid form) and i didn't consider gyro control for the map cursor.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I'm wondering if that really large 'X' in the top left corner you point out highlights any beakons in play. If there are, maybe it switches the jump points from teammates to beakons.

Just a guess.

But that's IF we still actually have beakons.

Or they might have some other means to access them.

Last edited:

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I'm wondering if that really large 'X' in the top left corner you point out highlights any beakons in play. If there are, maybe it switches the jump points from teammates to beakons.

Just a guess.
after watching gameplay on youtube, X really just toggles the map on and off. The reason it shows an X in the circle when the map is up is to indicate that pressing X will close the map again.

As for beakons though, I swear that I noticed in gameplay footage, people use the reticle to jump to squids as an alternative to D-Pad shortcuts, which would make beakons very possible to jump to with little effort. In fact, I think using the reticle to jump might actually be easier than memorizing the designated squids to D-Pad directions each match, whose order is seemingly randomized each time, especially in solo queue with players constantly dropping in an out. I'd rather just aim and jump. maybe.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
This might help clear some things about the gameplay and controls. Some, but not all. At least, on the pro-controller.

Thanks for posting that. Makes me wonder if they really will ditch the beakons. But I wonder what's with the pressure gauge at the respawn point or than aesthetics. The contemporary looking in-game UI will take a bit of adjust—did the player we're following just squidbag...? Zapfish preserve us if that really starts to become common...

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
Based on the Treehouse footage, even when viewing the map, you're still able to play normally (e.g., move with the left analog stick). So with the motion-controlled (or +Control Pad-controlled) cursor, it's pretty close to approximating the dual-screen setup of the Wii U game (and maybe even better, since you don't have to face away from the TV to look at a controller). Pretty elegant solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom