Super Sea Snail supply (and 17 Splatfests to come...)

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Greetings all, today I'd like to talk about those icky little Super Sea Snails that we use to bribe some shady dude to add some slots to our gear or re-roll abilities for us.

Apparently, there are roughly about 17 more Splatfests to come, as Nintendo announced in a Direct shortly before Splatoon 2's release, that Splatfest support will last about 2 years, maybe even more.
It's simple math: If it's one Splatfest per month, then we'll see 11 more in 2018 and atleast 6 or 7 more in 2019. That is a lot of fun and moreover an opportunity to get your hands on Sea Snails.

Even more math: Given that you attend all 17 splatfests, you'll get a total of 408 Snails if you win every single one, and you'll still get 357 if you lost each, provivded that in each scenario you stopped at King rank in all 17 of the Splatfests.

Also, right now, from level 30 on, you get a Snail from Judd for every level up you perform. This can go infinitely, as you can reset your level back to 1 once you hit 99. However, if compared to Splatoon 1, where after Splatfests you'd get a Snail for 10 wins, it usually takes more than just 10 wins to level up, once you hit level 50 as every level up from then on (even if you go back to level 1*) requires a 100.000 Exp. to level up.

Now that all these facts are on the table... How do you feel about it? Do you think we'll get more Snails than we can ever hope to spend in our Sp2 "career"? Or do you think these snails are gone quicker than you think, as you have special plans to roll/complete a ton of gear?

Padre

Pro Squid
I already have enough. Of course there might be some gear later I want, but I doubt it. They are good for extra chunks sure.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Mine are always gone in a flash. They're amazing for creating more opportunities with builds by having more 3 slot gear, and also if I use all 24 on rerolling, then I'll have 72 more chunks than I did before, seeing as you'd get 3 each time.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I have near 100 sitting in my inventory, i think I'm good for the most part. Haven't bothered with re-rolls so far because it's still mostly RNG-dependent on what chunks you're gonna get.

I only ever use them when i really need to.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
With the addition of ability chunks, I see no need for re-rolling. And given that I only use a few select items, I'll just use the snails to add slots. So I think there's more than enough to use. Once the Splatfests end, I'm sure there will be a patch that adds in the win-streak reward from Splatoon 1. I found it pretty easy to get a snail with that system.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I feel no attachment to snails anymore now that I have a slow, steady, and infinite supply. This splatfest's snails were used to unlock slots on future pures and then burned for easy chunks via re-rolls. As long as you play regularly you'll get a snail every couple of days, so go wild, folks!

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I feel no attachment to snails anymore now that I have a slow, steady, and infinite supply. This splatfest's snails were used to unlock slots on future pures and then burned for easy chunks via re-rolls. As long as you play regularly you'll get a snail every couple of days, so go wild, folks!
Yeah this is what I did. I had 25 and spent about 10 on increasing slots and then rerolled the rest of them for a bunch of chunks. I'm happy with how often you get snails. I mean obviously I wish you got more but it's fine. I get a tad triggered when I see videos of people on youtube who have like 50 snails. Like what are you waiting for? They're meant to be used. They don't really increase in value after playing another 50 hours. Once you start making more builds then that's when you should use them for chunks and more 3 slot gear.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Thanks to all for the replies so far. Very interesting to see what the playerbase thinks and how you hold it with your snails.

Personally, I also like to invest my Snails in pures and extra slots for them as Dessgeega does. And like Mar$el, I speed up that farming by blowing them on re-rolls and amass chunks.
Back in the day in the first game, I'd hold onto my Snails and "collected" them. But I came to realize I may aswell spend them and profit from good gear to give me the extra push for good play.

But I do understand the hamster-kind of players. It's a good thing to know you're at 100+ Snails. Gives you a safe feeling you can just instantly unlock a special designed piece of gear, should you ever need it.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I see your point about the snail hoarders, Lix... but I also agree with Mar$el. I saw someone in another thread with 100 snails and was like "You can instantly make a full set of pures, ABUSE YOUR PILE!" :P

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Yeah this is what I did. I had 25 and spent about 10 on increasing slots and then rerolled the rest of them for a bunch of chunks. I'm happy with how often you get snails. I mean obviously I wish you got more but it's fine. I get a tad triggered when I see videos of people on youtube who have like 50 snails. Like what are you waiting for? They're meant to be used. They don't really increase in value after playing another 50 hours. Once you start making more builds then that's when you should use them for chunks and more 3 slot gear.
I fall into this category of players that hoard their sea snails. I only use them for increasing slots and I have around 40 saved up right now. I think that the reason I do this is because I like the feeling of having the ability to just get a pure whenever I want. I know that I should probably use them now, but I've found in RPG's that my interest with the game fades as I max out characters and what-not. It also makes me feel like I'm some kind of squid mafia member.
"You need some extra sea snails? I've got them. All I need in return is a few of those galactic seanwiches and we're all good."

Reactions: LiX

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I use my snails a lot. My ideal is to keep 15, and use the rest for rerolling for quick chunks. Sadly the ideal never happens, and I get in the gambling spirit to reroll until I get to 5. After that, there's a bunch of gear I suddenly find a use for, and use up the rest of my snails. Then I chew at the bit for my next level up like an addict.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
When you reroll a piece of gear, are the chunks that were previously on it still collected or do they get scrubbed away?
I have 62 snails right now... I used to use them regularly to increase slots on gear, but I have most of my favourite gear already, so it's going much more slowly now. I have only rerolled once, and got three perfect slots of what I wanted. :D Maybe that's why I haven't done it since--it doesn't get better than that. ;)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
When you reroll a piece of gear, are the chunks that were previously on it still collected or do they get scrubbed away?
I have 62 snails right now... I used to use them regularly to increase slots on gear, but I have most of my favourite gear already, so it's going much more slowly now. I have only rerolled once, and got three perfect slots of what I wanted. :D Maybe that's why I haven't done it since--it doesn't get better than that. ;)
You get the chunks that were previously on the gear every time you re-roll, so you're sitting on 186 potential chunks with those snails ;)

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I mostly use them to add slots, actually, and I only have about 8 now, thanks to the fact that I didn't get to participate in the last fest.

Overall, I pretty much never re-roll, but there's going to be a day where I don't need to increase any more slots (TBH, I have way to many pieces of gear I already added slots on but am not doing anything with), so I think there's basically just the right amount.

Though I doubt we'll see 17 more fests. If the current pacing persists, we will not quite get there, and in S1, the frequency of fests only decreased with time.

thundasi

Senior Squid
So at *1 do you get a sea snail every level or do you have to do the above 30 thing again?

Edit: lvl 74 and since this last Action/comedy i melted half in maxing out gear spaces and actually find myself at a loss with what to use them on. The level increase helped alot. The struggle was real before that though.

Last edited:

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Aw I feel sad that one day Splatfests are gonna come to an end. I know it’s like 17 more but it reminds me of when it ended for S1

Hopefully there’ll be a Splatoon 3 and the party will just keep on rolling :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom