Super Sea Snails: how will we get them?

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
So we know we can get a super sea snail from being on the winning side of splat fest, but will there be any other ways? I'm hoping there are, maybe certain bosses drop them, or Nintendo hands them out through more frequent events, or even just having them as a high level, high cost shop item.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
The side that wins gets a snail, but I am sure that you will get more by how well you rep your side. So even if you lose, you will get a number of snails. Pretty sure this is going to be the case.

kinetik07

Senior Squid
From what I understand, if there is only the one way to get the snails, they are a waste to use.

It would probably be easier to wait for a store to have the gear you want with the 3 slots in it, or wait for someone to show up with 3 slots and order their gear.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
So we know we can get a super sea snail from being on the winning side of splat fest, but will there be any other ways? I'm hoping there are, maybe certain bosses drop them, or Nintendo hands them out through more frequent events, or even just having them as a high level, high cost shop item.
They mentioned how player 1 currency and items are different so people aren't grinding on the single player to quickly upgrade their inkling for online.
From what I understand, if there is only the one way to get the snails, they are a waste to use.

It would probably be easier to wait for a store to have the gear you want with the 3 slots in it, or wait for someone to show up with 3 slots and order their gear.
I believe the sea snails unlock those ? mark slots and they do a roulette thing and land on a randomized ability and then you can actually re-roll the ability if you don't like it at the cost of another sea snail. The cheaper items with only one ? slot will only ever have the one main ability that is assigned and then the one random.

DaBoss

Pro Squid
I believe the sea snails unlock those ? mark slots and they do a roulette thing and land on a randomized ability and then you can actually re-roll the ability if you don't like it at the cost of another sea snail. The cheaper items with only one ? slot will only ever have the one main ability that is assigned and then the one random.
That's not how you get sub-abilities. You get it by leveling up your gear which occurs while you're using it and get enough EXP. Once you get enough EXP, this happens:

If you don't like the sub-ability it gives, then you can change it with a Super Sea Snail.

@kinetik07 is saying that it would be best to just go after gear with the main ability you want and has 3 stars (3 sub-ability slots) and just use your Super Sea Snails for just re-rolling ability and not for unlocking slots. I would agree, but I think a lot of people, myself included, want to make our inklings stylish. :p

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
That's not how you get sub-abilities. You get it by leveling up your gear which occurs while you're using it and get enough EXP. Once you get enough EXP, this happens:

If you don't like the sub-ability it gives, then you can change it with a Super Sea Snail.

@kinetik07 is saying that it would be best to just go after gear with the main ability you want and has 3 stars (3 sub-ability slots) and just use your Super Sea Snails for just re-rolling ability and not for unlocking slots. I would agree, but I think a lot of people, myself included, want to make our inklings stylish. :p
Wait, so you NEED the sea snail to reroll? We'll that is good and bad. Bad for people who miss out on Splatfests, but good since it is impossible to get an ideal loadout.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Even though Splatfests have been revealed to be how we acquire Super Sea Snails, I'm wondering if there are any other game modes or events that we could look forward to get the Sea Snails.

lightdasher

Pro Squid
Where are you pulling all this random info from? Super Sea Snails just add another ability slot

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Where are you pulling all this random info from? Super Sea Snails just add another ability slot
The direct said super sea snails could be used to re-roll the random abilities or could be used to add an ability slot. I think it said you'd re-roll ALL of the abilities but it was kind of unclear on that, it'd make it way harder to optimize that way but that might be a good thing.

lightdasher

Pro Squid
The direct said super sea snails could be used to re-roll the random abilities or could be used to add an ability slot. I think it said you'd re-roll ALL of the abilities but it was kind of unclear on that, it'd make it way harder to optimize that way but that might be a good thing.

You sure? (16m50s if the video doesn't start you there)

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Super Sea Snails do also re-roll a single ability slot. It was in the GameXplain stream.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Where does it say that only the winning side gets snails?
From what I can see, the NA direct only said that snails would be awarded based on the faction 'level' you achieve (ex. Cat Fangirl, Cat Fiend) , which they stated goes up based on how many points you earn while playing and doesn't seem related whether or not your team actually wins the Splatfest.

It would more sense that snails are awarded based on how much you participate in the event rather than exclusively to the winning team, since that would leave roughly half the playerbase feeling left out and screwed over. If only the winning team gets snails, inevitably all the people that care about getting snails would coordinate beforehand and agree to stack one side of the event to make sure they win. That would be no fun.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord

That's good then, it is a weird system especially when they try and explain it as quickly as possible and I am sure it will make more sense when it is released.

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
Where does it say that only the winning side gets snails?
From what I can see, the NA direct only said that snails would be awarded based on the faction 'level' you achieve (ex. Cat Fangirl, Cat Fiend) , which they stated goes up based on how many points you earn while playing and doesn't seem related whether or not your team actually wins the Splatfest.

It would more sense that snails are awarded based on how much you participate in the event rather than exclusively to the winning team, since that would leave roughly half the playerbase feeling left out and screwed over. If only the winning team gets snails, inevitably all the people that care about getting snails would coordinate beforehand and agree to stack one side of the event to make sure they win. That would be no fun.
I thought it was you get a certain amount for how much you contributed to your team, and if your team wins, you get one extra snail.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Even though Splatfests have been revealed to be how we acquire Super Sea Snails, I'm wondering if there are any other game modes or events that we could look forward to get the Sea Snails.
I really hope there would be. It'll be a bit annoying if they are only attainable during Splatfests.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well there's the problem, the UK version doesn't show it but the US one does!

Right at 17:35 he says "Or I can reroll abilities on items wif full slots!"
Except that is so unclear as that it could also be interpreted as, "if you don't have a super sea snail, you could still re-roll abilities for free if you want." And the direct doesn't really help clear that up.

Aegis

Senior Squid
NNID
ritzumii
Super Sea Snails do also re-roll a single ability slot. It was in the GameXplain stream.
It was in the direct. Spyke can only reroll gear where all ability slots are unlocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom