• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Purely Splatoon 1

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I know I'm not the only one who has noticed this, but there hasn't been a thread pointing this out.

Anyway, all the Splatoon and Inkling content in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is strictly from the first Splatoon; the promotional and (from what I've heard) in game music is all from the first game only, the weapons / ink tank is from that of the first game, no clothes introduced in Splatoon 2 are used (including pants) and only the original girl and boy hairstyles are avaliable. The Inklings even only use the sound effects that were in Splatoon 1, and the Final Smash is of course the Killer Wail. The only evidence that Splatoon 2 even exists is that Mini Judd shows up in Moray Towers.

What does everyone think, if anyone has an opinion on this anyway. Somebody had said that all the Splatoon stuff is only from Splatoon 1 because Splatoon 2 wasn't out when the game started development and they finished / almost finished the Inkling already, which is probably true, but I would like to think the Super Smash Brothers development team has good taste. :p

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I mean, Odyssey wasn't out until October, and there's a New Donk City stage, plus an outfit from that game, and Cappy and the Metro Kingdom's Purple coins make an appearance in Mario's moveset. So obviously that's not the full story. Especially since Splatoon 2 was already shown off in January of 2017 so they have had enough time to add some hair and gear models to the game.

Smash is just very inconsistent with things like this. Sometimes, they acknowledge very recent games. Like when they added Roy to Melee before FE6 was out. Or when Sakurai decided to add Greninja to Smash 4 even though he had to base him solely off concept art.

Other times, it takes until Smash 4 to see Mario Galaxy related stuff (even though they could've easily thrown in some music last-minute). Or they don't have Luigi's up-to-date voice for Melee. It's just really weird.

Maybe there'll be some Splatoon 2 (non-remixed) music and trophies from Splatoon 2. But it's weird that seemingly nothing else shown so far is Splatoon 2 related. Especially since the series has become so much richer with all the stuff added in Splatoon 2.

Cephalobro

It's more likely that they already finished the Splatoon stuff during the game's development when Nintendo was still in the Wii U era, then moved on to implement stuff from other series. Smash can sometimes be weird with stuff like that. Heck, just now they finally changed Link's design from his Twilight Princess appearance even though they could've used his Skyward Sword appearance just as easily.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Heck, just now they finally changed Link's design from his Twilight Princess appearance even though they could've used his Skyward Sword appearance just as easily.
There was not a Skyward Sword version of Ganondorf though, and it's no secret that Twilight Princess was more well received than Skyward Sword.

@MINKUKEL brings up a great point with Super Mario Odyssey related content... It's probably the Smash Bros. team thinking that only using Splatoon 1 stuff is the "correct" thing to do; the original Splattershot is the most iconic weapon of the Splatoon series, for example, and it would be strange if they were to use this in conjunction with hairstyles introduced in Splatoon 2.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They could've done 4 Inklings with S1 weapons and 4 with S2 weapons. Or just give all of them S1 or S2 weapons. I mean, it doesn't really matter. Mario uses Cappy, the Super Cape and Fludd, which are all from completely different games. I don't see why they can't mix and match for Splatoon.

With Villager, every skin is based off pre-NL AC, but that sorta makes sense. Inklings share the same design in both games, and the weapons and hairstyle changes wouldn't change anything.

And the Smash team wouldn't have an opinion about whether or not it's more 'correct' to have only Splatoon 1 things. At least not in the sense that one is better or more 'classic' or something.

It's more likely that they already finished the Splatoon stuff during the game's development when Nintendo was still in the Wii U era, then moved on to implement stuff from other series.
Well, they had a long, long time to add just a few aesthetic things. Things that shouldn't conflict with debugging and balancing. The Smash dev team would also obviously have access to information about Splatoon 2 while that was still in development. So, they must've been aware of some in-development information about Splatoon 2 for a long time too.

Link in SSB4 was kind of meant as a mix between TP and SS Link, but kind of refined into its own thing. Like how SSBB/SSB4/SSBU Sheik isn't from any particular game.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I would like to think the Super Smash Brothers development team has good taste. :p
I knew before i entered this thread that this was the real reason you made this topic, bravo
Believe me, they lost all good taste when they left out Waluigi, again. My smash experience just isn't complete without an 8-player chorus of Waluigis brawling and WAH-ing across the map.

But really, i can imagine that once Splatoon 1 became a surprise success they immediately wanted to make Inklings DLC characters but they couldn't manage it due to time constraints or they intentionally got left out for the next game. So they presumably re-used whatever they had left over in development and then finished the characters for the sequel. Hence the re-used assets, it could be possible that Inklings as a character have been on the backburner for a long time now.

But i can imagine S2 will still get some representation in the form of trophies, at least.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I knew before i entered this thread that this was the real reason you made this topic, bravo
I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring light to the matter anyway...

We're getting a new smash and THIS is what you decide to talk about?!?
This isn't Smashboards though. While I am talking about Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, I figure Splatoon's representation in the game would be relevant here. However I suppose you can talk about anything in general discusion.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The game has been in development since late 2015 or so, so it makes sense they would focus on Splatoon 1 stuff. I don't mind it, Inklings look great, I just wish we go at least the two Inkling outfits from the Splatoon 2 box art. That girl squid looks fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom