• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Support Roles?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I may just be being an idiot, but what would you guys define as being a support in Splatoon?
A variety of things could count as support:

- Focusing on map control instead of direct confrontation.
- Using a build that seeks to (near) constantly have echolocator up
- Throwing disruptors/point sensors more than splatting
- Using long range weapons for pressuring primarily (keep enemies out of areas without needing to splat them)
- Building up inkstrikes for "air support" to cover your allies instead of just stealing turf somewhere random
- Using splat walls to funnel enemies into waiting teammates

Sometimes it is more about intention and playstyle than weapon or gear loadout.

Silentium

Senior Squid
A variety of things could count as support:

- Focusing on map control instead of direct confrontation.
- Using a build that seeks to (near) constantly have echolocator up
- Throwing disruptors/point sensors more than splatting
- Using long range weapons for pressuring primarily (keep enemies out of areas without needing to splat them)
- Building up inkstrikes for "air support" to cover your allies instead of just stealing turf somewhere random
- Using splat walls to funnel enemies into waiting teammates

Sometimes it is more about intention and playstyle than weapon or gear loadout.
Ahh I see. It's more about helping others getting the objective accomplished and strengthen the team as a whole, rather than being being rambo.
I think I may have done a lot of supporting. I played a lot of the dual squelcher and dynamo roller before. I would bunker down in an area and keep people out, albeit being aggressive and racking up the kill count.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Ahh I see. It's more about helping others getting the objective accomplished and strengthen the team as a whole, rather than being being rambo.
I think I may have done a lot of supporting. I played a lot of the dual squelcher and dynamo roller before. I would bunker down in an area and keep people out, albeit being aggressive and racking up the kill count.
Pretty much, we don't tend to be the top two members, but we more often than not are the most important members of the team. It's an exceptionally rewarding role, at least for me. There are plenty of supportive weapons that can be more offensive though, so it's not an exclusively defensive role, just far more defensive weapons have the loadout that allows it to be a supportive weapon. In a game where damn near everyone is set on being an offensive monster, it's good to have a few of us sitting in the back to prevent others from pushing too hard, often being the deciding factor in games.

Lol, we don't get the recognition we deserve!
In all honesty, it's fun and I REALLY enjoy it.

Silentium

Senior Squid
Maybe when I jump back into Splatoon I'll look supportive rolls. It may be tricky for me since I'm usually one of those aggressive monsters, but as I've said before, I've done plenty of supportive maneuvers before. I've tried out support in other games before, so it's not an alien concept to me.

For supportive weapons, what are some of your favorites that you use?

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
All of the weapons already mentioned in this thread probably have some of the most merit as support weapons, but pretty much anything with above average inking capabilities and/or range can perform a support role in some form or another. You might even be support just by using lots of team beneficial specials like Bubbler or Echolocator.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
For supportive weapons, what are some of your favorites that you use?
The dual squelchers are both very support oriented.

The jet squelcher and heavy splattling are also primarily support. Really good range for suppression fire and ink strike for that "air strike" I mentioned.

The dynamo is basically the support roller.

You can play support with the custom splattershot jr while still maintaining an aggressive playstyle.

A splattershot with lots of bomb range and ink recovery can be used as support by applying burst bomb pressure from range. This is a good flex option.

Likewise, the vanilla .96 is a great flex support weapon. Great range for suppression. Great splat time for aggressive play. Sprinkler for map control and to help charge the echolocator (the best support special).

Silentium

Senior Squid
Thanks for the suggestions Tim and Quilava. Many of the long ranged weapons I have used quite often, so I'm no stranger to those. The short ranged ones used for support are a new idea to me, however. I'll have to look into it more.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
Another one not commonly mentioned are the Aerosprays. One has Seekers and the other has Inkstrike, both are incredible at inking turf, and are decent at holding a point if they have room. They are somewhat difficult though as you basically have to be right on top of someone to splat them.

Kayura05

Inkster Jr.
I will second (or third) the Heavy Splatling as a support weapon. I prefer the original because I can support my team with Splash walls and Inkstrikes. I have been known to feed a team charger Splash Walls on maps like Moray Towers when we have an opposing charger trying to take him out. On maps like those, staying high can help you keep areas of the map locked down so your team can safely advance or fight for mid.

Like it was mentioned above, you won't always be on the top of the results screen but preventing the enemy team from reclaiming areas (Saltspray Rig) can win your team the match every time.

On the flipside of the coin you can play support by watching Charger and Splatling players backs for them as they advance across a map. This can be done with any weapon you are good with. As far gear goes, you can never go wrong with anything that saves or builds up your ink.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Really, no mention of the Hydra Splatling? I mean I know it's got a decently high Learning curve but it's still an awesome support weapon. Its suppression is simply unmatched, and it's the only Splatling with Echolocator, which is easy to build with a combination of Charge Up and Ink Savers. I think people undermine just how amazing the Hydra is at keeping the opponent away from the objective, at least long enough for your team mates to get in there and take them out. This is nothing new, the Hydra doesn't get the recognition it deserves, but it most certainly is an amazing Support Weapon, at least in my hands. Like I said, it's not quite a weapon you can just pick up and be successful with, you have to get used to the weapon but when you do, you'll have a hard time putting it down.

I love that beast, and I will never put it down.
Moose ♥ Hydra
2015 - Forever

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Really, no mention of the Hydra Splatling? I mean I know it's got a decently high Learning curve but it's still an awesome support weapon. Its suppression is simply unmatched, and it's the only Splatling with Echolocator, which is easy to build with a combination of Charge Up and Ink Savers. I think people undermine just how amazing the Hydra is at keeping the opponent away from the objective, at least long enough for your team mates to get in there and take them out. This is nothing new, the Hydra doesn't get the recognition it deserves, but it most certainly is an amazing Support Weapon, at least in my hands. Like I said, it's not quite a weapon you can just pick up and be successful with, you have to get used to the weapon but when you do, you'll have a hard time putting it down.

Moose ♥ Hydra
2015 - Forever
I did say that both of the Hydra Splatlings can work as support, although I would only trully suggest them on the tallest maps (like Bluefin Depot or Arowana Mall) to further improve its ranged capabilities

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
If you can't aggro with the Mini, then is it really worthwhile as a support weapon? You're giving up a lot of range for that added rev up boost.
Not really. The Zink is better for mid range thanks to disruptors. I would never recommend using the Vanilla as you should just use the Tentatek since it's superior in every way. With that said, the other Splatlings are supportive bar maybe the Heavy Deco, that one is a weird case but it is still a supportive weapon thanks to its range and point sensors. Heavy and Hydra would be the way to go though. Hydra takes a lot more getting used to than the Heavy though.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander

Moose ♥ Hydra
2015 - Forever
I think it's more because the Heavy has been out longer, so more people are familiar with it. It also has walls, which I am hesitant to give up even if they are nerfed.They're just so handy for covering teammates, slowing enemies down, and buying time to charge up a salvo. I would definitely trade Ink Strikes for Echo though.

Silentium

Senior Squid
So I tried out supporting today. I went back to my original dual squelcher and dynamo roller roots, and that worked out well. I tried out the splatlings, and I kind of like it so far. The range and firepower are superb, but I have to get used to keeping my distance as much as possible; can't be as aggressive with the splatlings as with the sqelcher and dynamo. I'm so used to the flexibility of the squelcher and dynamo, where I can risk a close encounter to nag someone that's been hard to get. Not really possible with the splatlings. It sure is much better if you want to lock an area down, however.

And yea, the mini's aren't that good. You are definitely better using a tentatek instead.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I think it's more because the Heavy has been out longer, so more people are familiar with it. It also has walls, which I am hesitant to give up even if they are nerfed.They're just so handy for covering teammates, slowing enemies down, and buying time to charge up a salvo. I would definitely trade Ink Strikes for Echo though.
Yea, that can play a part, however, those walls are actually more what I'm speaking about. Splash Walls allow the Heavy to support its team mates in a different way. Hydra because of its slow as hell charge, and sizable hindrance on mobility requires you to stay in the back. Heavy can get closer to the action, walls, its quick charge time and the minor drop in speed allow it to. Hydra works like a charger, in the sense that it's sitting in the back watching over its team mates and pushing them back or taking them out before they get too close. Like I've said previously, so many people in this game, not to include you per se, are too aggressive and will dive head first into combat. The Hydra absolutely cannot do that, ever, and thus requires more time and effort to get the hang of.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
I don't personally think that the Zink is actually all that bad of a weapon. Granted, it will play differently than other Splatlings, but it works well at mid range and is superb for helping team mates take out enemies via disruptor and ground covering. Swooping in to save the day with a Bubbler is also extremely satisfying. However you have to pay a lot closer attention to map control, which is something I think other splatlings might not be as used to. This might be where the dislike comes from? I don't know. I haven't used this weapon a ton, so don't take my word for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom