Supporting Splatoon Competitively

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
It just feels like this is a discussion on how to ride a bicycle. This is something that progresses naturally if people like the game. People don't make artificial videos supporting games unless they're shills. All of these things you guys are talking about...they're things people do when they like a game. No one needs to be told to make Youtube content or support the game they like.

It's something to keep in the back of your mind sure. But it's something people seem to worry about without a reason to imo.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It just feels like this is a discussion on how to ride a bicycle. This is something that progresses naturally if people like the game. People don't make artificial videos supporting games unless they're shills. All of these things you guys are talking about...they're things people do when they like a game. No one needs to be told to make Youtube content or support the game they like.

It's something to keep in the back of your mind sure. But it's something people seem to worry about without a reason to imo.
Sure, that sounds like it is the obvious thing to happen...but then look at smash 4. Sure, I play it and love it, and so do many others. But there is no podcasts, not really many streamers, not that many truly hype montages (like actual competitive ones not LOL for glory). We don't really get new people anymore. Because of that, the opposition, the people saying smash 4 will die, are very loud. It can be incredibly demoralizing to some people.

This is also compounded by the fact that Zer0 seems to be the only voice of wisdom to a lot of people.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Sure, that sounds like it is the obvious thing to happen...but then look at smash 4. Sure, I play it and love it, and so do many others. But there is no podcasts, not really many streamers, not that many truly hype montages (like actual competitive ones not LOL for glory). We don't really get new people anymore. Because of that, the opposition, the people saying smash 4 will die, are very loud. It can be incredibly demoralizing to some people.

This is also compounded by the fact that Zer0 seems to be the only voice of wisdom to a lot of people.
I'll admit I'm not very well versed in the development of competitive Smash 4, but I do know there are bunch of factors in the Smash community that could be playing a role in it. There's the entire Melee scene, the Project M scene, and a Brawl scene that left a bad taste in people's mouths. Smash 4 is, I imagine, unique because of that. It doesn't have just the struggle of becoming popular, it is in direct competition with other games in the franchise and everything that comes with that plays a role. Smash Bros. has an enormous following already so what Smash 4 is really doing is trying to prove itself as that game that everyone wants to play...and really, some people don't want to and will play what they want.

Splatoon is a new property with no direct competition in terms of genre, at least on a Nintendo platform. Even then, Splatoon is incredibly unique...there isn't an existing franchise to compare it to exactly, and doesn't have a game before it to compare to. It is a fresh idea and people are seemingly excited for it. The way I'm looking at it, it really doesn't have anywhere to go but up.

And like I said, it's not like this is something you want to disregard and not think about. It just seems to me like it's something you look at in a few months and think about, like you're doing with Smash 4, not something you preemptively plan. I saw the same kind of things said about Smash 4 before launch, but yet what was it, just this week that somebody bothered to go into training for an hour and figure out how DI works and make a video about it? Some of it comes from people just talking and not acting. gotta walk the talk ok cliche phrases are great

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
Second off is the idea of supporting. Getting people to play the game and have tournament is all nice and all. But we will need more then that. We are going to need ways of getting people hype. Montages, podcasts, dedicated channels websites, tournaments. I mean, it isn't just about getting the people who like the game to continue liking it, it is also about bringing all the new people in. Getting them interested. But with that said, yes, there is a degree of "getting along," that has to be had.
You'll see some stuff from a group of organizers in day or so that is what you're asking for. We're working on getting content creators partnered with the site admins. This is happening, rest assured.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
You guys are worrying about nothing really. There will be a scene come August. Splatoon will never work in person, but online will be very active. Trust me.

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
Second off is the idea of supporting. Getting people to play the game and have tournament is all nice and all. But we will need more then that. We are going to need ways of getting people hype. Montages, podcasts, dedicated channels websites, tournaments. I mean, it isn't just about getting the people who like the game to continue liking it, it is also about bringing all the new people in. Getting them interested. But with that said, yes, there is a degree of "getting along," that has to be had.
Yup. If people who love Splatoon host channels, streams, etc. then the love will grow beyond them.

I would be down, but I just don't have the capabilities right now unfortunately.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
I think the game will stay "alive" for like ~5 years. People will keep playing it even after all the updates came out

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You guys are worrying about nothing really. There will be a scene come August. Splatoon will never work in person, but online will be very active. Trust me.
That is just it. A tournament is something it kinda needs. Something for people to watch and get hyped over and watch streams of. The sponsors and spectators are what pay for things like tournaments. And they want ti see things live at tournaments. Hear the commentators get excited as well. Online will be very active of course like you said, but it would be very hard to get people to join off isolated events.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
That is just it. A tournament is something it kinda needs. Something for people to watch and get hyped over and watch streams of. The sponsors and spectators are what pay for things like tournaments. And they want ti see things live at tournaments. Hear the commentators get excited as well. Online will be very active of course like you said, but it would be very hard to get people to join off isolated events.
You don't need to be esports for a competitive community to strive.

Nabbit

Inkling
NNID
Nabbitz
I think one of the best things to help the game keep steady exposure and being competitive is to stream. Create clans and show how this game can develop while making it seem fun to casuals.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
I'm going to do my best to pump out loads of high quality content. Fingers crossed that this community grows strong and stays that way.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I have high hopes in having Splatoon tournaments being officially sponsored. I know us at MKBoards managed to get the "Mario Kart World Cup" to be sponsored by big name gaming companies such as Elgato, and Sanshee. With Splatoon being a shooter, its bound to have a large following.

Hi_C

Full Squid
I have high hopes in having Splatoon tournaments being officially sponsored. I know us at MKBoards managed to get the "Mario Kart World Cup" to be sponsored by big name gaming companies such as Elgato, and Sanshee. With Splatoon being a shooter, its bound to have a large following.

This is interesting to me because Mario Kart from my little experiences with it seems like the last thing from a competitive game. For it to have a pretty large size tournament give some hope because Splatoon clearly is designed focused on competitive play. It will be interesting to see if top eSports teams actually get involved in something like this. Not saying that it is needed but it would be very cool to see some more Nintendo rep in the eSports world.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So heres a thought. Smash 4 is currently having Zer0 act like the "bad guy." Melee also had Leffen.

"Bad guys" provide a lot of hype for things like Smash and the idea of taking them down gets people excited. So do you guys think that would help with this kind of game?

I'm of course not saying we need it at the moment, but I'm saying would it at least help bring in the support in this kind of game?

Hi_C

Full Squid
So heres a thought. Smash 4 is currently having Zer0 act like the "bad guy." Melee also had Leffen.

"Bad guys" provide a lot of hype for things like Smash and the idea of taking them down gets people excited. So do you guys think that would help with this kind of game?

I'm of course not saying we need it at the moment, but I'm saying would it at least help bring in the support in this kind of game?
Well, I think this game is going to be a lot different than Smash in the sense that it is more focused on teamwork. I do think however that the personalities and drama that surronds Smash at times does help bring in people and make events more hype. I think that eventually if the game takes off competitively that someone is going to fill that bad guy role for sure.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I believe it absolutely can. It drives people to work harder to beat this 'bad guy'. Which in turn makes the community a lot more interesting. I admire what ZeRo has sparked with his current 'acts', more competition.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
From what I can tell a bunch of competitive communities usually have a few people who act as the Heel for entertainment sake. I think phillipino champ(I might have spelled that wrong) does this in the Marvel VS community but is actually a pretty cool guy. It's possible this could be good for keeping people watching but it sounds to me to be something that should be waited until we have a more concrete hold in competitive play.
Having people acting like Heels straight out of the gate would likely make people think of the entire community that way

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
with arguments about the application of various corner cases and techniques like splatdashes and splatterhopping, the splatoon community is off to a really peculiar start with its competitive community. honestly i don't think i've ever seen a scene with players looking at an obvious entry-level technique like these and saying "no. i don't see how this is useful at all."

however, i'm very confident in this game going forward. there's almost 2,000 users registered on squidboards and a lot of players looking to get invested in playing at a higher skill level, and the game is just in its pre-release period. the developers are also looking to let players plunge into the game however they want with features like private lobbies coming out in august, 2 months after its launch. although it's disappointing that such a feature isn't already present in the game is disappointing and players might burn out before we get to play around with it, and it suggests that splatoon is being rushed out the door for a Q2 release window, it's good to see the devs having an auspicious work ethic for the game. they're really obviously fans of their own creation, which is something you don't see a lot outside of companies like bungie or valve.

ultimately, if melee can survive 14 years just on the merit of being a good game, without any kind of support from the developers and publisher and a venomous attitude against it from the general fgc, i think splatoon can get by just fine. obviously they're very different situations - melee is a fighting game with its core gameplay being local multiplayer and can probably outlive the heat death of the universe, and splatoon at its heart is an online experience and will only as live as long as its servers are up, it's just an example that if a game is good and has passionate players, it will survive, if not thrive

side note: as annoying and forced as the YOU'RE A KID NOW/YOU'RE A SQUID NOW meme is, it'll at least attract attention to splatoon from stream monsters and other such communities who just revel in tired jokes. i guess that's a curt point, but it's just an example of how easy it is to get other communities interested in our game.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta

lol

I want to play a game not pretend to be a wrestler. We have enough actual ****heads who play Nintendo games online that pretending to be a heel will just have them categorized with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom