• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Supposedly reliable Nintendo NX leak

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Sometimes I wonder why it's always Nintendo that gets their stuff leaked out.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Sometimes I wonder why it's always Nintendo that gets their stuff leaked out.
Hype is always out of control with Nintendo projects. People never really no what to expect, for better or worse, unlike with other tech companies who just stick to "the same thing but better" formula thats worked over the past 20+ years.

It is kinda irritating tbh. E3 is like 3 months away and we can't even relax until they make the official announcement? mehhh

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
One of the bullets from that article (emphasis mine) said:
  • The closest in terms of “power” it gets to is the Xbox One, but an app idea is Wii U x50 and Playstation Vita x100. The key is that all the tech is exactly the same hardware layout as the PS4 and Xbox One which then combine it with the OS’s strong emulation functions and compiler means that any game that can run of a Playstation 4 or Xbox One can easily run on the NX with near-zero modification to the original source code, especially if it runs in Android OS or Unreal Engine 4. This is allegedly why Nintendo has given out the dev kits so late, as one 3rd Party dev put it “It’s the easiest device we’ve ever developed for. You just take your code, compile it and it works.”
That bolded part is what's sticking to me. It reeks of wishful thinking.
Now, I know as much about VG tech and the industry as a mushroom, so don't quote me on this. But doesn't Nintendo usually use in-house stuff to make their consoles? (At least, I faintly recall hearing something about 3rd-parties being leery about developing for the Wii U because of fundamental hardware differences, which I think was also the reason for the N64's downfall.)

Looking through the comments, I see one guy claiming that all this stuff was posted on 4chan back in December. So either this Geno fella's a phony, or he was the one who posted it on 4chan and is just repeating himself.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
That bolded part is what's sticking to me. It reeks of wishful thinking.
Now, I know as much about VG tech and the industry as a mushroom, so don't quote me on this. But doesn't Nintendo usually use in-house stuff to make their consoles? (At least, I faintly recall hearing something about 3rd-parties being leery about developing for the Wii U because of fundamental hardware differences, which I think was also the reason for the N64's downfall.)

Looking through the comments, I see one guy claiming that all this stuff was posted on 4chan back in December. So either this Geno fella's a phony, or he was the one who posted it on 4chan and is just repeating himself.
The comment said it was some of the stuff, but other stuff from the 4chan post was left out. But being completely real here, even if this stuff was said in a 4chan post (probably not verbatim), all of it are common speculations people have made countless times. Mostly just things intended to "confirm" (using this term loosely) our suspicions. Geno DOES have a reliable track record, and I personally remember him from the Pokemon leaks. But NX is a little higher profile than a Pokemon game. Still, to stake his good reputation by attaching his name to un-backed claims just seems stupid, which is why I feel there is some legitimacy to this rumor.

All that said, it isn't groundbreaking, and does seem fanboyish to claim a portable device has strength comparable to the massive power-sucking PS4 and Xbone. However, in a 2014 interview, Miyamoto shared his desires for Nintendo to distance itself from the casual crowd. Given that this interview coincides with the early months of NX development, the type of hardware and ease of 3rd party support claimed in this "leak" would kind of make sense within the framework of Miyamoto's proposal. Of course this is all conjecture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom