TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES!!!!

NumberOneAries

Your Favorite Octoling's Favorite Octoling
Premium
Pronouns
They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4468-2079-9300
I saw this post on Twitter about some wrist and finger exercises y'all can do to prevent wrist pain, carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc. Last thing we need is in 40 years to tell our doctors we have joint issues from playing Splatoon 😭

Also, if u already have these issues, then u should probably get a compression sleeve to help with it! U can find them on Amazon, or probably at Walmart or Target if u don't wanna give money to Jeffrey
1000009540.jpg

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i love this graphic so much i wish the original artist sold prints of it so i could hang it on my wall to reference

i've been an artist who NEVER stretched for years and years before i started playing splatoon and added stretching to my pre-gaming routine. i'm not diagnosed with any issues but my hands and wrists sure do hurt sometimes. i wonder if i'd benefit from getting some compressive gloves?
i'm working on adding stretching to my pre-drawing routine too. years long bad habits are hard to break okay

anyway as i once said to an irl i convinced to try splatoon: carpal tunnel does not discriminate between the dirty casuals and the sweaty tryhards. Do Your Stretches.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Never expected to actually need this when I was younger but I really think these could be useful for me now. I've already been stretching them but I didn't know about any wrist exercises so I'll probably start using these instead before playing.

Mp3

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Female
Ngl my hand still hurts from trying to 5star painbrush in a month
Spoiler i gave up after two weeks due to actual extreme pain

NumberOneAries

Premium
Pronouns
They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4468-2079-9300
OOF, makes me glad I decided against maining Squeezer 😭

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
hmmm maybe I should try compression gloves. compression socks were a lifesaver back when I worked retail and if gloves work even half as well that would probably be worthwhile. currently my go-to remedy is to go soak my hands in cold water (just tap-cold from the bathroom sink) for 15-20 mins when they start aching and it works pretty well but sometimes a) I don't want to stop to do that and b) my reaction times are terrible until my hands warm back up again. But on the other hand maybe that method forcing me to take breaks is a good thing sometimes.

For better or worse, a lot of these stretches/exercises have started become things I just kind of automatically do when I'm fidgeting now. Which might be good, but I wonder if this can lead to me overdoing it somehow.

QuagSass

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
I started working full-time like 2-3 months ago? And still played Splatoon regularly, so my wrist has been giving me warning pains. Started using a wrist brace, the kind that atheletes use as a precautionary measure alongside doing my stretches more regularly.
If you guys don't have full on pain just yet, you might want to consider getting a wrist brace like that. They're fairly cheap and easy to find.

MandatoryCatalyst

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/They/Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
What a classic graphic, I've seen that graphic shared around for years before I even got into Splatoon, it's literally one of the main things I associated with Splatoon before getting into it lol. It's true though, carpal tunnel (Or, as my grandmother would call it, "carpal tunnel vision") is a NIGHTMARE and my close friend in highschool who DID take her stretches seriously still got it from overuse of her wrists and it was absolute agony for her. Take your wrist health seriously even if you're just a casual, but ESPECIALLY if you play on a regular basis or have other hobbies that involve a lot of wrist strain

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
reminder to please please PLEASE start stretching before things start to hurt. If you have hand pain that means you should've been stretching. although of course it's better to start late than never. But it's even more better to not wait until there's already a problem

tldr please do hand stretches or you will DIE (jk but seriously do them)

NumberOneAries

Premium
Pronouns
They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4468-2079-9300
I've never had joint pains from playing too much video games. How many hours do you have to put in for this to happen?
Honestly, It can just depend on what you do outside of games too. Like, I'm majoring in Musical Theatre and part of that is dancing, so that puts stress on all parts of my body, let alone just my fingers and wrists. Plus, it just comes down to the fact that it'll simply start to happen over time no matter what, so you may as well take steps now to prevent it.

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
I've never had joint pains from playing too much video games. How many hours do you have to put in for this to happen?
everybody's experience will be a little different, but 1000+ hours in splatoon 3, playing video games in general for like 20 years, and doing other hand/wrist-intensive activities like art can do it to you

as has been said, though, stretching is preventative; you shouldn't wait until you do get pain, you should try and fit stretching into your routine now. you gotta remember that especially in a game like splatoon, and especially with motion controls (and especially especially if you play, like, squeezer or something else button-mash-y), playing a video game is a physical activity for your hands and wrists. you stretch before you work out or play/practice sports from the get-go, you don't wait until you hurt yourself to start stretching. yknow?

(on that note, i've been wondering recently if we should be putting emphasis on cooldown stretching as well. but i keep wondering this and then not doing cooldown stretches myself. i'll figure it out)

Yeenom

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
Try remapping ZR to Y. It's easier on your hand and readjusting your camera isn't important enough that remapping it will destroy you.

TRUE NUCKA

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He / Him
Honestly, It can just depend on what you do outside of games too. Like, I'm majoring in Musical Theatre and part of that is dancing, so that puts stress on all parts of my body, let alone just my fingers and wrists. Plus, it just comes down to the fact that it'll simply start to happen over time no matter what, so you may as well take steps now to prevent it.
I got a lot of wrist pain from playing mario kart on a single stick and from holding "the aero position" (NOT a sex position) on the bike for just less than 30 mins.

Sometimes my calf muscle decides to un-alive itself and explode in pain, but I think buying a pro controller has saved my hands and my wrists.

OCTöHEAD

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
any
Try remapping ZR to Y. It's easier on your hand and readjusting your camera isn't important enough that remapping it will destroy you.
You can remap buttons?! ô.ô That's great news~~~Thanks! <3

Yeenom

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
You can remap buttons?! ô.ô That's great news~~~Thanks! <3
Yeah in the Switch settings, I think under controller options. The only thing is that it doesn't reflect in game so you'll have to remember all of your remaps. It also only works for Joy-Cons and the official Pro Controller though, it doesn't support 3rd party or NSO controllers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom