• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Techs and Terminology

Cherubic Cherry

Inkling
NNID
AjGreen18
Splatoon Strats

Ex: You = Blue, Foes= Orange

*Splatter-hopping*: Inking dots of blue in an orange area and hopping in them. Long Jump>shoot your feet with 1 pellet>repeat. Used as an evasive maneuver.

*Splash Dashing*: a shortened version of splatter-hopping. No jumping, only shoot your feet, squid and swim a away slightly, rinse and repeat.

*Dolphin Diving*: swim, let go of squid>kid>jump>shoot very quickly all while holding a direction. You go farther than a normal kid jump and higher. Used offensively to be a hard target for snipers or to win those 1v1s up close as well as jumping from platform to platform with ease and power. You can test/practice this on the U-Tower on Walleye Warehouse.

*Showering*: standing inside of a wall. Gives you pseudo invincibility.

*Pivot Cancelling*: swim, go kid, quickly go squid and swim the other direction. You could also go kid by shooting one pellet at your feet instead as the timing is difficult. Used to avoid bombs or other trouble. It cancels the momentum allowing you to escape easier. The timing is somewhat tricky as you may not cancel if you go squid too quickly

*Jumping and Shooting (needs name)*: jump and shoot. Used to get people escaping your range as it gives you more of an arch and distance. Best used if there are barriers between you or if you're at a vertical disadvantage.

*Long Jumping*: holding the jump button for as long as possible (specifically as a squid). Used to make gaps you couldn't or to reach a spot faster. Ex: left of arowana mall you can long jump from open to perch instead of walk up the grate.

*Seeker Surfing*: swimming directly behind a seeker to conceal your position.

*Burst Cancelling*: throw a burst bomb>wait for the animation to almost end>quickly press ZR to flick/slosh.

*Beacon Fast Falling*: jump>press R to use beacon. The animation will cause you to fall faster. Works best after you've already placed 3 beacons.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
*Splatter-hopping*: Inking dots of blue in an orange area and hopping in them. Long Jump>shoot your feet with 1 pellet>repeat. Used as an evasive maneuver.
I've been practicing this in my burst bomb challenge. If you space out the burst bombs and swim through the entire diameter, you can refill your tank while you're jumping. This way, you can sustain your momentum for more than four burst bombs. To clarify: When you jump out of your own ink you still refill ink as fast as if you were still in your ink, no matter how high you jump. However, there is a refill delay after using a burst bomb, so you have to be actually in your ink when that cooldown expires before you jump.

*Jumping and Shooting (needs name)*: jump and shoot. Used to get people escaping your range as it gives you more of an arch and distance. Best used if there are barriers between you or if you're at a vertical disadvantage.
Second two reasons, yes. First reason, no. Just swim in that case.

*Burst Cancelling*
doesn't exist.

*Beacon Fast Falling*
also doesn't exist.

Cherubic Cherry

Inkling
NNID
AjGreen18
do you know if the mid air ink recovery works with dolphin diving too? burst cancelling is widely agreed to exist or at least be a tech/strategy. beacon fast falling was on squidboards so i thought i'd include it

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
wavedash - a technique in Super Smash Bros. Melee that causes a character to slide along the ground without walking or running. It transfers the momentum of the air dodge into a spurt of ground-based movement.

PocketChg

Inkling
NNID
PocketChance
wavedash - a technique in Super Smash Bros. Melee that causes a character to slide along the ground without walking or running. It transfers the momentum of the air dodge into a spurt of ground-based movement.
Get outta this game with your wavecheating.

Nobody wants your fun cancelling.

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
A lot of these 'terminologies' feels like they're not needed. I don't even know why some even need a name.

EDIT: damnit, I hit 'reply too early >:C

But yeah, some of these names are silly. 'Seeker Surfing?' Dolphin Diving?' 'SHOWERING?' lolz.

For now, I think we should hold off on the terminology and just explain the actions on how it's done. (However, there is a terminology for 'Jumping and shooting' It's called Bunny Hopping')

doesn't exist.
Actually that one DOES exist

I never heard of the second thing, though lol.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
do you know if the mid air ink recovery works with dolphin diving too?
Yes, until you start shooting.

A lot of these 'terminologies' feels like they're not needed. I don't even know why some even need a name. [...] But yeah, some of these names are silly. 'Seeker Surfing?' Dolphin Diving?' 'SHOWERING?' lolz.

For now, I think we should hold off on the terminology and just explain the actions on how it's done. (However, there is a terminology for 'Jumping and shooting' It's called Bunny Hopping')
If the others are unneeded and silly, why would you suggest "bunny hopping"?

burst cancelling is widely agreed to exist or at least be a tech/strategy.
Actually that one DOES exist
All it is is throwing a burst bomb before flicking/sloshing/shooting. You're not cancelling anything. It's the same idea as throwing a splash wall and then shooting through it.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Did you actually watch the video?
Yes. Have you actually tried it in-game? You're cancelling literally an animation. A non-blocking animation. You can do anything at all once that burst bomb is out - squid form, jump, shoot, whatever. The comparisons he uses are red herrings. He's comparing a burst bomb + a flick to several flicks. Of course a burst bomb is going to do more damage quicker. A better comparison would be between bomb+flick and flick+bomb (former is faster because flick has more end-lag, not because you're cancelling the bomb's endlag - it just has less), or between bomb+flick and bomb+wait+flick (who would actually wait for the visual non-blocking animation to finish?)

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Yes. Have you actually tried it in-game? You're cancelling literally an animation. A non-blocking animation. You can do anything at all once that burst bomb is out - squid form, jump, shoot, whatever. The comparisons he uses are red herrings. He's comparing a burst bomb + a flick to several flicks. Of course a burst bomb is going to do more damage quicker. A better comparison would be between bomb+flick and flick+bomb (former is faster because flick has more end-lag, not because you're cancelling the bomb's endlag - it just has less), or between bomb+flick and bomb+wait+flick (who would actually wait for the visual non-blocking animation to finish?)
Your rambling, just look at the short time between burst bomb and flick/slosh.

If you don't get the right timing you have to wait for the animation. Which seems to be what you are saying anyway, so maybe you are just implying its to easy to be a tech?

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
It doesn't cancel anything. It's literally only faster cause the damage comes out at the beginning of the flick animation, so obviously doing that animation last would make the total damage dealt come out faster.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
It doesn't cancel anything. It's literally only faster cause the damage comes out at the beginning of the flick animation, so obviously doing that animation last would make the total damage dealt come out faster.
Very well, I'll test it out again to make sure.

I stand corrected. I remember their being huge lag between the bomb and the flick before but it's seems way faster now no matter when I press it. Ignore me.

Last edited:

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
If the others are unneeded and silly, why would you suggest "bunny hopping"?
So far, I've heard two people refer to this as bunny hopping. My friend, who also played First Person/Third Person shooter, actually told me this terminology, so I'm going to believe him because his experience/info is solid. Even if it wasn't a real terminology, I personally like the name 'Bunny Hopping,' cause that's what your pretty much doing.

There's also this as well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_hopping

As for the 'Burst Cancelling,' again, going off based on a source. I'm not sure if that's the official name for it, but I'm willing to go along with it till someone says otherwise.

-------

It seems like a lot of here are coming off on the wrong foot, and in need to approach the thread once again. I think we should talk about whether these 'actions' are in need of a terminology or not. If not, then why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom