Tenta Brella discussion

Inky Chan

Inkling
Hiya!

First off, i really like the Tenta Brella weapon! I don't really know what it's standing is compared to other weapons, but i've always been fond of these kind of defensive aresenal. Reminds me a lot of playing a tank (Especially Reinhardt) in Overwatch.

So i wanted to discuss about the Tenta Brella:

-A custom version of this weapon would be really great! What sub weapons would you pick for it? I think Ink Mine sub and Splashdown special would complement this weapon really well, you'd lose a bit of it's offensive power in exchange for better defensive tools.

Also, since the Tenta Brella takes even longer to deploy compared to the regular Brella, i thought that maybe one of those changes would be nice:

a) Reduce deployment time so the Brella can shield your team faster.

b) Either remove the time limit or increase the delay before the brella is fired, but in exchange the brella always fire when the trigger is released unless you don't have enough ink to pay for it.

c) Increase the initial spread of the weapon. The firing rate is really slow, and while you can potentially one-shot someone at close range, you really need pin-point accuracy to do so. A lot of close range weapons that can one-shot have a much wider hit-box. While it does have a long iink range, it's threat range is really short, with a poor firing rate and rapid damage falloff, it's really hard to splat anyone.

Last edited:

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
The Tenta Sorella Brella has been datamined and has
splash wall and curling bomb launcher (used to be ink armor, so they could change it again)
but on some theoretical Sheldon's picks version of this weapon (just remember that not all weapons get picked) I'd like a nice bomb, probably burst bomb, and ink armor so I can set up without fear of getting splatted.

Option b actually sounds like it would make the tenta brella viable without breaking it because now you can defend both stationary and mobile as long as you could go into squid form to cancel the launch and keep your brella.
One important thing to note is that the way brellas' sheilds work is by draining ink while they're open, then launching after a certain amount of time, so in addition to the change in how the brella is launched, the way it uses ink would have to be changed, because right now it drains 30% of your tank in the half of a second it stays open before launching.

Last edited:

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Oh boy I've waited long to say this!

Because it takes long to deploy, this weapon has a high skill curve, but here's the thing every one gets wrong when using the Tenta: the idea isn't necessarily to shield your team, it's to launch it and take advantage of the moving shield and to use it's incredible launch painting in Zones and Clams to make an easy push for your team with the assistance of bubbles (This idea is incredible beyond belief while camping in Zones but usually I like well placed mines to counter/inform me of flankers with this). Don't get me wrong, though, shielding your team is what the weapon was made for. It's just that it isn't a good idea to only focus on that. Another strategy is to launch the shield as a diversion while crawling to the other side of the map to place Beakons.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Tenta's better than what people give it credit for, but it's still too slow to use in ranked. It's a niche support weapon that can properly push with Bubble Blower (launching shield + send out bubbles to hit the shield) and Beakons could be used to help everyone return in battle quicker or to track people. Not mention you could potentially OHKO with it if you have insane aim.

It received a plethora of buffs, however the main issue is how slow the shield is, but that's the basic design of the weapon and it would honestly be broken if they buff the shield too much. I think all it needs is higher minimal damage and better run speed to compensate for its atrocious fire-rate.

Also its current kit despite what I just said is pretty lackluster too, it doesn't have any way to defend itself outside of bubbles, and it would be better if it had a version with Burst Bombs to kill easier or Toxic Mist to space people out. Sting Ray might help too since its not made to fight upfront and Splashdown in case anyone gets too close and you could probably shield afterwards.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
The Tenta Brella is a weapon that has great potential for plays if the team composition and strategy is built with it in mind. It has amazing objective pushing potential in both Rainmaker and Clam Blitz, but in order to make full use of it, you do have to have a team designed to make use of it as well.

People overlook the things the Tenta Brella can do, but for what it does do, it's a weapon that excels at a specific job and certainly is not the most flexible tool.

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
The Tenta Sorella Brella has been datamined and has
splash wall and curling bomb launcher (used to be ink armor, so they could change it again)
but on some theoretical Sheldon's picks version of this weapon (just remember that not all weapons get picked) I'd like a nice bomb, probably burst bomb, and ink armor so I can set up without fear of getting splatted.

Option b actually sounds like it would make the tenta brella viable without breaking it because now you can defend both stationary and mobile as long as you could go into squid form to cancel the launch and keep your brella.
One important thing to note is that the way brellas' sheilds work is by draining ink while they're open, then launching after a certain amount of time, so in addition to the change in how the brella is launched, the way it uses ink would have to be changed, because right now it drains 30% of your tank in the half of a second it stays open before launching.
The sub on the alt kit seems pretty redundant. I would have preferred... anything else.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
The sub on the alt kit seems pretty redundant. I would have preferred... anything else.
I agree, but if they were to change just the sub before release, they don't have very many subs to choose from that wouldn't be redundant in one way or another.
  • They shouldn't use suction bomb because the only other weapon with a curling bomb launcher has that as its sub.
  • They shouldn't use curling bomb because the special is curling bomb launcher.
  • They shouldn't use squid beakons because tenta brella already has that.
  • They shouldn't use sprinkler, autobomb, ink mine or splat bomb because the other brellas have those subs, and there aren't enough weapons in this category to justify duplicate subs.
That leaves burst bomb, toxic mist, point sensor, and splash wall. Out of those, I'd pick burst bomb. I honestly think that burst bomb would be fine to add to this variant. Especially seeing how this normally slow and defensive weapon now has a special essentially meant for painting with splat potential as an afterthought, the burst bomb would give it the offensive boost it needs.

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
I agree, but if they were to change just the sub before release, they don't have very many subs to choose from that wouldn't be redundant in one way or another.
  • They shouldn't use suction bomb because the only other weapon with a curling bomb launcher has that as its sub.
  • They shouldn't use curling bomb because the special is curling bomb launcher.
  • They shouldn't use squid beakons because tenta brella already has that.
  • They shouldn't use sprinkler, autobomb, ink mine or splat bomb because the other brellas have those subs, and there aren't enough weapons in this category to justify duplicate subs.
That leaves burst bomb, toxic mist, point sensor, and splash wall. Out of those, I'd pick burst bomb. I honestly think that burst bomb would be fine to add to this variant. Especially seeing how this normally slow and defensive weapon now has a special essentially meant for painting with splat potential as an afterthought, the burst bomb would give it the offensive boost it needs.
Good point.

I’d lean towards toxic mist because of the support nature of the main weapon. And I think it would work well with the Tenta shield, as well as potentially help mitigate its weakness of slow firing/shield speed in a CQC scenario.

But burst bomb would be good in terms of helping the alternate kit be a more offensive option. And it’s lower sub ink consumption would definitely be a plus.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Having bursts on either Tenta/regular Brella would be immensely powerful and likely skyrocket the weapon in tier lists regardless of whatever special it may be packing. Mines would also have really strong synergy with regular Brella, raising it's shot to ohko potential.

Too bad that's never going to happen, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom