Text/Talking Options: Are "booyah" and "c'mon" useful enough?

skyphoi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
melancholywish
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm wondering if anyone finds these options alone useful enough (especially during random matches) since the game lacks voice chat? "Booyah" is nice to say when you're witnessing a team mate pull something amazing off, or when you're working together. However, I find "c'mon" to be way too vague, as someone could mean a frustrated "are you kidding me?" or some people seem to use it as a way to signal the team to move forward or group together. I feel like they could probably make more text options - there's room for two. My hope would be something akin to "watch out" to warn team mates, and maybe something else for when you want to signal your team to group together. Personally, I'm not a big fan of voice chat in online games, so I don't mind not having it... but I feel like they should at least compensate by having better/more clear text options.

superhiero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
eRonin
I think the two current ones are good, but i'd like to see at least two more on the left and right dpad. I think a "spread out" command should be implemented, amd for the other one, maybe something like "focus on objective" though that might be too long for the tyope of thing they want.

skyphoi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
melancholywish
I think the two current ones are good, but i'd like to see at least two more on the left and right dpad. I think a "spread out" command should be implemented, amd for the other one, maybe something like "focus on objective" though that might be too long for the tyope of thing they want.
"Spread out" would be good, too! And for "focus on objective" it would be cool if you could tap the map and put a beacon-like light that your team could see and go to, either to ink or group or both.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
At the very least it'd be nice to be able to ping somewhere on the map with the Gamepad.

However, because you can't do this, I just spam "C'mon!" until they look at the map.

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
At the very least it'd be nice to be able to ping somewhere on the map with the Gamepad.
This. I think something like Oddworld's "Gamespeak" would help, since in that game you had a lot more helpful commands to say, especially "Follow Me". And then there's Portal 2's roster of gestures where you could put a temporary marker over a particular area of the map and convince other players to go and control it and try to clear it of enemy Inklings.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm wondering if anyone finds these options alone useful enough (especially during random matches) since the game lacks voice chat? "Booyah" is nice to say when you're witnessing a team mate pull something amazing off, or when you're working together. However, I find "c'mon" to be way too vague, as someone could mean a frustrated "are you kidding me?" or some people seem to use it as a way to signal the team to move forward or group together. I feel like they could probably make more text options - there's room for two. My hope would be something akin to "watch out" to warn team mates, and maybe something else for when you want to signal your team to group together. Personally, I'm not a big fan of voice chat in online games, so I don't mind not having it... but I feel like they should at least compensate by having better/more clear text options.
Good thing it is "Nice" and "To me" instead in the PAL-regions. Much more clear on what they are supposed to use for.

But yeah, I get your point.
Personally I would add "Watch out" and "Fall Back" or something like that. And it would be perfect.

Tho if the game would have voice chat, I'd never use it.
But Nintendo made their stance on this clear.
And personally, I agree with it.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Good thing it is "Nice" and "To me" instead in the PAL-regions. Much more clear on what they are supposed to use for.
They may be clearer, but they definitely aren't as fresh B)

Being serious now, I've always thought that the lack of communication options make the game a little more boring than it should. I feel disconnected from my team when the only things I can say to them is "C'mon!" which can be misinterpreted, and "Booyah!" which is cool for complementing cool plays and spamming over and over again, but ultimately kind of boring on it's own.

If there won't be voice chat (which I'm not happy about per se, but I can understand why), I'd like to see more d-pad messages, or otherwise different, more effective ways of communicating. Being able to ping the Gamepad map sounds like a great idea.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I've said before that the D-pad commands in Luigi's Mansion 2 multiplayer were perfect. They were (clockwise from top) "Hey!", "Good job!", "Help!" and "Thanks!" and you could tap the map to ping it and shout "Over here!". It worked like a dream. I should go play LM2 again, it's a damn good game...

"To me! / C'mon!" is rarely very helpful because your team is generally stronger when you spread out than when you bunch together.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I do think the game would definitely benefit from having more communication options, as has been pointed out there are 2 blank spaces on the d-pad that do nothing. It might also help if "C'mon" was changed to something more indicative of what it means in the American English version, most people I come across assume it's some kind of taunt. (Judd does tell you what it means, but his tips are random and not everyone talks to him)

jkid391

Senior Squid
"C'mon" isn't really a bad way to tell people to come to you. Just spam "C'mon" and people will super jump to you.
It works.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I think C'mon is definitely very useful for getting your team to push, but Booyah.. eh. I wish I could say Left flank/push left side with the left D-pad input, and Right flank/push with the right side. I mean booyah is nice to spam when you die, but a lot of people don't get the message. I wish I could change it to WATCH OUT! Although other options mentioned in the thread would be nice, such as "Play the Objective".

Perhaps there could be a list of options and we could set them to whatever D-pad input we want?

superhiero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
eRonin
Right now, the L button is currently unused. It would be cool if holding it down could bring up a radial menu of even more things you could say. Or maybe hold-L plus tap minimap could ping in that location (don't want to accidentally ping for no reason so I think having a button to hold could be good). When I'm playing a moba game, often pinging is the only way I communicate since typing is slow and voice chat is bleh (unless I'm with friends).

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I shout a booyah when a teamate has a rambo moment or saves my *** from getting splatted

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
So the c'mon and booyah messages are very useful and i think we could get away with only those. That being said I would love at least a couple more options to "signal" other players on my team important information.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I don't think they are, no.
C'mon! is useful enough, a sign that now would (apparently) be a good time to push.
Booyah! on the other hand, isn't really useful, maybe just a THIS IS AWESOME! button? I only use it when I get splatted in a (probably futile) attempt to warn my teammates that something's over where I used to be, and it's probably coming for them next, and sometimes I spam it when I feel it's urgent that they notice what I'm seeing now. Dunno how well that works, but it's what I do.
I wish we had more options. Maybe put a "HEY! LISTEN!" or "WATCH OUT!" on for situations like the one I use Booyah! for now. Not sure what else we could use, maybe a "JOESTAR FAMILY SECRET TECHNIQUE: RUN AWAY!" for when you want to retreat.

Right now, the L button is currently unused. It would be cool if holding it down could bring up a radial menu of even more things you could say. Or maybe hold-L plus tap minimap could ping in that location (don't want to accidentally ping for no reason so I think having a button to hold could be good). When I'm playing a moba game, often pinging is the only way I communicate since typing is slow and voice chat is bleh (unless I'm with friends).
That sounds useful, but honestly, I'd prefer L become the way you activate your Special. Maybe put that on one of the D-Pad directions? Or the A button (is that used for anything)?

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
In relation to its intended purpose, "C'mon!" in the American versions sounds very misleading. I wouldn't get that I was being asked to jump to my teammate. I'd rather have the phrase be blunt and say, "Jump to me!" instead. "C'mon!" sounds more like a way of telling others to hurry.

skyphoi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
melancholywish
"C'mon" isn't really a bad way to tell people to come to you. Just spam "C'mon" and people will super jump to you.
It works.
I feel like that would most likely annoy people rather than get their attention. :c Or maybe it would annoy them enough to get their attention, I guess? Though... there's no voice chat, so I suppose you wouldn't know the difference! (But that's mean, haha!)

jkid391

Senior Squid
I feel like that would most likely annoy people rather than get their attention. :c Or maybe it would annoy them enough to get their attention, I guess? Though... there's no voice chat, so I suppose you wouldn't know the difference! (But that's mean, haha!)
We wanna have fun annoying people some times! Plus, the spammed "C'mon" is like a ping. It shows where you are and the area inked, making it easier to get your team's attention.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
I think an ideal situation would be to have a larger list of commands that can be mapped/customized to the dpad directions instead of outright forcing commands onto dpad that people may or may not find useful/helpful.

Overall, I think Booyah is useless and more often than not I see people use c'mon in condescending ways to show frustration with the rest of the team. "To me" or "Follow me" is a lot more direct and gets the message across better.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
We wanna have fun annoying people some times! Plus, the spammed "C'mon" is like a ping. It shows where you are and the area inked, making it easier to get your team's attention.
Same thing goes for booyahing, even though it's purpose is only to boost morale; it shows who is inputting a message on the map to your teammates. It's hard to get the message across that you want someone to jump to you, even if you shout "C'mon" multiple times. You could look like someone who likes spamming commands for the heck of it, is trying to spark a comeback, or is raging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom