• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Text/Talking Options: Are "booyah" and "c'mon" useful enough?

staindgrey

Inkling
NNID
staindgrey
Resident Evil 5 set up a great set of in-game voice commands that eventually became a universal language for Versus and Mercs players. It was doable by simply pressing the B-button and a direction on the D-pad at the same time:

"C'mon!" -- Come to my position.
"Wait." -- Don't go, or stay where you are.
"Go!" -- Obviously, 'go', but also 'chase' or 'move away from me'.
"Thanks." -- Confirmation that the other person either understood you, or saved your butt.

In addition to this, after a voice command is made, the other player can simply tap the B-button to answer with an affirmative. This helps confirm or deny understanding.

I was able to get perfect 150x combos on a regular basis using only these commands with players that understood them. It's surprising how little actually needs to be said to understand one another. And Splatoon has the available buttons necessary to mimic and even modify such a setup.

But, then again, such a system could just be abused and get annoying. Like how people in Versus would spam "Thanks!" over your dead corpse until you respawned. That was always fun.

Krak-On Kraken

Inkling
NNID
Konofox
Right now the one big flaw I see with the commands is that they're not even universal. The command "Kamon" in Japanese (which is apparently slang for "come to me", not literally "c'mon") is "C'mon!" in NA and "To me!" in EU, which can result in some confusion when some squid in NA is spamming "C'mon!" and EU and JP squids have to decide if that squid is just trying to rally their teammates or actually telling their teammates to come to them. Granted, it might not be as big of a problem as I make it out to be, but it's still pretty annoying to me.

The system staindgrey talked about sounds like it'd work well for Splatoon, since we have the "come to me" command and the "hey that was nice" command in the game already. Personally I'd like a "watch out/check the map" command or a "sorry guys" command as well, though I'm not sure how useful they'd actually be.

skyphoi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
melancholywish
Right now the one big flaw I see with the commands is that they're not even universal. The command "Kamon" in Japanese (which is apparently slang for "come to me", not literally "c'mon") is "C'mon!" in NA and "To me!" in EU, which can result in some confusion when some squid in NA is spamming "C'mon!" and EU and JP squids have to decide if that squid is just trying to rally their teammates or actually telling their teammates to come to them. Granted, it might not be as big of a problem as I make it out to be, but it's still pretty annoying to me.
I completely agree, I actually was not aware of the differences in language until I made this thread - before I had just assumed they would be the same translated. :c It makes everything even more confusing for players trying to communicate with their team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom