• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Amiibos are UNDERWHELMING

Krak Rex

Inkster Jr.
I bought the Amiibos in the first game for the challenge of the story levels, earning gear and coins for doing so. I thought it was a great way of doing a re-skin of weapons in the story for multiplayer.

I thought it was going to be the same with the new game. I was very disappointed that there was no challenges to the Amiibo this time around. I know you can get the re-skin of the hero weapons normally by beating the levels again, but it takes something away from the Amiibo.

Saving your load out is alright. But with how portable the system is why is it really needed. People wont be taking their Amiibos to tournaments will they?

The only way I see Amiibos now sadly is DLC skins and a storage system. If I didn't just like the design, and want them to look cool on my desk, it seems almost like a waste to buy for some people.

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
I completely agree with you here. Amiibo's in Splatoon 1 offered challenges and content that was actually worth it. The new amiibo just give you weapons and armor I guess, but I'm pretty sure there's gear that is much better than those and here's the thing. YOU'RE PAYING FOR IT! The "saving load out" is honestly one of the dumbest things ever. Like you said, if you were doing something competitive, would you actually bring an amiibo? They've of just had a option to save your load outs in-game.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Saving your load out is alright. But with how portable the system is why is it really needed. People wont be taking their Amiibos to tournaments will they?
Honestly, I don't doubt it. Think about it; it's not just the look, your clothes have literal stat bonuses on them. Having what you need on you is incredibly useful for setups. (For how it actually plays out in practice though I don't know, but I'd assume something like that. You would probably just bring your Switch.)

I can agree, the amiibo are pretty underwhelming in Spla2n. Maybe if/when we get Marina/Pearl amiibo it will be more content?

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
Honestly, I don't doubt it. Think about it; it's not just the look, your clothes have literal stat bonuses on them. Having what you need on you is incredibly useful for setups. (For how it actually plays out in practice though I don't know, but I'd assume something like that. You would probably just bring your Switch.)

I can agree, the amiibo are pretty underwhelming in Spla2n. Maybe if/when we get Marina/Pearl amiibo it will be more content?
I betcha the Marina/Pearl will do exactly what the Callie/Marie amiibo will do in Splatoon 1. Just listen to their themes and stuff like that.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I bought the original ones both for the level remixes (Kraken mode was especially fun) and the lobby minigames. They really could have come up with more stuff like that this time. At least they weren't just music videos again.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Lacking in some extra content, the ninja outfit doesn't have ninja squid on the shirt (how do you mess that up? X_x )
AND the ninja hat I believe has quick respawn, which is nigh useless for a splatting ninja playstyle. =/

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
People complained at how Nintendo was locking out content from the first game, so they just made the amiibo give you dlc costumes this time around, and instead gave us multiple weapons to use in the campaign, but this time made the levels with all weapons in mind.

REYES

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4119-9070-0340
I haven't picked the new amiibo up myself, but I plan to. I loved the content in the first game's amiibo and I don't mind the lesser amount this time around. I've used my old Inkling Girl amiibo in 2 and I like what you can do. Taking those pics is fun and getting the gear is still nice. One thing I thought was pretty cool actually was that when I scanned Inkling Girl she turned out to be my original character from the first game which was awesome to see her still alive and able to be interacted with now in the new game. So now she'll always be around even though I've left Splatoon 1 behind.

Honestly that's the one thing I appreciated most about the old ones being compatible, I didn't have to lose that old character.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
The only thing that I am curious now is that armor you get within the hero mode. It is that helm with a galaxy reflection, newly acquired armor jacket, and shoes. I haven't heard anything of anyone in high levels talking about it. I hope they make an amiibo for such, because I want them.

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
People complained at how Nintendo was locking out content from the first game, so they just made the amiibo give you dlc costumes this time around, and instead gave us multiple weapons to use in the campaign, but this time made the levels with all weapons in mind.
Kinda makes sense. Although I'm kinda sad there's not much content in the amiibos.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
I would of been nice to have some more weapon reskins and some other reward besides the old music in Squid Beats... Maybe we'll get the option for playing the old music during gameplay at some point? Like if you take an amiibo to the music player you can scan it and add tracks to the music selection. And have Pearl and Marina amiibo (you know it's happening lol) add the new Splatfest songs.

Saving to amiibo currently is quite underwhelming... The game only stores what equipment you have equipped and your settings. Meaning if you play on on somebody else's system you'll have to deal with their subs. Same with mains. If it's not unlocked then nothing happens. Weapons aren't exempt either.

I guess this is why there's the option to play without subs but still... I may be wrong but bringing a Switch and putting it in a LAN setup requires setting up LAN play every single time. So it's more convenient, at a cost...

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I would of been nice to have some more weapon reskins and some other reward besides the old music in Squid Beats... Maybe we'll get the option for playing the old music during gameplay at some point? Like if you take an amiibo to the music player you can scan it and add tracks to the music selection. And have Pearl and Marina amiibo (you know it's happening lol) add the new Splatfest songs.

Saving to amiibo currently is quite underwhelming... The game only stores what equipment you have equipped and your settings. Meaning if you play on on somebody else's system you'll have to deal with their subs. Same with mains. If it's not unlocked then nothing happens. Weapons aren't exempt either.

I guess this is why there's the option to play without subs but still... I may be wrong but bringing a Switch and putting it in a LAN setup requires setting up LAN play every single time. So it's more convenient, at a cost...
I disagree with the more convenient bit. Like you stated before, there are plenty of drawbacks to using the gear you saved to an Amiibo on another system, plus how clunky it is to save your cureent load out to the amiibo, to the point it isn't worth it. You are almost always in a better position to bring your own Switch, and deal with setting up the LAN, which isn't that difficult to get started.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Amiibo are more like a figurine with a little in-game extra attached to it, you shouldn't expect that much out of it. If there would be more content to it, it'd be better sold as dlc otherwise shortages of it would become a real problem.

Imo locking sound test behind one of the amiibos from the first game was already a bit too much for me.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
The only thing that I am curious now is that armor you get within the hero mode. It is that helm with a galaxy reflection, newly acquired armor jacket, and shoes. I haven't heard anything of anyone in high levels talking about it. I hope they make an amiibo for such, because I want them.
Supposedly you can get that after completing single player with one of the idol amiibos (Callie or Marie, I forget which). I've never seen it in-game, though, nor seen anyone on a stream with it.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid

Amiibo functionality made this image possible, and for that I will always consider it a blessing.

Though in all seriousness, I agree that it's kind of meh compared to the first game. I guess that having extra amiibo challenges on single player in addition to the nine times you have to play each stage for the Hero Weapons would be a bit much, but it would've been nice for the amiibo to do something more meaningful.

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321

Amiibo functionality made this image possible, and for that I will always consider it a blessing.

Though in all seriousness, I agree that it's kind of meh compared to the first game. I guess that having extra amiibo challenges on single player in addition to the nine times you have to play each stage for the Hero Weapons would be a bit much, but it would've been nice for the amiibo to do something more meaningful.
... that's probably the only thing I want the amiibo for. To take a picture with the one and only, Marie.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Well, would you have rather they locked a considerable amount of content behind these amiibos that would benefit you pretty well compared to players without the amiibo? Would you rather be seriously missing out on locked content if you never got the amiibo? Frankly I'm glad the amiibo arent very useful. People cant decide what they want from amiibo. If it's too important and locked behind an amiibo, then nintendo is being greedy. If it's underwhelming and locked behind an amiibo, nintendo is ripping us off. :/

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
Well, would you have rather they locked a considerable amount of content behind these amiibos that would benefit you pretty well compared to players without the amiibo? Would you rather be seriously missing out on locked content if you never got the amiibo? Frankly I'm glad the amiibo arent very useful. People cant decide what they want from amiibo. If it's too important and locked behind an amiibo, then nintendo is being greedy. If it's underwhelming and locked behind an amiibo, nintendo is ripping us off. :/
Hmm... I guess you're right. I just expected something more to come out on the amiibos. Something like challenges for single player modes? But it is understandable why you like that amiibo aren't really useful in Splatoon 2.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Hmm... I guess you're right. I just expected something more to come out on the amiibos. Something like challenges for single player modes? But it is understandable why you like that amiibo aren't really useful in Splatoon 2.
and i definitely understand why you are a bit disappointed with the amiibo functionality. I think it'd be nice if we got something else out em, like maybe having the tracks from the first game play in battles instead of just in squid beats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom