The Bamboozler Has Changed My Thoughts on Weapon Viability

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I seriously need help with the Bamboozler 14 MK I. I just can't seem to find a way in which it could work in any playstyle. I have never had this much trouble with a weapon before. I did some 15 matches with it and won one match. ONE MATCH. No matter how I played, I would always get countered by every single weapon. There was naught I could do to win. And, from the others I have seen experimenting with this weapon as well, it appears to be no different. With literally EVERY other weapon in the game, I have been able to make a playstyle out of it and win matches with it. Even if the weapon isn't for me, like the Classic Squiffer, I can usually find a way to hold my own with it my stepping outside of my comfort zone and playing another way. And for some people, that is the way they like to play. That's why I usually emphasize that there are no bad weapons in Splatoon, because every weapon demands a different way of playing that some people use and others don't. However, I cannot find a way of playing with this weapon. If anyone can tell me strategies and playstyles you have found in order to succeed with this weapon, please tell me, because I cannot find any.

Last edited:

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
Wait until the Mk II version comes out so you can spam Disruptors since Disruptors are just too good. Toss the Mk I version in the nearest trash bin. :p

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Wait until the Mk II version comes out so you can spam Disruptors since Disruptors are just too good. Toss the Mk I version in the nearest trash bin. :p
Yes, but I need to know how to use the MK I too. I'm not quite sure why I can't find a use for this weapon, but I just can't. It's weak, its ink trail is thin, its sub and special do nothing to help it cover and barely anything for defense (Splash Wall doesn't work since this is a Charger, and a vulnerable one at that, and you have to be able to put it up and then snipe, which since the Splash Wall is a tank killer it doesn't allow), its range doesn't help its vulnerability, and it honestly doesn't do much to boast that it has slightly more range than the Squiffer. Sure, its charge time is far faster than any other charger, but it doesn't help its greatest weak point: it's a Charger than doesn't kill in one hit. That is a HUGE disadvantage. Complain about the Rapid Blaster and its 2 hit KO, but it is MUCH easier to kill with that weapon. It covers better and kills easier. Amd that goes true for most weapons.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd say it could work for harassment (aka, keep shooting or being a threat in general so they can't reliably push up). It shoots fast and far, so forcing the enemy to play Your game (don't let them come closer and move back/Splash Wall if they do) rather than being forced to play theirs (trying to fight a Roller up-close) might work out. Otherwise I'd say try the Squiffer

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
so the bamboozler is strange I don't think anybody will deny that but how I play it that has work decently well so far is to deny area. like more so than any other weapon. I've only had to test it out on like 5 maps but basically use the walls to say no go the other way. then use your shots to kill any tentateks (and phax-tentateks) that think "oh it's a charger i'll get close and they won't kill me". (keep in mind that you need to do 2 taps, so aim is required) stack damage up's till you have 99.9 ( so like 4 mains) so that you can get one shots if the enemy is floundering around in your ink (rollers or people who are trying to flee) and people super jumping in (make sure they land in your ink otherwise they'll still take two shots). if the enemy has defense up again just tap them again or a third time (depending on how much damage they have already taken). all in all it's a super defensive weapon that you need to play aggressively to be half decent that requires a lot of aim.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'd say it could work for harassment (aka, keep shooting or being a threat in general so they can't reliably push up). It shoots fast and far, so forcing the enemy to play Your game (don't let them come closer and move back/Splash Wall if they do) rather than being forced to play theirs (trying to fight a Roller up-close) might work out. Otherwise I'd say try the Squiffer
so the bamboozler is strange I don't think anybody will deny that but how I play it that has work decently well so far is to deny area. like more so than any other weapon. I've only had to test it out on like 5 maps but basically use the walls to say no go the other way. then use your shots to kill any tentateks (and phax-tentateks) that think "oh it's a charger i'll get close and they won't kill me". (keep in mind that you need to do 2 taps, so aim is required) stack damage up's till you have 99.9 ( so like 4 mains) so that you can get one shots if the enemy is floundering around in your ink (rollers or people who are trying to flee) and people super jumping in (make sure they land in your ink otherwise they'll still take two shots). if the enemy has defense up again just tap them again or a third time (depending on how much damage they have already taken). all in all it's a super defensive weapon that you need to play aggressively to be half decent that requires a lot of aim.
Thanks for your thoughts! I'll keep them in mind. Oh, and I have tried and fairly suceeded with both Squiffers by the way. I do prefer range however and that's why I use EL3K.

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
Im also having trouble with it (Squiffer user). Few tips:
a. MUST have motion controls.
b. Your aim must be on point. Use the Squiffer, then come to this.
c. You can charge the first shot, and then immediately tap the trigger for an uncharged shot to kill someone. Charging it fully twice is unnecessary.
d. Great when used with team mates. If your team so much as touches them, you'll probably get the kill with 1 shot.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Im also having trouble with it (Squiffer user). Few tips:
a. MUST have motion controls.
b. Your aim must be on point. Use the Squiffer, then come to this.
c. You can charge the first shot, and then immediately tap the trigger for an uncharged shot to kill someone. Charging it fully twice is unnecessary.
d. Great when used with team mates. If your team so much as touches them, you'll probably get the kill with 1 shot.
How do I function with the Splash Wall though? It consumes so much ink.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
How do I function with the Splash Wall though? It consumes so much ink.
Either toss it before the battle begins (and with a full ink tank) or during the battle to retreat/recharge ink (since you're likely to end up with little to no ink left). It's either that or run a main Ink Saver (sub)

soujirou88

Inkster Jr.
NNID
soujirou88
Since this weapon is my new favorite charger in the game, I've been dedicating myself to learn how to use it for awhile now. Though I haven't gotten to elite status with it yet, here's what I've learned so far:
1) Using splash walls correctly is a great way to slow down the target's approach and gives you enough leave way to get that double shot.
2) When putting up the splash wall, I found it vital to predict the opponent's movement if he is bold enough to take the offensive approach and go around it. That way, I can fire that first charged shot as soon as the target is within my sights, then tap for the second killing shot.
3) Damage up main or 3 damage up subs is completely necessary to guarantee a full charge shot and a tap shot to kill a target with 3 defense up mains. So I would recommend at least that much.
4) The shots might be narrow, but still good enough to maneuver in. This the most mobile charger in the game, it's pretty vital to abuse it when caught in a sticky situation, given you have the space/time to do so anyway.

Sadly this is all I can come up with for such a short time with the weapon. I know my explanation is vague wright now, but I do hope to one day make this weapon shine as it is mighty fun to use and may even be my second favorite weapon in the game. And good luck coming up with advice for this weapon HappyBear.

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
Since this weapon is my new favorite charger in the game, I've been dedicating myself to learn how to use it for awhile now. Though I haven't gotten to elite status with it yet, here's what I've learned so far:
1) Using splash walls correctly is a great way to slow down the target's approach and gives you enough leave way to get that double shot.
2) When putting up the splash wall, I found it vital to predict the opponent's movement if he is bold enough to take the offensive approach and go around it. That way, I can fire that first charged shot as soon as the target is within my sights, then tap for the second killing shot.
3) Damage up main or 3 damage up subs is completely necessary to guarantee a full charge shot and a tap shot to kill a target with 3 defense up mains. So I would recommend at least that much.
4) The shots might be narrow, but still good enough to maneuver in. This the most mobile charger in the game, it's pretty vital to abuse it when caught in a sticky situation, given you have the space/time to do so anyway.

Sadly this is all I can come up with for such a short time with the weapon. I know my explanation is vague wright now, but I do hope to one day make this weapon shine as it is mighty fun to use and may even be my second favorite weapon in the game. And good luck coming up with advice for this weapon HappyBear.
i'd deny that last part about it being the easiest charger to move around (can flee the easiest) with and give that to the squiffer. if you want a full line to swim though than you got to charge it up fully (if you don't there'll be puddles in a strait line of where you shot) if you want a full line with any other charger just shoot.

anyway just a thought I had reading others comments (that I probably won't test because i'm picky about my style. Gotta stay fresh) this may be a weapon that has a use for sub saver because wall would consume all but enough for like 3 shots, if you used sub saver, so you'd have an error/panic shot. (you can kill without you just got to have aim, this would just give you error room)

soujirou88

Inkster Jr.
NNID
soujirou88
I totally forgot other chargers have full lines when you tap there shots, I'm getting so used to this thing, i never thought moving around could be an issue when pressured. And as for the sub saver, I'm trying my best testing the difference between sub saver and non sub saver shots after using the splash wall, and I'm not seeing a huge difference. Between the two, I'm counting like 4 to 5 fully charged shots after putting up the wall with one sub ink saver main and without it. And I say 4 to 5 because apparently if you so much as have a portion of a second of delay between your fully charged shots, it may give you enough time to charge enough ink for that extra shot. I haven't even tested the number of tap shots. I should really go at this again.

edit: I tested it again, and it turns out, if you use inksaver sub as one main ability, you get 5 fully charged shots before you run mostly empty. It's the same of shots as not having it at all and even with one ink saver main as a main ability. There maybe a way to increase the number of shots after putting up a wall, but you're basically going to need to stack up on either ability at that point. Whether you think it's worth the space is the user's call i guess.

Last edited:

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
Ink saver main is likely a better option than sub. Allows you to shoot just as much after a wall, but is also useful when you rely on main weapon only.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I've also spent a great deal of time learning this weapon. Here's what I've got.

(pre). This weapon is a great substitute for a Squiffer or even a Splat charger on most stages, and is alot more versatile and defensive.

1. Splash Wall usage is absolutely vital. This is what makes this weapoon unique, its great combination of offense and defense. The Bamboozler is absolutely horrid without any sort of defense, and its a great way to give you some of your own when your teammates aren't necessarily nearby. Any time you engage in combat, Splash Wall. You will 90% of the time NOT WIN without it. That being said, Ink Saver Main and Ink Saver Sub are necessities for this weapon.

2. Get the easy picks. The Bamboozler is great at finishing opponents off that are stuck in your ink. Picking off vulnerable targets is this weapons specialty. That said, Damage up is also necessary to make your basic tap shots strong enough to finish a weak inkling.

3. STAY ON YOUR TOES. The Bamboozler is quick enough to kill enemies very fast, but you have to be able to keep up. Always watch your back and have a Splash Wall ready to deploy. NEVER sit there firing off your weapon for more than 2-3 seconds.

4. Don't camp. This weapon, although it is a charger, is surprisingly solid at performing surprise attacks and going alternate routes, somewhat similar to the ink/octobrush. However, you should never go head on without at least one teammate behind you, unless absolutely necessary.

5. Using the Bamboozler on the right map is key. Using this weapon is very risky on these stages:
Blackbelly Skatepark. It's too small and doesn't give you enough room. You are likely to be attacked from any angle and standing on the center tower doesn't help because you don't have a sub to cover you up close. However, if your team can hold ground, the Bamboozler becomes a great support weapon
Port Mackerel. Although it may seem tempting due to the Splash Wall Sub and Killer Wail Special, if the enemy team successfully makes a push, you are utterly useless.
Flounder Heights. It's too vertical and it's got too many walls, and the range only makes it that much worse.

That said, some great stages for the Bamboozler are:
Saltspray Rig. There's a great amount of breathing room in this stage, all the Bamboozler needs to be a vital asset to a team.
Bluefin Depot. The walls in the center of the two branching paths provide a neat line of defense, and you can always play a bit more defensive by shooting from any of the 4 ledges on your side or the two high up paths closer two your spawn.

The Bamboozler has very specific, but usually multiple sniping points. Learn these and switch between them when the time is right. (I'll probably update this post with pictures on where these are, maybe make a guide out of it.)

6. You must have a great amount of map awareness and focus to play this weapon. I do not recommend it to anyone below A+ rank.

7. The Bamboozler has very poor ink coverage, at least 1 Special charge up main (or 3 subs) is needed.

8. Use smart Killer Wails. They're great tools to get a sniper or dynamo off their perch, and following it up with a Splashwall and a mix of Charge and tap shots makes way for easy splats.

Overall, the Bamboozler 14 MK 1 is a good weapon that's very versatile, but has very specific disadvantages that, when not all covered, will leave you defenseless on the battleground. Takes some real hard work to be a master of this weapon, but once you've got it down, it's a great addition to mostly any team comp.

P.S. PLEASE don't ever play this weapon in turf war, it's absolute garbage. Seriously. Don't do it. Ever.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I've also spent a great deal of time learning this weapon. Here's what I've got.

(pre). This weapon is a great substitute for a Squiffer or even a Splat charger on most stages, and is alot more versatile and defensive.

1. Splash Wall usage is absolutely vital. This is what makes this weapoon unique, its great combination of offense and defense. The Bamboozler is absolutely horrid without any sort of defense, and its a great way to give you some of your own when your teammates aren't necessarily nearby. Any time you engage in combat, Splash Wall. You will 90% of the time NOT WIN without it. That being said, Ink Saver Main and Ink Saver Sub are necessities for this weapon.

2. Get the easy picks. The Bamboozler is great at finishing opponents off that are stuck in your ink. Picking off vulnerable targets is this weapons specialty. That said, Damage up is also necessary to make your basic tap shots strong enough to finish a weak inkling.

3. STAY ON YOUR TOES. The Bamboozler is quick enough to kill enemies very fast, but you have to be able to keep up. Always watch your back and have a Splash Wall ready to deploy. NEVER sit there firing off your weapon for more than 2-3 seconds.

4. Don't camp. This weapon, although it is a charger, is surprisingly solid at performing surprise attacks and going alternate routes, somewhat similar to the ink/octobrush. However, you should never go head on without at least one teammate behind you, unless absolutely necessary.

5. Using the Bamboozler on the right map is key. Using this weapon is very risky on these stages:
Blackbelly Skatepark. It's too small and doesn't give you enough room. You are likely to be attacked from any angle and standing on the center tower doesn't help because you don't have a sub to cover you up close. However, if your team can hold ground, the Bamboozler becomes a great support weapon
Port Mackerel. Although it may seem tempting due to the Splash Wall Sub and Killer Wail Special, if the enemy team successfully makes a push, you are utterly useless.
Flounder Heights. It's too vertical and it's got too many walls, and the range only makes it that much worse.

That said, some great stages for the Bamboozler are:
Saltspray Rig. There's a great amount of breathing room in this stage, all the Bamboozler needs to be a vital asset to a team.
Bluefin Depot. The walls in the center of the two branching paths provide a neat line of defense, and you can always play a bit more defensive by shooting from any of the 4 ledges on your side or the two high up paths closer two your spawn.

The Bamboozler has very specific, but usually multiple sniping points. Learn these and switch between them when the time is right. (I'll probably update this post with pictures on where these are, maybe make a guide out of it.)

6. You must have a great amount of map awareness and focus to play this weapon. I do not recommend it to anyone below A+ rank.

7. The Bamboozler has very poor ink coverage, at least 1 Special charge up main (or 3 subs) is needed.

8. Use smart Killer Wails. They're great tools to get a sniper or dynamo off their perch, and following it up with a Splashwall and a mix of Charge and tap shots makes way for easy splats.

Overall, the Bamboozler 14 MK 1 is a good weapon that's very versatile, but has very specific disadvantages that, when not all covered, will leave you defenseless on the battleground. Takes some real hard work to be a master of this weapon, but once you've got it down, it's a great addition to mostly any team comp.

P.S. PLEASE don't ever play this weapon in turf war, it's absolute garbage. Seriously. Don't do it. Ever.
I have won exactly one Turf War match while using this weapon. I have seen Bamboozlers on winning teams, not used by myself, three other times.

soujirou88

Inkster Jr.
NNID
soujirou88
Funny, I'm using the bamboozler 14 Mk1 for turf wars just to practice handling it before i blow my S rank using it again. I suppose I need to bite the bullet and descend. But Bottcapn, if you ever get specific details on how to use this weapons and such, I would really love to see ya post a guide on this weapon, on this site, if you won't mind that is. I really want to try to make this my secondary, but man is it an uphill battle.

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
I feel like the bamboozler is made for squads. On it's own, it's a rather terrible weapon with whom nobody should use but when your buddied with someone else who can provide pressure, it can net an easy 70% off your targets health making it much easier to push the advantage. The splash wall also helps your buddy survive even if you wind up dying and the Wail is just a good special for denying space. I feel like the bamboozler would be better if there was alot of communication going on and the only place to really do that is in squads. Otherwise, never use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom