The crosshair gets 'stuck' on the edges of walls and platforms, and other observations

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I only managed to play the last two testfires, so the amount of time I had to actually examine these things in-depth was minimal. As such, the following are probably obvious to some of you. I'll be testing more extensively when the game comes out, of course; anyone who wants to join in on that, feel free to drop in to the Imperious Lounge.

Using my last session to show examples:
4:17 - Guy superjumps with a roller from wherever he was and lands on me, you can see the ink starting to spread before he lands (i.e. high latency + rollers = rip in pepperoni).
5:30 - Crosshair problems of various kinds.
7:50 - Teammate superjumps to me but I'm already back in the corridor.
12:10 - One of the blue players has a lag spike when using a bomb special.
13:40 - Secondary damage seems to be 'victim'-side. If they were user-side, I would have probably died to this, since I was only barely out of the kill range on my end. This is probably why people are seeing delayed kills from secondaries but not from primaries.
17:20 - Crosshair getting stuck on a corner a number of times.
22:28 - Regaining ink at the same speed as being submerged while jumping long-distance;
22:50 - Crosshair getting 'stuck' on downward and upward slopes, then getting stuck on the corner of a crate (hard to see the latter due to quality)
24:08 - Crosshair getting 'stuck' on ledge, grenades going directly into floor
34:08 - Example of netcode in high latency situations. I take the guy out well before he's turned around, and he takes me out with him anyway; indicates that the game's netcode propagates the hits you land on your end and receives the hits you take on the other guy's end. Haven't been able to determine who has the advantage from this yet.
37:24 - Crosshair does not get the "X" indicator to show I'm in range, and I don't get any hitmarkers despite pretty obviously hitting the guy a couple times. Might be that the sound effect of me getting hit was overriding it or something weird like that.
38:30 - Both me and the guy I was shooting at get our crosshairs stuck on the corner, and trying to correct for this reset my aim to above his head (in his case he might have just been messing up his aim but he'd been in the lobby the whole time and hadn't missed many shots)
40:32 - Inking corridors with a roller gives very few points compared to doing so with a shooter or charger
44:00 - This is one of the dumber things I did
44:14 - Being in squid form but not submerged still restores some ink

General observations - Superjump location is locked the moment you click someone. So, to the people insisting that super jumps giving you six seconds to reposition once you know someone's coming is a reason why voice chat not being in the game is fine, you can go ahead and drop that line of argument.

Furthermore, the other team can see where you're going to land. If you superjump to someone who is about to get bopped, expect to get spawnkilled. Unless you have a roller, in which case you might be able to land on them with it lel

Also, walls don't give points and I don't think they give territory %. There's no reason to ink them unless you intend on climbing up them.

Finally, though this is probably my own bad aim more than anything else, low sensitivity is pretty crippling even if it helps make your aim more precise. Aiming with strafe + Y is probably going to be a thing for non-gyro users, fiddly though it may be.

joetext

Inkster Jr.
NNID
duncankeller
Good observations, thanks for the writeup. Walls not giving territory % was a surprising one to me. Makes me feel like a doof for making sure to get walls as I passed them. Although we'll obviously want to test and make sure that theory is true once the game is out. The crosshair stuff is pretty suspect as well, though I'm not surprised to see it in there.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
interesting that you regain ink superjumping and while in squid form unsubmerged. not sure of the practical applications of either of them, just an interesting thing

the crosshair being an actual representation of where you're going to hit instead of a static image on the center of your screen is nice, some shooters have been doing this (such as the recent metal gear titles and i think SOCOM?) and it just makes the information of where you're going to hit immediately readable, which is helpful i guess

walls do not give any % to your team and has no advantages other than climbing up walls, if you can't see your ink on the map on the gamepad then it doesn't count

anyway, helpful writeup

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
it just makes the information of where you're going to hit immediately readable, which is helpful i guess
in my case it screws up my aiming reflex since I'm so used to centre of screen = where I'm shooting, so it's something that people will need to get used to

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
in my case it screws up my aiming reflex since I'm so used to centre of screen = where I'm shooting, so it's something that people will need to get used to
very true. i play a lot of valve games and crosshairs are just static images there, so it takes some getting used to.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Checking some footage it looks like the particular ramp at 40:32 gives the same low point spread for other weapons. I looked at other tight corridors in other gameplay videos and they don't give lower points or more points for any weapon. It may be just that part of the ramp is counted as vertical and parts are horizontal.

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
I know that you gradually gain ink as long as you aren't shooting it do you think thats what is happening here? Or do you refill ink faster as a squid?

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Hmm i NEVER had any lag issues or crosshair issues :0

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom