• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dual Squelcher IS OP

TCSmith0812

Full Squid
So I'm the dual squelcher main for Squids Next Door and have used the dual squelcher ever since I started playing competitively. Playing competitively, it's very common to see a 52 gal, 96 gal, e-liter, Dynamo, tentatek, and Luna blaster on any given team. All of those weapons are considered to be among the best weapons in the game, which makes sense as to why the meta has developed for them so much. What I don't see very often at all is the dual squelcher however, and it confuses me because it counters literally every single OP weapon with ease. Using one damage up main and one sub counters any amount of defense up, ensuring a four shot splat with it. Using around a main or five subs of defense turns the tentatek into a four shot kill, makes the 52 gal a three shot kill, and may increase your survivabilty against blasters if they don't hit you directly enough, and forces snipers to charge their shots more to splat you. Using damage up and defense up causes the dual squelcher to counter all of those weapons (the ones I listed at the beginning and more) with ease. There is one exception however, the 96 gal. If you look at the weapons stats however, the dual squelcher has very very slightly more range than it. It also has splat bombs which can take out walls with ease. When asking 96 mains what weapon they have a really hard time dealing with, I either hear Dynamo or dual squelcher. With this weapon countering all of the most used weapons, why is this not more popular?!

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
because it takes four shots to kill and that can be quite troubling at times. more often than not, chargers with enough damage up can kill you faster than you can get the four shots in (and yes you can run defense up, but sometimes they can still effectively charge and splat you) . the luna blaster, splattershot and .52 gal are difficult to beat up close because of they're faster fire rate and damage. now obviously you could use the argument of just keep your distance, but that isn't always the case. some players are even aware enough that they can dodge the fourth shot after 3 have connected and get up close and splat you. now you can throw splat bombs at splash wall, but in doing so you can leave yourself somewhat open and can give the enemy a chance to splat you. now the dual squelcher is a strong weapon. it's my favorite weapon. i've used it the most out of all my other weapons and i got to S rank with it. i have switched it up to the forge, because of it's faster time-to-kill and in doing so also got to S+. it's four shots to kill can be really slow and unforgiving sometimes. it doesn't counter everything, it counters some at a distance, but that's about it. like i said. it's a strong weapon, but not really "OP". but this is just my experience with using it.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
^

Also, doesn't help with its fairly inaccurate shots meaning even if you are distancing yourself from enemies you might not get all of the shots necessary to splat. It's sub or special don't do a lot to mitigate these problems because Splat Bombs are best used as zoners and Echo is more of a support type special. A good jack of all traits but not really that effective in any category.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Compared to those other heavily used weapons it may be too support-oriented. I agree that it's a great weapon. Though if you're a dual squelcher main for SND, maybe you should tell US why people may not be using it that much. XD What do you find to be its weaknesses?

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
The squelchers in general seem more support-oriented, and they can be terribly unsafe in closer quarters. When they've got the range advantage, they are amazing, I agree. On the rarer occasions that I use shooters, I usually go for Dual Squelcher, mainly because I like the range capabilities without having to opt for a charger.

They seem to really excel at holding down the tower from a distance, but they don't cover enough ground fast enough in SZ or TW. Because of their more supportive role, they feel best-suited to Rainmaker & Tower Control, when support is always needed. Attack Ups can make them pretty deadly, but they overall can't kill nearly as quickly as Tentateks, Splooshes or some blasters, all of which can better handle closer encounters. I wouldn't call them OP. But when they've got a safe position and the range advantage, they can be very formidable.

Smychavo

Full Squid
NNID
llantonino
The squelchers in general seem more support-oriented, and they can be terribly unsafe in closer quarters. When they've got the range advantage, they are amazing, I agree. On the rarer occasions that I use shooters, I usually go for Dual Squelcher, mainly because I like the range capabilities without having to opt for a charger.

They seem to really excel at holding down the tower from a distance, but they don't cover enough ground fast enough in SZ or TW. Because of their more supportive role, they feel best-suited to Rainmaker & Tower Control, when support is always needed. Attack Ups can make them pretty deadly, but they overall can't kill nearly as quickly as Tentateks, Splooshes or some blasters, all of which can better handle closer encounters. I wouldn't call them OP. But when they've got a safe position and the range advantage, they can be very formidable.
I feel that support is always important no matter what gamemode you're playing. There should be one player constantly checking flanks and covering enemy turf when possible. I have managed to keep zone safe and secure a K.O countless times because I spotted and splatted an enemy player trying to flank. On the topic of the Dual Squelcher being OP, I feel that claim is exaggerated, given how you can pressure them into situations where Time To Kill would be a much bigger factor instead of range.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I feel that support is always important no matter what gamemode you're playing. There should be one player constantly checking flanks and covering enemy turf when possible. I have managed to keep zone safe and secure a K.O countless times because I spotted and splatted an enemy player trying to flank. On the topic of the Dual Squelcher being OP, I feel that claim is exaggerated, given how you can pressure them into situations where Time To Kill would be a much bigger factor instead of range.
That is definitely true, although personally I think support roles are generally safer to fulfill in modes like RM & TC, in which areas need clearing beforehand, as where SZ has more of a ticking clock. If support players wander too far from the central objective because they're trying to camp elsewhere or are generally less capable of providing aggressive defense, it causes problems. I have seen many Splat Zones lost because there are teammates spending too much time trying to flank from a side route, only to be killed, or trying to provide support from afar, but in Splat Zones time is precious and if you don't close in on the zones and claim the area, the opposing team will.

This also just factors into my general opinion though that SZ is a mode that doesn't offer much opportunity for big comebacks, and is based in camping. The team that claims the zones first almost always starts off with an advantage, unless they were only able to claim them very briefly, which is rare. Maybe I'm not the ideal person to speak on the matter though, since I don't like SZ much nowadays and try to avoid the mode lol. I guess a better way to word it would be, yes, support is always important. But the most effective support is often structured differently, or needs to be more adaptable, depending on the mode.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I would agree that the dual squelcher is very powerful. It feels like an incredibly well balanced weapon with a decent time to kill, great range, great sub and special which compliment each other. Also has decent ink efficiency and mobility. IMO, one of the best guns in the game.

But I suppose it has problems in close quarters and has issues going toe-to-toe with the .96 deco, which means some people won't use it. I often have good success in solo queue.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
As a charger main the Dual Squelcher is one of the hardest shooters to deal with. The Jet Squelcher may have more range, but shots from Jet Squelchers are usually easy to dodge and the .96 gal may take less shots but if the RNG are on your side (which they usually are) you can take them down before 2 shots actually go in the right direction.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Using one damage up main and one sub counters any amount of defense up, ensuring a four shot splat with it. Using around a main or five subs of defense turns the tentatek into a four shot kill, makes the 52 gal a three shot kill, and may increase your survivabilty against blasters if they don't hit you directly enough, and forces snipers to charge their shots more to splat you. Using damage up and defense up causes the dual squelcher to counter all of those weapons (the ones I listed at the beginning and more) with ease.
I have quite a few problems with this section. Let me list them:

1. Not many people actually run more than around 2 mains and 4 subs of Defense Up. You might benefit from having a sub or two of Damage Up, but do you really need to ensure a 4HKO against absolutely any amount? I'll admit that I'm no Dual Squelcher main, but foregoing mainstays like Swim Speed Up for the sake of countering perhaps 1 player in the world who runs 3 mains and 9 subs of Defense Up seems a bit excessive.

2. Just 1 main and a couple subs of Defense Up is not enough to reliably allow you to survive an extra hit. .52 Gals in particular usually run significant amounts of Damage Up, so such a middling amount of Defense Up just isn't going to cut it against them. Some Tentateks also run enough Damage Up (it only takes 3 subs) to counter that amount of Defense Up, and Blasters (apart from the Rapid family) are still going to 2HKO you most of the time.

3. The Dual Squelcher isn't the only weapon that can make good use of Defense Up. In particular, the .96 Deco can do so to a greater degree because it never has to worry about the enemy's Defense Up turning it into a 3HKO.

There is one exception however, the 96 gal. If you look at the weapons stats however, the dual squelcher has very very slightly more range than it.
There is no difference in their ranges. It only feels like there's a difference because of the .96's infamously poor accuracy, which makes it harder to hit distant targets with it. However, this is counterbalanced by the fact that if you are attacking someone who is just beyond your effective range, the .96's falling shots retain their 2HKO power better than the Dual Squelcher's shots retain their 4HKO power. (Thus, if neither weapon misses due to RNG, the .96 actually will fare better at the very outside of its range than the Dual Squelcher.)

It also has splat bombs which can take out walls with ease.
Bombs do not instantly solve all your problems when an enemy deploys a Splash Wall. The wall will still offer a brief moment of protection, and you and the enemy will expend roughly equal amounts of ink throwing the bomb and the wall. Thus, unless the enemy is stupid enough to walk in front of the wall and get killed by your bomb, you'll only manage to more or less reset the playing field by bombing the Splash Wall (which is to say that the .96 will still have the advantage due to quicker kill time). Also, bear in mind that the Tentatek still struggles against the .96 Deco despite being able to bomb Splash Walls.

Ultimately, the Dual Squelcher isn't a bad weapon. It's just not as easy to fit into a team composition as mainstays like the .96 Deco and Tentatek. The Dual Squelcher's relatively poor killing power means it is at a disadvantage against many other shooters (NOT the other way around), and since its range is less than that of the Jet Squelcher, it isn't completely safe when engaging Tentateks and .52's. It's certainly a solid weapon, but OP? Definitely not.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
When it comes to fighting off Splatteshot Jr. which has also Splat Bombs, it's long range also makes it possible to push away the Splat. Jr when it bubbles to, so that is one of the weapon set it counters perfectly good at.

But the echolocator is the biggest hit/miss you will have on the set, either no one on the opponent team will have coldblooded, or too many of them, and usually one is enough to destroy that, because of team members falling for traps when someone dodges it.

Becaue you can't use body gears in Splatfest, the Dual Squelcher definetly has an awesome edge right there!

The Custom version seems a bit better for actual support, especially when you have Squid Beakons to help your team forward, and the killer wail to also maim and trap the opponents.

But it does have decent coverage for a long range weapon, so in turf wars, i would say the Dual Squelcher have a high benefit for it's uses, but in Ranked, there seems to be better choices for it.

But to answer what the thread offered, the Dual Squelcher is not OP.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That is definitely true, although personally I think support roles are generally safer to fulfill in modes like RM & TC, in which areas need clearing beforehand, as where SZ has more of a ticking clock. If support players wander too far from the central objective because they're trying to camp elsewhere or are generally less capable of providing aggressive defense, it causes problems. I have seen many Splat Zones lost because there are teammates spending too much time trying to flank from a side route, only to be killed, or trying to provide support from afar, but in Splat Zones time is precious and if you don't close in on the zones and claim the area, the opposing team will.

This also just factors into my general opinion though that SZ is a mode that doesn't offer much opportunity for big comebacks, and is based in camping. The team that claims the zones first almost always starts off with an advantage, unless they were only able to claim them very briefly, which is rare. Maybe I'm not the ideal person to speak on the matter though, since I don't like SZ much nowadays and try to avoid the mode lol. I guess a better way to word it would be, yes, support is always important. But the most effective support is often structured differently, or needs to be more adaptable, depending on the mode.
I was reading the thread and would like to throw in my two cents here. I feel support definitely has a place in splat zones, and squelchers are pretty valuable for that... so says a squelcher main, but hey. You're right that there's a bit of camping involved, but all flavors of squelcher can do something that many weapons cannot: Ink reliably from relative safety.

If the squelcher user is unopposed by ranged fighters on the other team, or shorter ranged fighters can't get close due to positioning or teammates, it won't matter that they're relatively slow firing compared to other weapons because the area coverage is nonstop. It's slow but relentless, and it works, I've chewed my way to A rank and beaten many S-rank players (squads, natch) by hanging back and making it rain all day.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I was reading the thread and would like to throw in my two cents here. I feel support definitely has a place in splat zones, and squelchers are pretty valuable for that... so says a squelcher main, but hey. You're right that there's a bit of camping involved, but all flavors of squelcher can do something that many weapons cannot: Ink reliably from relative safety.

If the squelcher user is unopposed by ranged fighters on the other team, or shorter ranged fighters can't get close due to positioning or teammates, it won't matter that they're relatively slow firing compared to other weapons because the area coverage is nonstop. It's slow but relentless, and it works, I've chewed my way to A rank and beaten many S-rank players (squads, natch) by hanging back and making it rain all day.
Oh yeah, support is helpful, and often needed, in many situations. And the Dual's kit can allow for amazing map control. The problem is the weapon doesn't really excel at horizontal turf coverage (or really, turf coverage in general) and in SZ that's really a hugely important factor. It's true they can ink from afar, but from my experience they can't ink the amount needed to reclaim a zone, not on their own anyway, and not usually quickly enough (as you mentioned, the jet stream is unrelenting...but slow to cover. Which can be the killer in time-tight SZ). Maybe it's possible depending on the stage, it just doesn't seem that plausible based on a lot of what I've seen and experienced myself. I'm not saying it's always a terrible weapon for the mode, but it seems like a rough matchup to me, in most cases. Though if you're a Squelcher main you probably know better than me. ;) Heck, I'm a Dynamo main and can work my way into/out of a lot of situations that some wouldn't think Dynamo users could haha. :p

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Oh yeah, support is helpful, and often needed, in many situations. And the Dual's kit can allow for amazing map control. The problem is the weapon doesn't really excel at horizontal turf coverage (or really, turf coverage in general) and in SZ that's really a hugely important factor. It's true they can ink from afar, but from my experience they can't ink the amount needed to reclaim a zone, not on their own anyway, and not usually quickly enough (as you mentioned, the jet stream is unrelenting...but slow to cover. Which can be the killer in time-tight SZ). Maybe it's possible depending on the stage, it just doesn't seem that plausible based on a lot of what I've seen and experienced myself. I'm not saying it's always a terrible weapon for the mode, but it seems like a rough matchup to me, in most cases. Though if you're a Squelcher main you probably know better than me. ;) Heck, I'm a Dynamo main and can work my way into/out of a lot of situations that some wouldn't think Dynamo users could haha. :p
I keep hearing that squelchers don't excel at turf coverage, and I really think it's a bit of a misconception. I mean again, sure, relatively low fire rate. Still doesn't matter because the ink flies the length of a football field :P You can actually cover a large area quickly just because of the huge distance the ink is flying and dropping. I regularly outperform Aerospray nuts in turf war, haha. There's also the benefit of not having to actually travel to many spots for inking, you spend the same precious seconds just pulling the trigger that others gotta platform to.

To give some examples for splat zones, in Walleye Warehouse you can stand on the edge of the zone and completely ink the entire thing. Flounder Heights lets you ink one zone from the other. And Arowana Mall allows for coverage of most of the stage if your team can maintain control of the perches. The only stage that's ever given my squelcher trouble is Hammerhead Bridge, and that's kind of a cramped convoluted nightmare to begin with :P

Dual Squelcher isn't OP, neither is the Jet, but like most weapons it's a terror in the right hands :D

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I wouldn't really call the Dual Squelcher OP. Is it good in most situations? Sure, but close-range shooters can easily take them down if they get close enough and anything with a longer range can keep it at bay. Back when I used my Dual Squelcher I never felt at a disadvantage, but I never feel like I'm in control of the game either. On top of that, when the Heavy Splatling came out it pretty much gave me most of what I loved about the Dual Squelcher (aside of instant firing), as well as some close-range capability and added long-range potential, which is why I ended up favoring the Splatling. I even feel like I can deal with .96 Gals better with the Heavy Splatling since I can hold them at bay with my longer range, even if they whip out a Splash Wall or a Kraken. That said, the Heavy Splatling does struggle at splatting enemies at max range, but I do remember RNG screwing over some splats with the Dual Squelcher too :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom